News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

sunrisevt

Once it gets dark in a couple hours, I'm gonna post up next to my woodstove & start in on this... just finished rereading its predecessor.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mistercharlie

That should be good! I read the first L.A. Quartet back in the late 90's. I need to start the new Quartet.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sunrisevt

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 10, 2021, 03:10:45 PMThat should be good! I read the first L.A. Quartet back in the late 90's. I need to start the new Quartet.

If I'd actually written my PhD. dissertation, Ellroy would have been at least a chapter; the project was shaping up as a paired study of the first LA Quartet & Walter Moseley's Easy Rawlins novels.

I can't say enough about Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy: American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand, and Blood's a Rover.

American Tabloid alone contains this in the epigraph: "American was never innocent. We popped our cherry on the boat over and looked back with no regrets."

*AND* this line in an imagined screed delivered by Jimmy Hoffa:

"Bobby Kennedy is an avalanche of dog shit."

Ellroy is a depraved goddamn genius.

Eta some more jewels of prose from American Tabloid:

"Guatemala City by twilight: strictly the rat's ass."

"The band was half on the nod. They played loud, shitty music."
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

emay

American kingpin. Story of Ross ulbricht and the Silk Road. 

nab

Just listened to this book to and from the worksite this week.

Highly recommended for all who were trading music online at the beginning of the first decade of the 21st century.

Or anyone else who is interested in that era of online trading. It was a time, and a cyberspace, and most of us were there. Really cool to hear it as a historical narrative.

emay

That looks like a book I'd enjoy.

Just finished Talib Kweli's book Vibrate Higher which was a great read. Nice insight into hip hop In 90s-00s and some good life lessons along the way.

Onto Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury