News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guyute

Just started
"Team of Rivals, The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln"  by Doris Kearns Goodwin.   Written as a narrative of he and his cabinet excellent read so far.  I love here writing style.  She wrote a great memoir of the Brooklyn Dodgers for you baseball fans called "Wait Til Next Year"
Barack Obama "The Audacity of Hope" is next
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Still fucking reading "A Tale of two Cities"

:x

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

PhishJY

Quote from: Marmar on January 29, 2007, 10:18:42 AM
J-Cards.......

:-D

I'm currently working on my CCNA, so i'm reading CCNA Fast Pass 2nd Ed., by Todd Lammle. 

RIP + RIP v2 + OSPF + IGRP + EIGRP = Interesting Stuff
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

Red Sea Pedestrian

I'm just about to start reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I really liked Snow Crash, and this book looks even better.

cactusfan

finished The Road by McCarthy.
very sparse and very bleak.
but good!
not the dense, beautiful masterpiece that was Blood Meridian, but still excellent.

now i'm reading Against The Day, the new Pynchon novel.
it's loooong. and kind of all over the place. we'll see...

Hicks

Quote from: Red Sea Pedestrian on January 29, 2007, 01:49:01 PM
I'm just about to start reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I really liked Snow Crash, and this book looks even better.

One of my favorites, tried to read the Baroque Cycle but it was pretty tough.  I might re-attempt it at some point.  I really like Diamond Age by Stephenson as well.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

One Flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey. I am also reading The Book of Exodus, that tells the story of Bob Marley's expierences while making the Exodus album and purposes for making it. It goes into a lot of detail on Rastas. Pretty good read

Guyute

Quote from: PhishJY on January 29, 2007, 10:44:22 AM
:-D

I'm currently working on my CCNA, so i'm reading CCNA Fast Pass 2nd Ed., by Todd Lammle. 

RIP + RIP v2 + OSPF + IGRP + EIGRP = Interesting Stuff

Good stuff.  Don't forget to hit BGP and IPv6 as well.  MPLS would be good.  MPLS and BGP are in high use and IPv6 is 18-24 months from taking over the network space.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

bizarro jerry

I'm reading Summer of '49. Great stuff

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

cactusfan

Quote from: whyweigh2.0 on January 30, 2007, 12:43:27 AM
Slaughterhouse-five

so it goes.

there's a movie from the early '70s based on it. not bad, actually. the best attempt at filming vonnegut so far. rumour had it a year or two ago that leonardo dicaprio was having Cat's Cradle adapted for him to star in. haven't heard anything since about that one. i'd love to see a great movie of cat's cradle, kind of doubt it will come to pass. it's tough to pull off vonnegut on film, since his subject matter is always so bleak and serious, and it's only in the way he tells the story that makes you laugh your ass off.

rowjimmy

Comments on a couple entries before I share mine:
Tale of Two Cities- man, I did not want to read it for school. I did though and, while I dug it, the dissection in class nearly ruined it. I went back and read it again a couple years later... Awesome book. Don't sweat taking your time, iirc it's one that Dickens wrote as a serial, so a chapter a week is not too shabby.

CCNA, huh?
I've been meaning to study up on IPv6 to prepare for the future. If I stay in my current job, though, I'll probably spend more time on VoIP and it's necessary QOS this year; in addition to my regular duties as DBA. One of the joys for working in a small IT dept.

Kesey is a great writer, overshadowed by his pranksterism. I highly recommend "Sometimes A Great Notion" next. Its about 4 times as long but there's some serious meat in that puppy. Blew me away.

I am reading two books:
Grateful Dead Gear- fucking rules. I'm learning things about guitars, recording and sound re-enforcement that I wouldn't expect to learn from what is, on the outside, a coffee-table book.

And

Discarded Science, Ideas That Seemed Good At The Time...
By John Grant

Basically a run down on a shitload of the silly theories that man, primarily western man, has tried to use to explain life, the universe, and everything.

Guyute

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2007, 06:51:49 AM

CCNA, huh?
I've been meaning to study up on IPv6 to prepare for the future. If I stay in my current job, though, I'll probably spend more time on VoIP and it's necessary QOS this year; in addition to my regular duties as DBA. One of the joys for working in a small IT dept.

QOS is big.  VoIP and MPLS will be your primary IPv6 adopters.  Vista won't even support v4 for peer to peer networking.

Oh, I design a network management product.

End hijack

rowjimmy

Quote from: Guyute on January 30, 2007, 11:49:29 AM
QOS is big.  VoIP and MPLS will be your primary IPv6 adopters.  Vista won't even support v4 for peer to peer networking.

Oh, I design a network management product.

End hijack

Which one?