News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Thanks for sharing your pics of Bela and Victor! 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: antelope19 on September 24, 2007, 03:47:48 PM
Thanks for sharing your pics of Bela and Victor! 
yes - nice pics. thanks.

Saw Ben Harper last night. Warm up was Piers Facinni - brooding singer/songwriter type. Kinda liked his set.
Harper's set was mostly the new cd. In general it was a near total departure from his prior "format". Imo it's kinda cool that he took a risk and changed it up. Also was kinda cool to hear Masters of War during the encore, although it might be considered an obvious choice for a Dylan cover these days. Anyway, fun show.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 25, 2007, 11:31:50 AM
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=509751
How was the show?

show was great, actually. thanks for remembering we went and asking about it :)
seats weren't so hott, but i had seen ryan at the Norva before... so i wasn't so sad that my visibility was low.
you could def. tell ryan loves the phil and friends sounds and that tone was very prevalent the entire gig.
most of the stuff was from cold roses, gold, and easy tiger, if i'm remembering correctly...
the ending had 2 from heartbreaker...
he encored&ended the show with 'my sweet carolina' which has the line about missing KY.
i didn't ness. miss KY while i was there... but the sweetest winds do blow across the south :)

the cardnials were tight, so it was neat to see him play with them.
the norva show was just a drunk man and a piano.  :wink:
all in all, if you get the chance, see them this time around.

crowd interaction was cool, too. apparently, no matter how close anyone was or how loud they yelled...
the audience sounded like 'cavemen' to him. got some good laughs :)

and yeah, thanks for that link!!

*edit*
oh oh oh, and the whole 'throwing up in my own mouth' part?
humourous. he's goes off on a tangent about how he was singing that last song and tried not to spit
chunks across the stage   :-)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sls.stormyrider

Beantown jazz fest - yesterday
Bobby Hutcherson - straight ahead jazz, had a good piano player with him, Billy Drummond did a nice job on drums

Mike Stern - tore it up, as expected. Tenor player was good too.

The whole day had a great vibe. Great mix of people were out - all ages, Berklee types, businessman types, black, white, and everything in between. They have it the same weekend every year - looking forward to the next one :-)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

CRAZYED

Perpetual Groove - 9/27/2007 - Shank Hall, Milwaukee, WI

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 9/30/2007 - Orpheum Theatre - Madison, WI

westcider

I saw Gruff Rhys (lead singer of the Super Furry Animals) this past Thursday at Schuba's in Chi-town.  He played most of the  songs from Candylion and a few from his first solo record.  He had a girl named Lisa from a Welsh folk band playing with him.  She had a beautiful voice and also played toy keyboards and assorted other gizmos such as Malcolm The Falcon and Maria (the metronome).  on about half the songs they were joined by a drummer named Cliff, and I spent most of the night trying to figure out where I had seen Cliff before.  It took me three days to realize that he is the current drummer with The Flaming Lips.

Gruff played acoustic guitar with "confidence and panache".  After listening to SFA for almost ten years, I didn't know that he is left handed, and plays a right handed guitar upside down but not restrung.  I don't think I have ever seen anyone do that before.  The show ended with a twenty minute version of Skylon, which was hilarious and featured the gorgeous Lisa portraying the mediocre actress.

I would whole-heartedly recommend seeing this show, but unfortunately this was the last one of the tour.  Can't wait till the full blown SFA tour in early 2008!

August

Sweet!
Pretty sure mopper smurf caught them in Amsterdam earlier this year.
His latest album is fantastic and much more accessible than his first.
Here's the video for the single if anyone is interested.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=EE78qmyCP8I[/youtube]

a

Caravan2001

I could have sworn he was coming here to portland soon

Caravan2001

shit, it was last night!  :-(

westcider

they spent the entire show sitting behind a table like that.  might even be the same one.  they didn't bring any construction paper, but that xylophone was there.

Lisa is even more beautiful in person.  I just began kicking myself all over again for not saying hi to her after the show.  not that I would have had much to say after that...

edit because I completely forgot about the banner.  at the end of one of the songs, Gruff reached behind him and held up this regal purple banner with the words "the very best of Neil Diamond" stitched into it.  he said it had absolutely no function, as you couldn't even hold it up at a Neil Diamond concert, and he brought it on tour to "give it a sense of purpose", which is really really funny if you say it in a Welsh accent.

CRAZYED

Sound Tribe Sector 9
10/5/2007
Barrymore Theater - Madison, WI

Tour closer, these guys went out with a bang.  Packed house - sold out tons of peeps looking for tickets and the boys went off.  I hadn't really seen them since probably early 2003 and didn't really even listen all that much but last summer after their debut at Red Rocks on 9-9-2006 that show was just pure heat and I was hooked in again.  Sadly I didn't get to see them until a good year later and then some but man they did not disappoint and have really taken their shows to the next level.  The crowd all night was just totally loving every second of it , just incredible energy.  Velmer is just such a fucking BEAST on the drums.

Casey Lenahan

agreed.

Im hoping to catch these guys next tour
I owe Aug $20

CRAZYED

Yonder Mountain String Band
10/25/2007
Orpheum Theater - Madison, WI

Always a fun time with Yonder.

http://picasaweb.google.com/medlhuber/YonderMountainStringBand02

newplanet7

Matt,
You take some of the best photos I've seen.
Great job and review.
-t
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"