News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things COMIC BOOKS

Started by mistercharlie, February 03, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

For Batman Fans -

a doctor (and comics fan) worked up a medical history on Bruce Wayne. Pretty good stuff.

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/blog/2011/11/14/patient-bw-dob-2161971/

QuoteWhat would Bruce Wayne's medical file look like? I mean, sure, Alfred actually does quite a bit, but I'm sure there are things that are beyond his abilities. And given Batman's occupation, it's inevitable that he's going to end up in the hospital from time to time (albeit he certainly has the money to hush up anybody he needs to).

"Russell Saunders" is a pediatrician who decided to take up the challenge, and wrote this brilliant piece for The League of Ordinary Gentlemen. It's a record of Bruce Wayne's visits to GCGH (Gotham City General Hospital), with actual medical terminology and a pretty good estimation of what a doctor would imagine when confronted with all of these serious injuries paired with Wayne's flimsy excuses for them. (He tells the doctor he takes part in a mixed martial arts club, and refuses to wear protective headgear despite frequent encouragement to do so.)
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

rowjimmy

That looks cool.

Also cool, new Walking Dead today.

natronzero

I really wish this was a real comic...
http://www.batman-online.com/?news&id=104
Artist Igor Kieryluk has created some amazingly adaptive renditions of Batman and his gallery of rogues...all with a Medieval twist. As far as we know, this is a personal project and not for an Elseworlds novel.

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Lifeboy

I've been somewhat obsessed with Batman and comic books lately. Well, I guess I've always been somewhat obsessed, but I've been on a HUGE Batman/comic kick as of late.

I watched two animated movies (twice) this past weekend, Under the Red Hood and Year One. Both were fantastic, especially Red Hood. It even received a rare 'Extremely Fresh' score with an average of a 100% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I can't wait for another one of these animated films to be released. Any of you dudes know of when they're going to release the next one?

I also watch Gotham Knight last night, which wasn't nearly as good, imo. On deck, I have Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, Mystery of the Batwoman, as well as the entire animated television series. I already get the feeling that none of these will be nearly as good as the first two I mentioned. Those were more aimed at an adult audience, whereas I get the feeling these are more "child-friendly."
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

mistercharlie

Quote from: Lifeboy on April 04, 2012, 12:52:46 AM
I've been somewhat obsessed with Batman and comic books lately. Well, I guess I've always been somewhat obsessed, but I've been on a HUGE Batman/comic kick as of late.

I watched two animated movies (twice) this past weekend, Under the Red Hood and Year One. Both were fantastic, especially Red Hood. It even received a rare 'Extremely Fresh' score with an average of a 100% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

I can't wait for another one of these animated films to be released. Any of you dudes know of when they're going to release the next one?

I also watch Gotham Knight last night, which wasn't nearly as good, imo. On deck, I have Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, Mystery of the Batwoman, as well as the entire animated television series. I already get the feeling that none of these will be nearly as good as the first two I mentioned. Those were more aimed at an adult audience, whereas I get the feeling these are more "child-friendly."

You should watch Justice League Doom, it's the newest DC animated movie and it centers around Batman. Also play both Arkham Asylum ans Arkham City, those are two of the best games made in the past few years.

Also there's a Batman/Superman movie based on the initial run of the Batman/Superman comics.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 06:51:40 AM
Quote from: Lifeboy on April 04, 2012, 12:52:46 AM

You should watch Justice League Doom, it's the newest DC animated movie and it centers around Batman. Also play both Arkham Asylum ans Arkham City, those are two of the best games made in the past few years.

Also there's a Batman/Superman movie based on the initial run of the Batman/Superman comics.

lol, go read what I just posted in the video games thread. Pulled an all-nighter.

And yeah, I grabbed just League Doom last week, but have yet to watch it. I think I'm about to watch it as my reward/come down from that ridiculously good game I just beat.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

Justice League Doom is pretty good.

But you wanna talk about Batman kicks?

