News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Treys New Project Review by YOU

Started by wookme, April 15, 2005, 11:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wookme

Well, yeah im kinda back. Been away from week4paug for a bit... Spring break tripping on stuff ;) and also school and work...

Ive been seeing these postings and I see alot of favorites.. Lets chat about something interesting and something new.. or old...

Well anyway, Treys new project was recently seeded and I took a listen. Anyone have anything to say about how it sounds.?
To me it sounds more jazzy and the jam sessions sound real jazzy. But I dont know if I like it or I don't like it. I would still just rather listen to the older stuff..

What about you wooks?  :lol:

jedifunk

i'm actually listneing to it right now and on 1st & 2nd listens i don't like it that much.  i did like some of the older trey stuff, but at this point you can really tell that his new band hasnt gel'd yet.  nothing really stands out and grabs me.  and what an aweful rendition of Its Ice, trey should be ashamed of himself that.  completely butchered it.  just aweful.

very disappointing.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Itsnotanexperience

dull, dull, dull.........not much fun to listen to and not super dancey,
which means no airplay in my car stereo which means no desire to catch
him live..........just a reminder to me that phish were far more than a sum
of their individual parts..........i'm far more into mike gordon's solo work and
the band endeavors he's pursued since hiatus and since the breakup.

jedifunk

i agree completely.  although i havent really given mikes stuff a listen.

but the sum of its parts stuff is right on!
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ucusty

it is ok.  I only going to 3 instead of the first 7.  Have phun, hopefully he'll play some phish material

jedifunk

see, i dont want him to play phish material.  if he wants to play phish material, bring phish back.  otherwise he should play his new trey band material.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

mikesgroovin56

Quote from: jedifunksee, i dont want him to play phish material.  if he wants to play phish material, bring phish back.  otherwise he should play his new trey band material.

amen

bellybuttonfunk

Quote from: jedifunksee, i dont want him to play phish material.  if he wants to play phish material, bring phish back.  otherwise he should play his new trey band material.

right on.  it can't be said any better than that.

jephrey

One thing to say about him playing Phish stuff...  It was fantastic to hear the solo acoustic stuff when he first started playing with Tony and Russ.  I do think there are songs that are meant to be played by other bands like CTB, or in Page's case Lawnboy (even though its got the "Michael Gordon ladies and gentlemen" part), or even if fishman were to play Limb by Limb.  And trey has plenty of solo stuff that he can play with his bands, and even stuff that originated there like Sand or Jibboo.  I do agree though, that playing It's ice, or most Dude songs or definite Phish material (without totally screwing with the arrangement of the whole song), wouldn't excite me to listen to it.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

I was underwhelmed by the Higher Ground show.

Let's hope they were too and it inspires them to practice... a lot.

At this point, I'm kind of wishing that I wasn't seeing the first show of tour. Last show will be better.

mattstick

The show was tons of fun - the AUDs from the back of the bar don't cut it compared to the energy up front.  Trey and Skeeto are ON and ROCKING.

Now with Superjam in NOLA added to the tour I'm so excited I can barely work.  Only 6 more work days 'til tour.

Itsnotanexperience

well, that's cool some people are into the trey stuff.........but somehow, w/o
mike, fish and page, i'm starting to see trey's limitations......not the greatest
voice......his chops are seriously like 1/10th of what they used to be......he really
sounds like an old man in many ways........he doesn't sound like he's on the cutting edge
of anything, or even playing material that holds my interest........i'd honestly
rather listen to an over-the-top band like umphrey's than trey - hell there's like 4 bands
in st. louis that i'd much rather see than trey.........it doesn't make at all happy to say
that, it makes me very sad - i really thought he'd unleash some magic, but it's not
working for me:(

kitaki

i just got done listening to the higher grounds show and was really suprised by such a lacking of tightness in the songs and jamming. i also noticed that it is a lot more jazzy sounding. IMO, the old trey band was much more fun watching and listening to. skeeto is a tight drummer coming from a band here in detroit called "The Brothers Groove". i also agree with jedi on the fact that they totally butchered it's ice and in my eyes really have no reason to cover phish tunes. they have plenty of other and new material they can use. the only show i'm catching is the columbus show and i honestly hope that they've gotten it together a little better by then.
Everybody knows that wooks can't play chess.

mattstick

I think they really dropped the ball not releasing the SBD of this - people have become accustomed to SBDs, and with all due respect to the tapers, it's just not the same (and those tapes don't sound that hot, imo).

Listening to a mediocre AUD of a new band just won't cut it for most people.

Wait until you hear this band in person before you pass judgement.

jedifunk

i'm sure (or perhaps, i hope) they get better as they go.  i dont see how they cant
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio