News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaise

ed-

I went to a umphreys show a couple years back where they were announced to the crowd as the succesors to phish (which he said had also played bonnaroo). Needless to say, I had a bad taste in my mouth the entire show.

Bobafett

:-D  Wilco   :banana:
9.13.07  Southaven, MS

1. A Shot In The Arm 
2. Side With The Seeds 
3. You Are My Face 
4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart 
5. Pot Kettle Black 
6. War On War 
7. Shake It Off 
8. Handshake Drugs 
9. Impossible Germany 
10. Sky Blue Sky 
11. Too Far Apart 
12. Jesus, Etc. 
13. Hate It Here 
14. Walken
15. I'm The Man Who Loves You 
16. Hummingbird 
17. On And On And On 
// E1: 18. Heavy Metal Drummer 
19. Red-Eyed And Blue 
20. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)
21. California Stars 
22. Box Full Of Letters (Jody Stephens on drums) 
23. The Late Greats 
// E2: 24. Via Chicago  25. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
Jeff said we were much better than his hometown crowd last night.

Well, 4 inches of rain always makes amphitheatres nice, but somehow the rain stopped during the Wilco set, then began again immediately afterwards.  We got there and finished our beers in the car, then went to will call.  Our tix were primo and came with backstage pass/VIP access (Thanks Andy!).  Sweet, so we got free beer and food before, then chilled with some Nils, Jody Stephens, and John for a while.

As far as music, it was prime grade.  I love A shot in the Arm, so great start.  They really got cooking in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, with a good 10 + min. jam, heavy distortion and feedback, which i deemed chaos.  Jeff seemed to be in good spirits despite a good 8 hour drive, and told security to just let everyone come down front, which totally spoiled our great seats, but hey, there were only 1K there at the most.  Handshake Drugs also featured some sick feedback jamming that melted into impossible germany.  Walken was another good extended version that kicked into On and On.  For the encores we went back to the lawn so i could get some pics with a different angle (to be uploaded on Sunday)  and they all were great.  if you guys don't know Big Star, J. Stephens 70's band, check them out.  (they originally did the theme to That 70's show)

It was a great time and i suggest everyone go see them when you can.  It's worth it, and that is becoming rare these days.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Hicks

pshaw, anyone with working ear drums should know Phish is better than UM, regardless of whether they saw them or not.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on September 14, 2007, 07:07:56 PM
pshaw, anyone with working ear drums should know Phish is better than UM, regardless of whether they saw them or not.
:-D

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: CRAZYED on September 14, 2007, 01:39:22 AM
Umphrey's McGee
9/13/2007
Orpheum Theater - Madison, WI

Set 1: Much Obliged > Utopian Fir > Mulche's Odyssey, Alex's House, End of the Road@, Example 1
Set 2: Blue Echo*>Walletsworth>"Jimmy Stewart"^>Blue Echo, I Want You (She' So Heavy)>Partyin' Peeps>#5>"Jimmy Stewart"&, Smell the Mitten
Encore: All in Time%>Mercy Mercy Mercy>All in Time

Notes:
@ = rock version (first time played)
* = with intro jam containing "In a Silent Way" teases
^ = with lyrics
& = with "Partyin' Peeps" teases
% = with "Bob" teases

How was that Encore?
And Great Pics by the way!

Quote from: Hicks on September 14, 2007, 07:07:56 PM

not only that, but the chemistry that the whole band has, Im not sure if there is another band out there with better chemistry then  :phish:, if i am wrong someone fill me in of another band
I owe Aug $20

kellerb

Quote from: CRAZYED on September 14, 2007, 08:28:14 AM
Ah yes typo on the date thanks RJ.

I heard 2 great quotes last night.  One was from the security guard working one of the isles just in front of the pit at the end of the show before the encore break...."I am fried you wouldn't believe the contact buzz i've got going on right now its out of control".  The other was from some umw00k kid that claimed "phish is the biggest mediocre jamband that ever played and their music has no energy" and that umphreys is just such a better band, i started laughing because i knew what his answer would be for my question of how many times did he see phish and his response was "never".

I love umphrey's but their fanbase has a big case of the DMBfan-itis

westcider

had a pretty good weekend:

9/14/2007:  Umphrey's McGee
Canopy Club, Champaign, IL

pretty good show by UM standards.  one guy I know who sees every um show within 150 miles kept saying "they were good last night, but they're fucking great tonight".  the first set was mostly old um songs like 2x2 and Ringo (one of my favorites).  Brian Felix, formerly of OM Trio, sat in on "sexy organ" for a lengthy jam.  they opened the second set with some Phil-era Genesis that I could have done without, then played Nemo, and stuck this jam in the middle that was double bass blast beats and shred guitar, ala Slayer, for about ten minutes, then back into Nemo.  they dedicated the jam to the "double prong" two-hand sign of the devil.  typical umphrey's goofiness.  nice Bridgeless encore.  but my favorite part of the night was the humongous group cheer that went up when Daryle Ward hit the three-run double in the top of the ninth, about five minute before UM went on.  I thought they would wait until the game was over to go on (we could see them watching it on the bus as we were walking up), but they spared us the stress of watching Dempster and Howry's near meltdown.  Cumdog appropriately was wearing his Zambrano jersey.

