News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

have you heard about...?

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, December 04, 2007, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

so there's always things i want to ask, but don't feel like starting up a new thread everytime i hear something odd
in the news or about certain things...
even if i do, or anyone does for that matter... the thread gets like 2 responses and it's done...

so maybe we can use this thread to post random crap we hear about different things, ie: movies, music, stuffs, etc...

like today...
i just read this... i've not heard about this movie yet..
i'm not trying to start a God debate either... i just think it's interesting and am surprised it hasn't gotten
as much heat as i would have expected....

QuoteTHE GOLDEN COMPASS, a new movie targeted at children, will be released
December 7, 2007. This movie is based on a the first book of a trilogy
by atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book a boy and girl kill God
so they can do as they please. Pullman left little doubt about his
intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "My books are about
killing God."
The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed
to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their
children to see the the movie and that the children will want the
books for Christmas.
The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig,
and Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised extensively, so it is
crucial that we get the word out to warn people to avoid this movie.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

willsteele

I'm not down with killing anybody....but I'm not down with "god" either.  Or organized religion for that matter. 

But yeah I would expect this one to get a lot of criticism.  ALOT.  But its only entertainment right?  Plus, I'm down with any movie with Sam "Gar" Elliott.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

sunrisevt

Oh yeah, I think we can safely assume we'll be hearing from some right-wing nutjobs on this one, whether or not the movie is any good. Let's hope it enters the Republican primary debates, and they make fools of themselves.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Bobafett

i thought the previews looked cool, had no idea of the plot...i will still see it, and maybe continue working on my plan to kill god, since he's everywhere, don't i just need to remove all sensory experiences from everyone, thereby killing everyone?  and how do i kill a rock?
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

willsteele

Quote from: Bobafett on December 04, 2007, 01:34:15 PM
and how do i kill a rock?

THE Rock or just A rock?  Either way this movie may provide some insight.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Marmar

Quote from: sunrisevt on December 04, 2007, 12:56:02 PM
Oh yeah, I think we can safely assume we'll be hearing from some right-wing nutjobs on this one, whether or not the movie is any good. Let's hope it enters the Republican primary debates, and they make fools of themselves.

To keep the spirit alive here....

How about this......one of the Repubs running for office of Grand Pubah is an ordained minister!?!?!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE! IS THERE NOT A SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE???? LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE PISSING ON THIS PART OF THE CONSTITUTION NOW!

Why isn't everyone up in arms about this?......oh that's right....because the general population is friggin brainwashed into letting this happen....

Just like we're brainwashed into believing that this is a 2 party political system......folks, you know how they keep arguing about term limits?.....how about this....QUIT VOTING FOR INCUMBENTS!

I give this country 2 more presidents before it all goes to hell at our expense......

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Marmar

PS: You kill a rock with paper....everyone knows that!
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

willsteele

Props Marmar.  Couldn't agree more.  I have long voted for "other" parties and will continue to do so.  And no, I do not feel like I am wasting my votes.

sophist

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on December 04, 2007, 12:43:50 PM
so there's always things i want to ask, but don't feel like starting up a new thread everytime i hear something odd
in the news or about certain things...
even if i do, or anyone does for that matter... the thread gets like 2 responses and it's done...

so maybe we can use this thread to post random crap we hear about different things, ie: movies, music, stuffs, etc...

like today...
i just read this... i've not heard about this movie yet..
i'm not trying to start a God debate either... i just think it's interesting and am surprised it hasn't gotten
as much heat as i would have expected....

QuoteTHE GOLDEN COMPASS, a new movie targeted at children, will be released
December 7, 2007. This movie is based on a the first book of a trilogy
by atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book a boy and girl kill God
so they can do as they please. Pullman left little doubt about his
intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "My books are about
killing God."
The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed
to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their
children to see the the movie and that the children will want the
books for Christmas.
The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig,
and Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised extensively, so it is
crucial that we get the word out to warn people to avoid this movie.
Why hasn't anyone else pointed out the blatant plagiarism of this plot?  Nietzsche killed God back in 1870's
been there, done that. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

willsteele

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Wolfmansbrother

Quote from: phan003 on December 04, 2007, 01:55:54 PM

Why hasn't anyone else pointed out the blatant plagiarism of this plot?  Nietzsche killed God back in 1870's
been there, done that. 

:clap:

rowjimmy

They watered down and pretty much removed the overt athiest portions of the story when writing the screenplay in order to avoid angering up the religious nuts. It hasn't worked. They're already plotting to boycott the film even though they haven't seen it. :roll:

whatever. I'll be taking my eldest daughter simply to spite them.

willsteele

I hate when they remove overt atheist portions of anything.  Its like they are censoring and discriminating against MY religion....err....nonreligion.