News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Apple Barred From Assisting Customers With Malware?

Started by fauxpaxfauxreal, May 24, 2011, 10:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

A quick scan of the Mac App store finds at least a couple of virus/malware apps

ytowndan

Quote from: mattstick on May 24, 2011, 06:23:23 PM
A quick scan of the Mac App store finds at least a couple of virus/malware apps

OK, I was assuming that was the case, but I wanted to make sure. 

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 24, 2011, 11:53:37 AM
Anyone who is sucker enough to authorize the installation of a virus on their mac (read: they typed in their password!) is a joke to me.

I agree with RJ.  This sounds exactly like Ubuntu, in the sense that nothing can be installed on its own (you have to verify it by consciously entering your password), and basically everything you would ever need can be obtained from an official OS endorsed source.  Common sense is your virus protection on any Unix based OS.  Downloading and installing something (that you don't even need in the first place) from a third party source is just asking for trouble. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

my ISP provides Norton for pc and mac as a free d/l. After the post I alluded to on the other thread, I d/l and installed norton for mac. the 1st scan picked up one trojan. I don't know if that's related to the pop unders I saw or not. fwiw, I haven't seen that particular one again (yet).
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Pholy M. Pia

We had a MacDefender window pop up on my wife, running Safari with popups blocked and click-to-flash installed as she was viewing a familiar hotmail page. It gave the message that everyone has been paraphrasing, you are infected, etc... and had very slick graphics and fonts going on. Not quite "Mac-y" but close enough for a new user perhaps. It gave 2 options, to download the scanning software or cancel, which is what she did. The malware still began to download a string of 5 or 6 windows and unix suffixed files. Trying to close the window was not working at this point, so I forced Safari to quit and tossed the files.
Best advise to a new Safari user is to disable the auto-opening of "safe" downloaded files.
Interesting show of interest in the mac user base from the hacker community! I'd be curious about the numbers of people who were lured.
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Pholy M. Pia on May 24, 2011, 08:31:37 PM
We had a MacDefender window pop up on my wife, running Safari with popups blocked and click-to-flash installed as she was viewing a familiar hotmail page. It gave the message that everyone has been paraphrasing, you are infected, etc... and had very slick graphics and fonts going on. Not quite "Mac-y" but close enough for a new user perhaps. It gave 2 options, to download the scanning software or cancel, which is what she did. The malware still began to download a string of 5 or 6 windows and unix suffixed files. Trying to close the window was not working at this point, so I forced Safari to quit and tossed the files.
Best advise to a new Safari user is to disable the auto-opening of "safe" downloaded files.
Interesting show of interest in the mac user base from the hacker community! I'd be curious about the numbers of people who were lured.

I knew it had to be a bigger problem than "user error".  Thanks for the elaboration.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thatfargone

Well gotta ask, has everyone experiencing issues with this fully updated?  Including the newest Apple security update from a few weeks ago?

With slslbs's info it sounds like it is working exactly like tojans that affect pcs which are typically from your computer having old virus definitions and visiting sites full of flash ads.

I know for a fact that many of these even use common antivirus softwares to pass it on.  While working for the community college we got a bad one that was being spread by our protection software and they were never able to clean it from the network completely and common sites I visited could just suddenly pop up this type of crap.

Its interesting that the mac users here with issues seem to use norton and/or chrome.  Two things I do not and no one else I know with macs use.  Other than than these reports and the article above, I've heard and seen nothing.

Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

rowjimmy

I've never seen this nonsense on my mac running Chrome.

/just sayin'

thatfargone

Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

sls.stormyrider

I usually keep my mac updated.
I'll double check the date of last update when I get home.
I know lots of people that use chrome, including people that work in the local Apple store.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

ph92

Quote from: slslbs on May 25, 2011, 12:24:05 PM
I usually keep my mac updated.
I'll double check the date of last update when I get home.
I know lots of people that use chrome, including people that work in the local Apple store.

Cause all explorers that come with the OS (with the exception on the Chrome OS) SUCK! IE sucks major dick, I never like safari, though it does look nice. But firefox and chrome r00l!
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/