News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Accounting Apps/software

Started by WhatstheUse?, January 17, 2018, 07:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Any recommendations for small business accounting apps?

Seems like quickbooks is the standard but I'm wondering if there's other apps that may fit my situation better.

Total confused n00b in this realm of real world things so any advice on small business bookkeeping is appreciated.
Bring in the dude!

jam>

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 17, 2018, 07:30:17 PM

Seems like quickbooks is the standard but I'm wondering if there's other apps that may fit my situation better.

Total confused n00b in this realm of real world things so any advice on small business bookkeeping is appreciated.

Hire an accountant. I bet it will be somewhere between $200 and $400, and they'll save you a ton of money by knowing the system and what kind of deductions you guys can take (gas, lodging, meals, new music equipment, vehicles, etc.) And you can write off the expense for the accountant next year.

You could probably write off Phish tour as a networking / research experience.

Caravan2001

Quote from: jam> on January 17, 2018, 08:20:18 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 17, 2018, 07:30:17 PM

Hire an accountant. I bet it will be somewhere between $200 and $400, and they'll save you a ton of money by knowing the system and what kind of deductions you guys can take (gas, lodging, meals, new music equipment, vehicles, etc.) And you can write off the expense for the accountant next year.

You could probably write off Phish tour as a networking / research experience.

This...at least for tax purposes.  I suppose if you need to balance books for the band/merch, etc. then Quickbooks or other would be worth looking into.  Might be able to hire a bookkeeper for that stuff too for not too much.  It can be a real headache.

mistercharlie

QuickBooks is nice. Sage is another good program, but might actually be more than you guys need right now. Microsoft's Dynamic  is a great accounting program, but it's pretty pricey.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Word of warning: despite the fact that they are a leader in the field, Intuit, who makes Quickbooks, has terrible tech support.

GBL

I have a couple financial accounting books I could send your way?  Could then probably get by with a custom macro excel sheet

Lemme know!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

WhatstheUse?

thanks for the advice everyone

Quote from: GBL on January 19, 2018, 03:46:58 PM
I have a couple financial accounting books I could send your way?  Could then probably get by with a custom macro excel sheet

Lemme know!

Yeah, I'd be interested in checking those out.

I'm pretty used to working with excel and our finances aren't super complicated so that just might work.

I feel like most of these apps have way more features than I really need.
Bring in the dude!