News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on December 11, 2015, 11:04:44 AM

I thought Jessica Jones was cool for a few episodes but didn't bother to finish it.

I dig the Marvel Cinematic Universe crossovers, but tying them into each other with references to the Avengers movies seems a little... cheesy?

I thought they were subtle enough with it in Daredevil. It's a MAJOR event in NYC and they live in NYC.
The tie-ins with Agents of SHIELD (which is a show I love) have been way more direct and, sometimes very well executed. You can see them building up to Civil War now.

mattstick

Not related to Netflix, but I loved Antman and the tie-in with Falcon, raiding the Avengers HQ, etc.

Mr. Natural

DO I SOUND GAY?

Great idea for a documentary. Don't be fooled by the trailer, though - this is mainly about one dude's journey. One not-always-very-likeable dude. The interviews he scores are great: Tim Gunn, David Sedaris, Takei, Savage, et al. Unfortunately, they only come in every 10 - 15 minutes. When the medical professionals are breaking down speech patterns, or we're hearing from notable gay figures and their own struggles - it works. When we're stuck in the filmmaker's melancholia - not so much. But it is interesting to listen to his 'progress,' and his discussions with his bros about what exactly is gained and lost through that progress.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 11, 2015, 11:31:44 AM
Quote from: mattstick on December 11, 2015, 11:04:44 AM

I thought Jessica Jones was cool for a few episodes but didn't bother to finish it.

I dig the Marvel Cinematic Universe crossovers, but tying them into each other with references to the Avengers movies seems a little... cheesy?

I thought they were subtle enough with it in Daredevil. It's a MAJOR event in NYC and they live in NYC.
The tie-ins with Agents of SHIELD (which is a show I love) have been way more direct and, sometimes very well executed. You can see them building up to Civil War now.

I totally agree, and love SHIELD also. Jessica Jones was amazing. I really liked it. Finally a comic book show for adults!! Dagny and I watched  the whole season over the Thanksgiving weekend.  The wife didn't really get into Daredevil, so I've been watching that one by myself in my free time away from her. I'll be watching the last episode of the season today. Looking forward to season 2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders that will be coming down the pipes next.
I'm thinking that The Defenders is going to be insanely good. For those who don't know The Defenders are a street-level Avengers consisting of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist (at least those are the members of the TV version, in the books Dr. Strange usually features prominently in The Defenders).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

Finally gave in to watching Making a Murderer last night.  I wasn't overly impressed after the first episode but kept going.  After 6 episodes, I made myself go to bed.  Shit got crazier and crazier with each episode.  You can't make this shit up.  I'll leave it at that since I don't want to give away anything.  I plan on finishing it tonight.

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

I've only watched two and I'm trying to carve out time for more asap.

mattstick

Yeah I think we're 4 or 5 deep on Making A Murderer.  Frustrating to watch but totally compelling, reminds me of old school 90s A&E True Crime dramas.

mehead

Quote from: mattstick on January 05, 2016, 08:36:46 AM

Yeah I think we're 4 or 5 deep on Making A Murderer.  Frustrating to watch but totally compelling, reminds me of old school 90s A&E True Crime dramas.

The phone calls between Brandon and his mom - BRUTAL!!

"Yeah"
"Yeah"
"Yeah"
"Yeah"

I can literally feel my brain cells dying

mattstick

Yeah? Yeah.

There is some kind of regional use of the word "yet" as well.

emay

have seen a bunch of hype around that series looks good.

I recently finished the Jinx on HBO and its pretty creeepy

mehead

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on January 05, 2016, 10:32:01 AM
have seen a bunch of hype around that series looks good.

I recently finished the Jinx on HBO and its pretty creeepy

If you liked the Jinx, you will like this. IMO, it takes a couple of episodes for it to get going.  But once it does...........

McGrupp

I've been watching making a murder too.

God damn...

Frustrating as hell to watch. I can't peel myself away, though.

I've got 2 episodes left.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mehead

Be sure to do some fact checking once you've finished before drawing a final conclusion.  I've read that a lot of key pieces of evidence that were presented in court were left out of the documentary and the film makers' angle was certainly from Avery's side.  Just saying....

McGrupp

Quote from: mehead on January 05, 2016, 01:28:08 PM
Be sure to do some fact checking once you've finished before drawing a final conclusion.  I've read that a lot of key pieces of evidence that were presented in court were left out of the documentary and the film makers' angle was certainly from Avery's side.  Just saying....

I read that as well.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

zimbra

Is it acceptable to post Amazon Prime recommendations in this thread? I feel like the movie is worth it so I'm going to anyways..

Timbuktu (2014) *Must watch with subtitles*

QuoteNot far from the ancient Malian city of Timbuktu, proud cattle herder Kidane (Ibrahim Ahmed aka Pino) lives peacefully in the dunes with his wife Satima (Toulou Kiki), his daughter Toya (Layla Walet Mohamed), and Issan (Mehdi Ag Mohamed), their twelve-year-old shepherd. In town, the people suffer, powerless, from the regime of terror imposed by the Jihadists determined to control their faith. Music, laughter, cigarettes, even soccer have been banned. The women have become shadows but resist with dignity. Every day, the new improvised courts issue tragic and absurd sentences. Kidane and his family are being spared the chaos that prevails in Timbuktu. But their destiny changes abruptly.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio