News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2010 Widespread Panic Tour Thread

Started by sophist, January 19, 2010, 11:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnesy305

Quote from: mehead on February 10, 2016, 04:18:12 PM
Waaaaaaay too much Disco Biscuits conversation going on in here.

Yeah, we're better than that, let's get back to bashing second tier jambands.

Hicks

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on February 10, 2016, 03:19:02 PM
Quote from: Hicks on February 10, 2016, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on February 10, 2016, 11:58:11 AM
Its crazy how tailored their tours are to pretty much just the South East and deep south and then like 3 sold out red rocks shows from all the southern transplants that have moved here.

Most of the jamband scene is like that though, look at Bisco I don't think they've played here in the NW in the last 10 years.

I was pretty surprised to see Dopapod out here last year, I hope they come back but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

true, but what the disco biscuits are doing isnt even considered touring to me. That is their business model now, brownie has said they wont tour. Its not safe for them or their fanbase. What they are doing is just destination type runs. Yeah, those are very tailored to their markets as well, pretty much NYC, CO, Philly, select few NE cities and Dominican Holidaze. I dont think they have had more than like 7-8 shows planned over a 5 month period which is not really touring in my book.
There are still bands like Tribe and umphreys and stuff that still have these long tours through the whole US where I imagine they have some somewhat empty shows some nights in places. Which was always the exciting part of touring for me, you pull up in a town that youve never been to before, for a mid week show, and find out the band has either a heavy or no following at all there, and the band responds with a heater. Now it just seems like that type of touring is dying off. If the band only sells out half the venue then that stop is most likely cut for the next tour, which sucks because its hard to build a following in those locations if you just cut them out after 1-2 tries, but that's business.

Back on topic, how did you like those STS9 shows? 

Streamed the second night of the Fillmore and thought it was pretty sick. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: sophist on February 10, 2016, 01:47:51 PM
Last night was really weird.  Home town shown in the classic city, but it felt more like a funeral.  I've never ever walked out of venue and everyone is dead fucking silent.  That happened.  It was surreal.  Even the band had that feel like when Vic died.  Just pouring one out for that who has passed. 

I get the hate, at the same time, it has been a really weird trip without him, and I just got to a place of really liking Duane (not that the me matters)  And to have that "disrupted" with Todd being back only for that to crumble.  It's heavy to me.  It's sad, but it is also for the best.

I'm by no means a Panic expert but I'm in the thread so here goes.

First of all, Duane is probably wondering why this couldn't have been decided before Mexico.

What was up with Todd anyway? Dr00gz? Booze? Hookers?

I can see the criticism of him being a fairly predictable drummer (kick-snare-kick-kick-snare-repeat) though I had always chalked that up more to it being their "sound" versus him being just bad. I will trust the word of those who know more about this than I, however.

P.S. Duane Trucks has a great(?) stache.
Is this still Wombat?

sophist

Night and day difference between Athens and Savannah.  Savannah was akin to the NYE run in my mind.  Lots of energy.  Some incredible playing, and a really dirty old school 2nd set.  I'm very happy I made the last minute trip down there for it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sophist on February 29, 2016, 01:35:39 PM
Night and day difference between Athens and Savannah.  Savannah was akin to the NYE run in my mind.  Lots of energy.  Some incredible playing, and a really dirty old school 2nd set.  I'm very happy I made the last minute trip down there for it.

Rough end to the tour for some fans - http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/savannah-police-ran-an-undercover-drug-sting-at-widespread-panics-tour-closer
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 07, 2016, 03:26:50 PM
Quote from: sophist on February 29, 2016, 01:35:39 PM

Rough end to the tour for some fans - http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/savannah-police-ran-an-undercover-drug-sting-at-widespread-panics-tour-closer

Savannah is a city with real actual crime going on every day. But shooting fish in a barrel at a WSP show is a great opportunity to boost your arrest numbers and make people think you're doing something about crime while actually doing nothing about crime at all.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sophist

I was only drinking water inside and the logistics of that place had people waiting 30-40 minutes to buy beer.  As a result when I wanted to fill up my water bottle, I had to walk a decent bit around the arena to get to the closest water fountain.  I saw at one point 2-3 people up against a wall with handcuffs on. I didn't see a tank inside though. 

We briefly walked shakedown post show.  Funny we thought it was a shell of itself.  Hardly raging.  Just the same 5-6 people vending bad food and ugly looking clothes. 

I agree with Dave, once you get past midtown and the historic district, there are some incredibly rough areas with a ton of real problems.  I get why they did it, but it's really just hiding the gaping scare of inequality in that city and what happens with crime when its clearly present. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

Pretty shitty way to end the tour for some fans though. Although, I really don't see how someone could get a tank into a venue, much less fill balloons without getting noticed.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sophist

I'd wager the article is more poorly written than anything else, my assumption being it should have meant in the parking lot, not inside the venue. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sophist on March 09, 2016, 09:18:26 AM
I'd wager the article is more poorly written than anything else, my assumption being it should have meant in the parking lot, not inside the venue.

It is L4LM after all, that makes sense.

Buffalo Budd

anthrax

It's called applying the phish model to touring.  Only playing big money runs and events.  Sounds like an amazing retirement to me!