News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfmansbabymama

Quote from: caravan2001 on November 19, 2007, 09:13:56 PM
I saw Zappa Plays Zappa last night...It was killer.  Dweezil can fucking RIP!  In a way too, he has a certain amount of emotion that Frank's playing lacked.  Don't get me wrong, FZ was/is and always will be the man, but I always thought that while he was kicking ass, his git playing was a *touch* clinical/sterile.  technically precise and amazing, but kinda cold, which worked, but Dweezil was nailing it last night, and there were some virtual cameos by Frank as well (guitar and vocals) that were really cool.  Highlights were Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy and Pigmy Twilight.....It was all really good, and I'm stoked I went.

what did you think of the classical composition segment Caravan? if they played it. I'm not one to sit around and listen to Franks classical stuff, but they really nailed it in DC. plus the Joe's Garage was like dumbing down 700% after. Dweezil with the Strat playing like four notes. Good stuff.
Quote from: phan003 on April 18, 2007, 07:40:22 PM
Band Bashing and owning is a 5 step process.

Caravan2001

It was all really good.  They are great musicians.  I just couldn't believe Dweezil's guitar work.  I was impressed, he has gotten to be really good.  The other guitarists were good too, but I was really impressed by the drummer and percussionist.....

hoodie22

Galactic with RJD2 and a couple J-5 cameos this past weekend....fun show.

2 nights of WEEN in 10 days!

Igbo

Went to see the Hold Steady last night with my brother. He bought the tix and had an extra so i went with him. Had never heard them before so went in cold. I got bored after the 2nd song and left the club and made calls on my phone and smoked cigarettes out front of the club whilw he stayed. Sounded like Husker Du, i think i saw them 15 years ago, dont need to see a shabby rip off of them now. PLus, i hate hipsters.

Only good thing was that Art Brut opened. They were pretty good.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on November 21, 2007, 01:14:24 PM
Went to see the Hold Steady last night with my brother. He bought the tix and had an extra so i went with him. Had never heard them before so went in cold. I got bored after the 2nd song and left the club and made calls on my phone and smoked cigarettes out front of the club whilw he stayed. Sounded like Husker Du, i think i saw them 15 years ago, dont need to see a shabby rip off of them now. PLus, i hate hipsters.

Only good thing was that Art Brut opened. They were pretty good.

The Hold Steady's albums absolutely shred Art Brut's record...

Hicks

Menomena 11/24/07 Crystal Ballroom

Very nice to see these guys almost fill the Crystal as a headliner, such a talented group. 

The stage set up of keyboard at stage right, and drums at stage left seemed familiar. . .    :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

danje

John Scofield 10/27/07 Blue Note Cafe, NYC

Sick show. There was a lot of shredding. Unfortunately, he played one 60 minute set. For a $35 ticket, it was very disappointing. I bought drinks without being carded, so that was pretty neat.

Lotus 11/24/07 World Cafe, Philly

The show was a dance party. Lotus's compositions are unique and very melodic, but they are incredibly repetitive. I was bored with what was being played half the time. Once the guitarist got improvising however, shit hit the fan. They peaked hard at least three times and each was incredible. In conclusion, I was disappointed that they never really took any of their jams anywhere. They simply laid down a groove and let the guitarist solo. Shit gets old, fast.

hoodie22

i've had the same experience at lotus....it can be a fun dance party, but the music totally get repetitive and boring.

navajo

i was lucky enough (in my opinion) to catch chris berry's panjea w/ michael kang a few months ago.  shortly before that i saw ivan neville's dumpstaphunk.  dumpstaphunk is some pretty crunchy funk; i love the stuff.

i usually catch shows heavily in the summer and around new year's eve.  aside from those times, i probably only catch a show ever three to four months (the summer shows are usually festivals, so i'm still able to catch most acts i really want to).

mattstick

Neil Young
Massey Hall
2nd row

unbelievable

some highlights:

Cinnamon Girl > Like A Hurricane
From Hank To Hendrix
Harvest
Old Man
The Loner
Winterlong
Man Needs A Maid
Journey Thru The Past

wow

Igbo

Saw Dinosaur JR last night at a club here in DC.

Not to sound old, but it was so fucking loud you couldnt hear a single word being sung.

I've seen them 4-5 times, worst by far

mattstick

Another stellar experience at Neil Young last night...

Cortez the Killer, Heart Of Gold and After the Goldrush were amongst those played Tuesday night but not Monday night.

I've figured out a fool proof method for sneaking in to the Thursday show so I may make the trifecta.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on November 28, 2007, 09:45:00 AM

Another stellar experience at Neil Young tonights...

Cortez the Killer, Heart Of Gold and After the Goldrush were amongst those played Tuesday night but not Monday night.

I've figured out a fool proof method for sneaking in to the Thursday show so I may make the trifecta.

Nice!  Good Luck Matt!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Ri©h

Last show was Umphrey's McGee Latenight in Las Vegoose.  My 7th time seeing them and every time they just get better and better. 

I don't know the general consensus around here about UM but I fucking love em to death.   :-D

mattstick

My roommate is all about UM, I'm not sure I have the time... ;)