News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Other Group Poll

Started by wookme, March 21, 2005, 02:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wookme

Maybe this has been a poll before, but other than phish, who do you like? Talking somewhat unknown groups, phish is very known.. Here are some choices..

jedifunk

dont like none of them.

talking heads!
indie hip hop
some dub/electronic/beats
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

none for me.
radiohead,cake and ween.

jephrey

I went with the Biscuits because I had a great experience at one of their shows in Chicago...   Umphrey's.  I haven't seen them live but I downloaded a couple shows and really liked a few tracks (good Talking Heads cover taboot).  I'll go with Jedi on the Talking Heads.  I have 2 bands that I say are timeless, Talking Heads, and Bob Marley.  Either of them could put out some stuff from years ago today and it'd be a hit.  Crosseyed is one of the best tunes, and this one that Umphrey's plays (Making Flippy Floppy) from their NYE 2004 show is killer. [download that show Jedi, you'll like that and a song called Andy's Last Beer among others].  anyhoo.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

wookme

man, you guys arent really into jambands then, I mean I love indie and all that, but thats odd too.. I guess great musicians have an open mind!

kitaki

honestly, i'v heard of all the choices, yet have not heard any of their music. i guess i haven't been to motivated to check out a lot of other jam bands.
i like widespread panic and moe. but wouldn't go as nearly nuts about as i did with phish.
theres a good jam band here in detroit called The Brothers Groove. their drummer(skeeto) just joined the trey band for this up coming tour. i'm going to have to catch the columbus show i think.
i'm open ears to most music.
Everybody knows that wooks can't play chess.

rowjimmy

ummm If i have to pick a jamband, it's not on the list.

Steve Kimock Band.

Otherwise I might say something like, well, one of 1000 bands out right now.
Neil Young, Radiohead, GYBE!, Silver Mt. Zion, Del McCoury Band (the REAL DMB!), Phil & Friends' latest incarnation, moe.,  The Rapture, Interpol, Flaming Lips, Polyphonic Spree, Brian Wilson...

Favorite band that I've never actually heard: Special Ed and The Shortbus Allstars

mattstick

If it's not jazz it's crap!

as far as non-jazz goes, lately I've been listening to Phoenix, The Postal Service, LCD Soundsystem, new Beck, Juana Molina....

wookme

thats still alot of indie there guys.. maybe we can rename this, what other jambands do you like?

but yeah I love indie, saw beck live, great shows.. all stuff is good, KEANE is good too..

jedifunk

i also enjoy postal service, stereolab, good house (dj dimitri from paris), indie hip hop.

i dont enjoy..... jambands.  they suck ;)
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick{{.ca}}If it's not jazz it's crap!

I never bother listing my jazz fazs as they flux and vary and are a bit broad... so I'll simply say Jazz.

And if you tell me that Mile Davis didn't lead a jamband... I'll send you back to school.

Hicks

Raq and STS9 are probably my favorite other "jam bands" but really I'm more into electronic music, hip hop, and a few other rock bands some of my favorites are:  

Ween, Radiohead, Beck, The Orb (especially the old stuff), Luke Vibert, DJ Shadow and the entire Quannum crew, GYBE!, Broken Social Scene and the rest of those Montreal bands including Arcade Fire although they aren't related, DFA stuff (big ups to the props for LCD Soundsystem, my friend is in that band!), Jurassic 5, MF Doom, Madlib, Air, Flaming Lips (although I suspect this band has jumped the shark), Medeski Martin and Wood to name a few. .  .
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

hey jedi, a night at the playboy mansion has always been one of my favorite albums.

jedifunk

aug- have you heard the sequel? after the playboy mansion?  its a 2 disc set and is classic Dimitri, i enjoy it, especially the last track on disc 2:
harold melvin & the bluenotes- dont leave me this way

i've always imagined phish playing this and ripping it into a 30 minute monster jam!!!!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

i know of it, but never picked it up. i am gonna track one down tonight.i dont know if you like daft punk, but their new album is way underrated.and their first two are super sick if you are into house.
ikki threw out some good names, luke vibert has an album called yoseph that rips and any dj shadow is worth a listen.peace.aug.