News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

have you heard about...?

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, December 04, 2007, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

I remember quite the stir when Dogma came out. (the movie was not even remotely offensive, imo)
This will make that seem pretty mild.

agree RJ
Seems to me like you shouldn't criticize it unless you've seen it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

willsteele

Agreed.   But there was a stir about Dogma?  haha
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

kellerb

One of their trademarks is to make up their mind about things before they know anything about them, and then refuse to listen to reason when confronted with facts.  So yes, there will be 'protests' and 'boycotts,'  just like with harry potter and anything else they think is anti-christian.  It won't amount to much of anything beyond some loudmouths whining.

Its interesting that you can see a lot of the catholic spokespeople backing away from this sort of thing and trying to be level-headed (Beyond a few people like bill donahoe).  Its almost like they think of the vocal religious right as their crazy brother-in-law or their buddy who always ends up getting them into bar-fights.

bluecaravan521

Good book series...I was probably too young at the time to realize what was going on about killing god, but the second one was reallllyy cool- it was about a knife that could cut holes into other dimensions.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sunrisevt

Quote from: Bobafett on December 04, 2007, 01:34:15 PM
how do i kill a rock?

Couldn't we ask Muhammad Ali?

Quote from: kellerb on December 04, 2007, 04:07:06 PM
One of their trademarks is to make up their mind about things before they know anything about them, and then refuse to listen to reason when confronted with facts. 

There are nuts on all sides, but these "Christian" conservative types take the cake. Sad to say, I've actually had students--college freshmen--who didn't realize that there was not an established religion in the United States. And they had trouble grasping the concept, or recognizing the conflict that presented with their supposed valuing of "freedom."

During Women's Week down at UNC in '04, this group called "Feminists for Life" held a talk during the Take Back the Night Rally (way to play for the team, there...) I went to listen and see if I could learn anything about where they're coming from, try to better understand the Bible-belt mentality (after 3 years, it was still hard).

OK, honestly?... I got a buzz on and made a noisy nuisance of myself by asking pointed questions, which the speaker mostly couldn't answer. I did get her to admit she thought there were cases where abortion should be allowed, and even supported by public funds.

But what really surprised me was when I countered her claim that abortion is really risky. It isn't. Like it or not, medical abortion is statistically safer than childbirth. But this crowd? They didn't want to hear it--I got shouted down. They bring their own "facts" to the table, and that's it--no debate, just belief.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Wolfmansbrother

exactly
they can't seem to see the dividing line between faith and fact

Marmar

"Ok everyone...drink the kool-aid......"
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Mingus

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

- Martin Luther King Jr.
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 24, 2007, 10:34:02 PM
...ian anderson couldnt sing worth a damn and was wearing purple spandex pants with a bulge i could see from 20 rows back...

actually, now that i think of it, this might have been the best concert ever

kellerb

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on December 04, 2007, 09:57:43 PM
exactly
they can't seem to see the dividing line between faith and fact

Well, the whole point of faith is to believe something is fact.  Their real problem is that they are scared to test their faith against reason, logic, and things that people figure out via the scientific method.  The reason is that they are taught that they are not allowed to update or change their ideas about how God does things.  He uses magical powers to create animals and people, not naturally occurring phenomena like evolution that clearly occur in the universe he created.  They prefer their god to be a heterosexual Dumbledore, instead of a nerdy engineer-god.

jephrey

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wolfmansbrother

the main reason i chose to be an atheist was because i practice logical thinking

nab

Quote from: kellerb on December 04, 2007, 04:07:06 PM

Its interesting that you can see a lot of the catholic spokespeople backing away from this sort of thing and trying to be level-headed (Beyond a few people like bill donahoe).  Its almost like they think of the vocal religious right as their crazy brother-in-law or their buddy who always ends up getting them into bar-fights.

As a Catholic, thats exactly how I feel about the religious right.

And I got a kick out of Dogma.

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on December 05, 2007, 12:08:00 AM
the main reason i chose to be an atheist was because i practice logical thinking

Logical thinking and faith are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  The decision to engage or not engage in faith based beliefs is personal, but also problematic for every single human being.  The fact that we have to confront the question in our own manner, to me any way, implies that there is something in human nature that must confront the existence of the other, that which is beyond their understanding.  This confrontation is a completely (at least for some  :-D) logical step.  It is just as ignorant to believe that people who choose faith based beliefs over non-faith based beliefs are somehow inferior in their reasoning skills as it is for those who choose faith based beliefs to condemn non-faith based beliefs.  The confrontation exists.

Some rise to this confrontation through their faith in reason, some abdicate this confrontation to faith in another power.  Either way, we must make some sort of decision in order to communicate our beliefs to others, being the social animals that we are.
My inability to reason to absolute perfection led me to abandon atheism and embrace the faith I was raised with. 

Those who use the idea of faith when they really mean political power are lying to either themselves or to those they speak to; those who listen to them.       

sunrisevt

Quote from: nab on December 05, 2007, 01:56:58 AM
Logical thinking and faith are not necessarily mutually exclusive. 

Excellent point, nab. My second-term writing class touches on this theme, and I've had the same trouble getting kids from a northeastern liberal-humanist background to recognize this, that I did in Carolina, getting Baptist kids to recognize that a firm belief in Christ, Savior wasn't the same thing as an experimentally verified scientific fact. Happily, in most cases in both regions, their habits of thought are still pretty supple, not rigid & brittle, and they manage to stretch a little.

Quote from: Mingus on December 04, 2007, 11:34:33 PM
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

I love that one. +k to both.

Edit to add: Let's hear it for AACB for starting the thread. How about it everyone? AACB, take a bow for the people...  :clap:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

willsteele

This is way off the topic but....

I read this quote about a year ago in Rolling Stone and thought it was brilliant.  For some reason it inspired me.  I actually keep the cutout from the magazine in my wallet.  I don't know, I just find it interesting and enlightening in a way.  And lets not forget that this guy made the funkiest music known to man.

"A colored is a very frightened-to-death Afro-American. A Negro is one that makes it in the system, and he wants to be white. A nigger, he's loud and boisterous, wants to be seen. Nobody likes a nigger. A black man has pride. He wants to build, he wants to make his race mean something. Wants to have a culture and art forms. And he's not prejudiced. I am a black American man. Now you go ahead and print it." - James Brown, 1982
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.