News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things COMIC BOOKS

Started by mistercharlie, February 03, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

well as long as it doesnt air on the CW i'll def. check it out.

i let my guard down and checked out the first episode of "ARROW" last week... wow, bad idea.

since ive been heavy on DC Universe te last year there was a lot of talk on the forums about the show, so i decided to suffer thru it.

what a waste of a great chance for a good comic series.

all they'd have to do is take out everything that makes it a CW series and it could have been great, lol.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

You guys should be reading Brubaker's "Fatale".
the first trade is out now. I've been buying it monthly and love it. Crime, sex, and the supernatural.

What's not to like?

mattstick

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/9/25/alan-moores-lost-stan-lee-essay.html

In 1983 comic book writer Alan Moore (Watchmen) wrote a great essay on Stan Lee called, "Blinded By The Hype: An Affectionate Character Assassination". The essay breaks down how Lee is both a hero and a villain in the world of comics.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 16, 2012, 11:52:07 AM
You guys should be reading Brubaker's "Fatale".
the first trade is out now. I've been buying it monthly and love it. Crime, sex, and the supernatural.

What's not to like?

Yes! It's great. So is American Vampire, if you've been reading it. Other good series i'm following these days are Harvest (about a ring of illegal organ sales), Revival, Punk Rock Jesus and Stumptown (v. 2, the first series was awesome and is available in a TPB).

Also, if you dig comics with a supernatural/Tim Burton/Neil Gaiman vibe, look up the Courtney Crumrin series. It's been around for a while; the earlier arcs are collected in TPB's and they just started a monthly series this year. My kids (11&13) are into it as well.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

rowjimmy

Current subs are:
Fatale
Walking Dead
Batman
Detective Comics (Batman)
Justice League
Action Comics
Thief Of Thieves (another Robert Kirkman. Really good.)
Dancer (also a pretty good book about a cia agent)
and all of the Before Watchmen books

The limited Spaceman just finished and you guys should look for the TPB fo that. I really enjoyed it.

I dropped a bunch over the past few months while picking up on the Watchmen books and Dancer. There's a Legends of the Dark Night line starting this month with a bunch of guest writers that I may try to grab, too.

mistercharlie

Are the Before Watchmen series' good? I've been meaning to read those.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 19, 2012, 03:16:24 PM
Are the Before Watchmen series' good? I've been meaning to read those.

Yes. Although the Silk Spectre book referenced Owsley Stanley in a way that was patently offensive and disrespectful.

shoreline99

I thought the spaceman series was ok; I need to go back and read it in one sitting.

Some of the before watchmen series are ok. I'm enjoying the Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan series a lot.

rowjimmy

Quote from: shoreline99 on October 19, 2012, 04:18:38 PM
I thought the spaceman series was ok; I need to go back and read it in one sitting.

Some of the before watchmen series are ok. I'm enjoying the Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan series a lot.

Dr Manhattan is the best.

shoreline99

I forgot to mention Epic Kill. Great series, the TPB is out now. Not sure if they are going to pick it up as a monthly or not, they did leave it open ended, but the first storyline was really well done.

VA $l!m

just heard a new XMEN movie is in the worx for 2014. and it actually might shape up to my liking.
i guess the last one--FIRST CLASS, was a step in the right direction after the nightmare of XMEN3.

so, anyway, its apparently going to be called something like "Days of Futures Passed"-- and if they havent completely decided to FUCK with me, then maybe my dreams have come true!
no, not its not the MOODY BLUES musical, but only the best XMEN storyline of all time!!
LOL, in fact just like a week ago i was ranting about how they should use this exact storyline for a movie. crazy.

anyway, theres still hope i guess.

also, put this in the video game thread, but:

just signed up to try and get in the CLosed Beta for the new MARVELHEROES mmo.
don't think my pc will run it, but i am willing to blow it up trying! lol.
https://marvelheroes.com/

VA $l!m

after Watchin the Avengers again this week i started lookin into some of J whedons other projeccts.
Found out he wrote the Astonishing Xmen that i mentioned awhiel back being adopted to a motion comic i really liked.
im going to have to try and find some copies of the stuff he wrote for it bak a couple years ago.
sounded really good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astonishing_X-Men

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 12, 2012, 08:22:30 PM
after Watchin the Avengers again this week i started lookin into some of J whedons other projeccts.
Found out he wrote the Astonishing Xmen that i mentioned awhiel back being adopted to a motion comic i really liked.
im going to have to try and find some copies of the stuff he wrote for it bak a couple years ago.
sounded really good.
His work on Astonishing was really good, plus he had Cassiday as his artist and that guy rocks! Around the same time he wrote a short stint of The Runaways that my wife really enjoyed (she's a Whedon addict, ever since she got hooked on Buffy). But let me just warn you to stay away from Cabin in the Woods, it's a movie not a comic, but it's just no good.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 13, 2012, 04:35:15 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on November 12, 2012, 08:22:30 PM
sounded really good.
His work on Astonishing was really good, plus he had Cassiday as his artist and that guy rocks! Around the same time he wrote a short stint of The Runaways that my wife really enjoyed (she's a Whedon addict, ever since she got hooked on Buffy). But let me just warn you to stay away from Cabin in the Woods, it's a movie not a comic, but it's just no good.

Pretty sure I've mentioned Astonishing X-Men around here before. I read it specifically because of Whedon and loved it despite not being an x-men reader before. Dude has created so many great shows and things over the years. Most anything he touches is worth your time.

As for Cabin In The Woods, I've not seen it yet but the above comment is the only negative I've seen about it from anyone that I know. Hell, It's got a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes so it can't be that bad.

And from the Last Movie Thread Watched:
Quote from: barnesy305 on June 24, 2012, 10:19:21 PM
Cabin in the Woods. I hesitate to call it a horror film, but pretty fuckin awesome nonetheless.

mistercharlie

I don't know what it was about Cabin in the Woods, but neither myself or my wife liked it, she liked it less than me. I think my main gripe about it was the poorly written 'stoner' character, just giving us bud lovers a bad rep. I thought the plot and story were pretty cool.