News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Aliens

Started by WhatstheUse?, July 27, 2023, 09:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 30, 2023, 04:17:00 AMHere's the thing - it's far more likely that alien life has existed at some time somewhere than it is likely that it exists now at this time somewhere. Billions of years and billions of areas of space. There is zero chance that we are the only sentient beings ever.... but there is also very little chance that we are the we will encounter any other sentient beings from other galaxies in our extremely brief time alive. That is how I see it.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Though to address Hicks' point about the universe/galaxy being so old that there's been plenty of time for other civilizations to reach interstellar maturity, you do need to factor in that the earliest stars were basic. all of the elements had to be made in stars which then had to explode to spread elements across the cosmos. This takes quite a bit of time. THEN the elements have to come together in just the right way (of which I'm sure there are many) for life and civilizations to thrive. This too takes time.

For any of it to get fast-tracked (by which I mean for life and civilizations to form on the earliest examples of element-rich planets) is not impossible but increasingly improbable.

justjezmund

Quote from: sunrisevt on July 30, 2023, 03:13:58 AM
Quote from: mbw on July 29, 2023, 04:28:54 PMCan't get 60 billion for Space Force without some alien scare.

Preach.

Yeah this makes the most sense.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.