9/15/2007:  John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension
Krannert Center, Champaign, IL

badass Mark Mondesir on drums, 23 year old Jaco-style bass phenom Hadrien Feraud (who didn't play anything longer than a sixteenth note all night), and Gary Husband on keyboards (yes the drummer Gary Husband) and occasional mini-kit.  it took them about 25 minutes to get warmed up and gel as a unit, and the improv during this time was very unenjoyable to my ears.  lots of wasted notes, and weird keyboard experimentation (I would guess that he was playing on rented equipment).  but after that, they proceded to blow my mind for 75 minutes.  the highlight was the last song they played, which I can't remember the name of but I'm pretty sure it's from the Heart Of Things album.  about twenty minutes long, with six or seven distinct sections, one of which was very similar to Jeff Back's version of "Cause We've Ended As Lovers", phenomenal solo spots from every one in the band, a great drum duel between Mark and Gary, and of course John Fucking McLaughlin shredding our faces off.  He played a Godin Freeway SE plugged straight into a Marshall JCM combo, very little knob tweaking, and he only tuned once, which was the first time in ages I've seem someone audibly tune by harmonics onstage.  Obviously he wailed a lot, but I was really impressed by his comping, very sparse but intriguing and effective, and perfectly locked in with the band.

sorry if my review doesn't make sense, but I don't think there are words in the english language for some of the things that were going on last night.

cactusfan

the two day Treasure Island Music Festival here in san francisco.
first time they've put this on. pretty cool. great view of the city out there.
lots of bands, none of which i'd seen before, nice to get a sample.

Modest Mouse put on the best set. they're damn good. i'd heard mixed reviews of their shows, but they really nailed it.
Spoon was also very good. a few of their songs are a little bland and sound too much the same, but the good parts of the show were really good.
Thievery Corporation put on a great set too. i wasn't sure how they'd translate live, but it worked really well.
The Gotan Project was interesting. tango music meets electronic dance beats. or something. didn't really do it for me, but not bad.
Built To Spill was really boring and bland. their best song was a cover of a random brian eno song.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, also kind of generic sounding.
the 'singer and a dj' antics of both Ghostland Observatory and M.I.A. were really dull to see live. in a dance club that might be cool, but it's hard for me to get into stuff like that in a live setting.
i caught a little of Mocean Worker, they were cool, funky kind of grooves. i'll try to catch them again.

guess those were the ones that made some kind of impression. cool festival overall. hope they do it next year.

sls.stormyrider

saw Michel Camilo earlier tonight. Great Latin jazz band. The drummer just totally killed. If you ever have a chance to see a guy named Dafnis Prieto - do it.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

alcoholandcoffeebeans

rilo kiley tuesday and wednesday night was awesome..

basically the same set two nights in a row... but it rocked reguardless.

and jenny looked so damn hott :)

scene up here in canada is different than home.. but thus far, it's been great!

ryan adams at massey hall tonight  :-D can't wait.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

nab

The Gourds and HBRSB last weekend.

Blaise

Quote from: cactusfan on September 17, 2007, 09:43:54 PM
M.I.A. were really dull to see live. in a dance club that might be cool, but it's hard for me to get into stuff like that in a live setting.

Ya, I hear ya one the mia experience. Have you heard the new album though? I like it a lot more than the fist. "Paper Planes" is the shit.

sophist

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 21, 2007, 09:49:36 AM
rilo kiley tuesday and wednesday night was awesome..

basically the same set two nights in a row... but it rocked reguardless.

and jenny looked so damn hott :)

scene up here in canada is different than home.. but thus far, it's been great!

ryan adams at massey hall tonight  :-D can't wait.
I would of so called every song the second night and freaked the people out next me. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

haleakalari

Quote from: phan003 on September 11, 2007, 05:02:58 PM
Did they play a straight cover or trance it up? 

it was a straight up cover. it was bullshiste.
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: phan003 on September 21, 2007, 12:56:44 PM
I would of so called every song the second night and freaked the people out next me. 

matt and i pretty much did.
we even called the songs between sets...
you know the ones that play when the house lights are on?

i think people thought we were strange...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