I just finished reading an unquantifiable volume of Batman arcs including Knightfall, A Death In the Family, and the whole battle for the cowl up through New 52 across all of the related books. Throw in the huge pile of one shots that I'm working through (and the fact that Batman titles are about half of what I'm getting monthly at the comic shop these days) I'm ingesting a lot of Batman.

Making up for lost time, I guess.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 07:57:56 AM

I just finished reading an unquantifiable volume of Batman arcs including Knightfall, A Death In the Family, and the whole battle for the cowl up through New 52 across all of the related books. Throw in the huge pile of one shots that I'm working through (and the facxt that Batman titles are about half of what I'm getting monthly at the comic shop these days) I'm ingesting a lot of Batman.

Batman is awesome.

My car has a Batman license plate cover on it, half of my pajama pants are batman-related (the other half being Simpsons related), and I have two filing cabinets in my office/smoke room filled with nothing but Batman comics and those aren't even all of my Batman books. I have a few long boxes in the closet also full of Batman.

There's also a Batman Arkham City spin-off game for the iPad, it's not as good as the real game, but it's fun none the less.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 04, 2012, 08:35:32 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 04, 2012, 07:57:56 AM

I just finished reading an unquantifiable volume of Batman arcs including Knightfall, A Death In the Family, and the whole battle for the cowl up through New 52 across all of the related books. Throw in the huge pile of one shots that I'm working through (and the facxt that Batman titles are about half of what I'm getting monthly at the comic shop these days) I'm ingesting a lot of Batman.

Batman is awesome.

My car has a Batman license plate cover on it, half of my pajama pants are batman-related (the other half being Simpsons related), and I have two filing cabinets in my office/smoke room filled with nothing but Batman comics and those aren't even all of my Batman books. I have a few long boxes in the closet also full of Batman.

There's also a Batman Arkham City spin-off game for the iPad, it's not as good as the real game, but it's fun none the less.

Nice. I've always loved Batman, and have 100+ comics, which I literally just now reminded myself of those as I type this, lol.

Anyway, like I said, Batman has always been my favorite comic book character/super hero by a long shot, but as of late, I have really been on a huge kick. And that's funny you mentioned A Death in the Family, RJ. I saw it at Hastings last night alongside Under the Red Hood, and I was so close to buying ADITF, but decided against it, only to get home and realize that I totally should've bought it. So I turned around and went back to Hastings, only to find out that they had closed shortly after I left. Definitely gonna go back and snag it this afternoon...

Speaking of Hastings, they actually just started carrying comics and graphic novels again within the last year or so. They are stacked, too. i could spend at least a few hours in there just trying to pick a few Batman titles. They also have at least 12-15 different Batman graphic novels. They're just a bit pricey, just like everything else there. Used seasons of The Simpsons are $20 (lol), and I scored all 10 of my Simpsons boxes for no more than $10 a pop at pawn shops, etc.

Anyway, back on topic..... Batman is awesome.

VA $l!m

don't think i mentioned it before, but if you have Netflix, check out the "Astonishing X-Men" 'motion-comic' miniseries.
its a bunch of super short episodes that are done in the motion comic style, but the writing and artwork is Phenominal.
its probably on the web somewhere as well, but i found it on 'flix.
A++.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on April 05, 2012, 05:30:53 PM
don't think i mentioned it before, but if you have Netflix, check out the "Astonishing X-Men" 'motion-comic' miniseries.
its a bunch of super short episodes that are done in the motion comic style, but the writing and artwork is Phenominal.
its probably on the web somewhere as well, but i found it on 'flix.
A++.

Written by Joss Whedon and drawn by John Cassiday, awesome stuff ideed.

rowjimmy

I've read those. They're pretty great.

Lifeboy

Batman & Robin was on television tonight.

Such an awful movie.   :shakehead:

Worst. Batman. EVAR. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: Lifeboy on April 08, 2012, 01:58:03 AM
Batman & Robin was on television tonight.

Such an awful movie.   :shakehead:

Worst. Batman. EVAR.

Yep, 'Batman on Ice' was the low point in Batman's Hollywood adventure. The Adam West Batman movie was less cheesy and it was written to be cheesy.