News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-10-31 - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - Post Show Disscussion

Started by mistercharlie, November 01, 2018, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunrisevt

Quote from: pcr3 on November 02, 2018, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 02, 2018, 01:37:17 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 02, 2018, 01:05:04 PM
Quote from: VDB on November 02, 2018, 11:38:15 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 01, 2018, 08:12:42 PM

I can't recall ever seeing/hearing Trey use tapping like that before. I know he does hammer-ons a bit, but this? Just too metal-y for the normal Phish repertoire, or have I missed it?

* layman disclaimer; approach use of terminology with caution *

No he doesn't tap. I wonder if the hollow body of the doc really allows for it.

I spoke to the Trey's Guitar Rig guy at Hampton after he got his walk through and played the 'Doc and all that. He says the action is REALLY high which would make tapping difficult.

But the tapping referred to above is at the end of this song, when Trey is playing the white Strat.

I do remember from the small rooms of the early 90s, Trey used to use the tapping technique a little bit, throwing a couple of bars of tapped notes in while he built a peak in Bowie or Possum or whatever ripper they were jamming on. Never seemed to happen more than once or twice in a show, and only a few bars, like I said—a tool that got limited use.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Quote from: pcr3 on November 02, 2018, 03:03:41 PM

I can't recall ever seeing/hearing Trey use tapping like that before. I know he does hammer-ons a bit, but this? Just too metal-y for the normal Phish repertoire, or have I missed it?

I spoke to the Trey's Guitar Rig guy at Hampton after he got his walk through and played the 'Doc and all that. He says the action is REALLY high which would make tapping difficult.

But the tapping referred to above is at the end of this song, when Trey is playing the white Strat.

I was responding to the question about doing so on the 'Doc.
Reading is a thing, bro.

That said I also believe he's done it in the past but it's not common.

rowjimmy

rowjimmy

Caravan2001

When I played Gordo's 'Doc the action was super high as well.  I was surprised.

kellerb

Caravan2001

Has anyone else heard/mentioned that they have already laid this album down in the studio with Bryce Goggins or am I dropping an exclusive?  If true, would be sick.  That said, I have yet to listen to any of it post show except for a couple of one minute snippets.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 05, 2018, 11:29:47 PM
Has anyone else heard/mentioned that they have already laid this album down in the studio with Bryce Goggins or am I dropping an exclusive?  If true, would be sick.  That said, I have yet to listen to any of it post show except for a couple of one minute snippets.

Would be awesome if true... and I hope it doesn't say phish anywhere on the album cover...

Also, this:

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

No, no, I have not heard that, exciting news if true! 

ETA: Always wondered if they would do anything with Goggin again, love what he did for them on Round Room. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 06, 2018, 12:26:20 AM

Would be awesome if true... and I hope it doesn't say phish anywhere on the album cover...

THAT would be cool.

Really liked that set - I'm sure I would like it more if I had a chance to sit down and see the vid too
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 06, 2018, 12:26:20 AM

Also, this:

Beat you with that vid by about 3 days...

I love this stuff, you guys. Listening again.
and again.
and again.

VDB

I would love a studio version of this, but ideally not done until after Vegas. There were a couple things I could see improved upon following the beta test.
Is this still Wombat?

shoreline99

Quote from: nab on November 01, 2018, 11:41:47 PM
I hope my co-workers enjoyed the three times I played the second set back-to-back this morning. 

I know I did.

I hope they've enjoyed it the past two mornings as well.

[way-o way-o]
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

VA $l!m

i only heard a few tracks. hoping video boots of the whole set show up on youtube. only one ive seen so far was for the 1st song i already heard.
But one thing i love is the Fishman vocals...and lyrics.
Does anyone know who wrote the lyrics? It might sound silly but i think theyre the best new lyrics since 2.0.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-