News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd. 2: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest vs. Amadeus

Started by cactusfan, May 14, 2012, 03:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

khalpin

cactusfan

the Milos Forman battle.

Cuckoo's Nest wins this one easy.

barnesy305

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I think you guys need to revisit it. I'm not tryin to make a case of Amadeus over Cuckoo's Nest but I do think it belongs in the contest.

Amadeus has superb writing, acting, and vision. 
Period costumes that either fade from the focus (because it isn't about wigs) or pull into the fore (because wigs are ridiculous) seamlessly.

It has a stunning sense of humor that could have but totally does not overshadow the overall seriousness of the piece.

The music aids in the storytelling rather than interrupt it.

And allow me to mention, once again, the acting. F.urray Abraham and Tom Hulce are awesome in this film (yes, Jeffery Jones is good too.) the entire cast rises up around these two to captivate an audience.

Maybe it had too many notes for you, though.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 14, 2012, 09:28:27 PM
I think you guys need to revisit it. I'm not tryin to make a case of Amadeus over Cuckoo's Nest but I do think it belongs in the contest.

Period costumes that either fade from the focus (because it isn't about wigs) or pull into the fore (because wigs are ridiculous) seamlessly.

It has a stunning sense of humor that could have but totally does not overshadow the overall seriousness of the piece.

And allow me to mention, once again, the acting. F.urray Abraham and Tom Hulce are awesome in this film (yes, Jeffery Jones is good too.) the entire cast rises up around these two to captivate an audience.

I never said it was a shitty movie, it won a shit ton of awards, including 8 Oscars. Should it have made it past Chinatown? No fucking way. Besides, we both know I'm all about the notes, now you're just digging for clams.

susep

agreed, so did the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

Academy Awards 1984

Best Actor in a Leading Role (F. Murray Abraham)
        Best Adapted Screenplay (Peter Shaffer)
        Best Art Direction (Karel Černý and Patrizia von Brandenstein)
        Best Costume Design (Theodor Pištěk)
        Best Picture
        Best Director (Miloš Forman)
        Best Makeup (Dick Smith and Paul LeBlanc)
        Best Sound Mixing (Mark Berger, Thomas Scott, Todd Boekelheide and Christopher Newman)

cactusfan

i like Amadeus a lot, too. it'd probably make it into my top 100, but not 50. whereas Chinatown is an easy top 10. and Cuckoo's Nest is definitely somewhere in my top 50.

of course in '84 i just couldn't get over how awesome it was that Otter from Animal House was Mozart.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

Tough to vote against Amadeus, but in the end....I Want My Cigarettes!!!!

phil

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

aphineday

If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

VDB

Being that it was a long time ago when I saw (possibly only bits of) Cuckoo's Nest, I'm sitting this one out as I can't offer a fully informed vote.

But lemme know when I need to swoop in and cast the tiebreaker.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul