News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/29 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by runawayjimbo, December 29, 2011, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

As someone who has been repeatedly slapped in the face w/ 3.0 predictability..... I REALLY enjoyed the Sloth/YEM opener of this show.

Thats the type of unexpectedness I love about Phish.  Really set the tone for the night for me, and I was a pretty happy camper for most everything after.

On another note -- Lifeboy is a gorgeous song. I always liked the song but hearing it this night brought a new light to it for me.  It's soooo quiet!
Bring in the dude!

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 05, 2012, 02:35:35 AM
As someone who has been repeatedly slapped in the face w/ 3.0 predictability..... I REALLY enjoyed the Sloth/YEM opener of this show.

Thats the type of unexpectedness I love about Phish.  Really set the tone for the night for me, and I was a pretty happy camper for most everything after.

On another note -- Lifeboy is a gorgeous song. I always liked the song but hearing it this night brought a new light to it for me.  It's soooo quiet!

Great fun to play too! You should learn it....
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

gah

Quote from: birdman on January 04, 2012, 05:32:59 PM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on January 04, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 04, 2012, 01:03:28 PM
took this mikes groove for a spin on my way to work.

i thought the mikes was great the decision to go into chalkdust worked real well imo.
nice ripper there.

now.....  took some balls to try and seg into hydrogen from the middle of a chalkdust shred...and....it......ALMOST worked.
if they practiced more often and could hook up better, this would have been epic, but alas.

it wasnt as bad as folks made it seem while it was happening, and i have to give trey credit for trying something different.

really dug the slow, melodic, paug opening, which continues into the jam which is pretty cool for a while.  it fizzles pretty hard by the end though.

all in all, it was was a good listen.

At first GAH and I were thinking it was a little Allman's then after he kept hitting on it we realized it was hydrogen, but I actually liked the segue.  Its definitely no tasty tranny material, but I enjoyed it live (webcast).

Ha. I was yelling some nonsense about an Allman's tease while it was happening as well.
Personally, I thought this whole Mike's Groove rocked.  Easily my favorite of 3.0.  It's also the first 3.0 H2 I've seen that hasn't been horribly botched.

Yeah, I dug this a lot. I've heard some negatives about the transition, but it was the only time in the first 2 nights (all I watched and have heard so far) that I actually enjoyed. It was the only time Trey threw me for a loop, and looking back at that video, looks like it brought a smile to Page and Mike's faces too, when it occurred to THEM what he was doing. It's not often these days that Trey's the one ahead of the curve.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 05, 2012, 04:23:32 PM

i thought the mikes was great the decision to go into chalkdust worked real well imo.
nice ripper there.

now.....  took some balls to try and seg into hydrogen from the middle of a chalkdust shred...and....it......ALMOST worked.
if they practiced more often and could hook up better, this would have been epic, but alas.

it wasnt as bad as folks made it seem while it was happening, and i have to give trey credit for trying something different.

really dug the slow, melodic, paug opening, which continues into the jam which is pretty cool for a while.  it fizzles pretty hard by the end though.

At first GAH and I were thinking it was a little Allman's then after he kept hitting on it we realized it was hydrogen, but I actually liked the segue.  Its definitely no tasty tranny material, but I enjoyed it live (webcast).

Ha. I was yelling some nonsense about an Allman's tease while it was happening as well.
Personally, I thought this whole Mike's Groove rocked.  Easily my favorite of 3.0.  It's also the first 3.0 H2 I've seen that hasn't been horribly botched.

Yeah, I dug this a lot. I've heard some negatives about the transition, but it was the only time in the first 2 nights (all I watched and have heard so far) that I actually enjoyed. It was the only time Trey threw me for a loop, and looking back at that video, looks like it brought a smile to Page and Mike's faces too, when it occurred to THEM what he was doing. It's not often these days that Trey's the one ahead of the curve.

I agree the curveball was cool, but the execution was pretty harsh to me. I really liked when Trey first started the H2 lines with the CDT tempo, but instead of taking his time and waiting for everyone to get synced up, he did what he always does which is just barrel into it without any regard to what the others are doing. If he would have showed just a little patience and let Page and Mike get on the same page, they could have slowed the tempo down as a unit and it would have been a pretty serious segue. Instead, he panicked and they had to grind to a screeching halt before they knew what they were doing. To me, it was the low point of an otherwise really nice Groove.

I haven't seen the video, but I remember thinking watching the webcast that Page and Mike's grins were "Is he fucking serious with that shit?" smiles and not "Hey, that was pretty cool, Trey!" smiles.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

gah

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 05, 2012, 05:47:20 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on January 05, 2012, 04:23:32 PM

nice ripper there.

I agree the curveball was cool, but the execution was pretty harsh to me. I really liked when Trey first started the H2 lines with the CDT tempo, but instead of taking his time and waiting for everyone to get synced up, he did what he always does which is just barrel into it without any regard to what the others are doing. If he would have showed just a little patience and let Page and Mike get on the same page, they could have slowed the tempo down as a unit and it would have been a pretty serious segue. Instead, he panicked and they had to grind to a screeching halt before they knew what they were doing. To me, it was the low point of an otherwise really nice Groove.

I haven't seen the video, but I remember thinking watching the webcast that Page and Mike's grins were "Is he fucking serious with that shit?" smiles and not "Hey, that was pretty cool, Trey!" smiles.

Sure he could have used more patience, and I agree completely, if he'd given the other guys a little room to all fall in together and make the transition as a unit, it would've been a much better segue. BUT, like you said, getting a curveball at all is interesting enough and to be honest, maybe the best we can expect from him at this point. As for the smiles, check the video UM posted in the official HD thread. I think those two guys were a little surprised but in a good way. Fish tho didn't sound like he even knew what was happening there til it was clearly too late and added to the cacophony of sounds, imo.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

thought it was a very cool segue
not perfect, not bad.
agree that more playing together would help.

I'll bet there are several in 1.0 that weren't as good - we tend to remember the mind melts
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sophist

Quote from: bvaz on January 06, 2012, 09:33:53 AM
it would have been better if they used a (nh)  :wink:
I don't think no homo is the answer here. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

JPhishman

Shoulda just teased hydro within CDT and kept the tempo up for a > into week4paug. That woulda been the bomb.

A guy can dream can't he?

:smoke:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

DoW

Quote from: sophist on January 06, 2012, 10:03:07 AM
whenever someone on the moe. board asked what it stands for, my answer is noob hazing.
I say they stop the song and find a noob in the crowd and haze them before going to the next song.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sophist

Quote from: bvaz on January 06, 2012, 10:34:28 AM
Quote from: sophist on January 06, 2012, 10:03:07 AM
whenever someone on the moe. board asked what it stands for, my answer is noob hazing.
I say they stop the song and find a noob in the crowd and haze them before going to the next song.
I think it was Hicks that started the joke here of reading "no huddle" as no homo.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

29Dec.2011 - MSG

I

The Sloth - great way to open, "sleeping all day, spend my nights in bars...", great early composition by Trey, love the Jimmy Page/metal esque breakdowns, cool Page organ "at the ball game" vibe, a better opener then the previous night, not as super tight and explosive as other versions but still a decent opener, pause into...

1, 2, 1234 

YEM - sweet, tight opening section, euphoric crowd, love the nirvana section, ethereal sounds, sick placement;), introducing Mike!, active crowd, nice sustain by Trey, preety sick version into Boy!, sick Fish on the kickdrum, Frankenstein Page back into organ jam proper, thick notes by Mike, Trey chords in at 10:16, nice jam early, Page backs off, comes in, Trey tries to settle into plinko territory, Mike pushes, active Page, patient Trey, hitting some decent notes yet goes back to plink, Mike hinting at modulation, sick Page on clav near 12:52, Mike holding the jam beautifully underneath, not super impressed w/ Trey's lines/solo, again Page and Mike taking every opportunity, full band peak near 14:50+, Mike/Fish, vocal >  great opening section but jam was mediocre overall,

Back On The Train - MSG sits on top on Penn Station?

Moma Dance - strong Mike early, Black-Eyed Katy dance, Trey w/ a cool approach rhythmically before dropping into plink, sweet Mike, loose version, standard outro solo, good version overall into

Funk Bitch - another overplayed 3.0 hit,

Maze - yes!, compliments The Sloth quite well, Page drops in near 3:09, nice Trey underneath, nice tension near 4:20, Trey signaling he wants to jump in as he tries to build tension w/ ascending chords, finally gets his wish near 5:35, leads of trill, Mike there to show support, Hendrix esque Trey near 6:30+, Trey nearing the alpine zone, cries from Trey near 7:27, decent effort, still no where near where he was in terms of technique,

Roses - good holiday vibe tune, I'll pass

Halley's - weak solo by Trey, beta Trey, into

Antelope - jam drops near 2:48, like most 3.0 versions including Bowie, Trey comps at the outset, more low register plink, Mike stepping it up, Trey responds subtley, jam stays straight ahead for the most part(sound familiar?), Trey presently isn't the guitarist who can hold your interest or imagination by his soloing, its very repetitive and very un-like his former style and grace, '94 esque build at 7:00+, weird peak, they should really rehearse more...,

II

Crosseyed and Painless - another TH cover, used to like when this tune was rare, now its become a "hit", yawn at Trey's playing between chorus, beyond Phish this tune is infectious, Trey playing some nice rhythm guitar, Trey tries switching up his tone into slight Leslie feel, more straight ahead playing w/ Page adding color, big rock/light show, yawn here, spacey/trippy outro, Mike leading, into

Simple - muddy Trey, nice tribute to the city, patient jamming before 6:40 where they test the high speed ambient waters, Quadrophonic Toppling esque outro into

Lifeboy - ouch, perhaps not rehearsed, rough,

Guyute - nice warm up for

Mike's Song - jam drops at 2:38, Slowhand Trey as he trills his way into his first solo, slight old school space for Trey, nice Trey near 5:00+, Trey digging in, Bowie esque ending arpeggio before outro chords, downshift into

Chalk Dust - good way to keep the energy upward, Trey leads in near 2:59, more trill from Trey, disjointed jam, Trey sounds off key/lost, not exactly purposeful tension building, siren Trey at 5:00, more beta Trey, recovers nicely for outro w/ Page into

I Am Hydrogen - interesting segue from Chalk Dust, gotta love that they're at least trying to do something, Trey a little rough here also, into

Weekapaug - jam drops at 1:49, funk out of the gate, Trey plinko-ing out early, Mike chimes in nicely near 3:06, more beta Trey, Phish feeling it out, big sound Mike, he fills the room well, Mike trying to keep the jam into more of a funk vibe while Trey attempts rock peak but wisely goes back to rhythm, Trey and Page line up nicely near 5:50, trilly Trey near 6:12, Trey gets his rock peak, Page comping along side, Trey retreats away from peak, tries another trill inspired line that, in this context, works better, Page switches to organ to augment, psuedo rock peak by Trey back into groove.
Show of Life - to get a H20

Character Zero - go ZZ!

E

Loving Cup - more ZZ.

Overall I feel this show lags behind the previous night.  Whereas 28Dec. had 3 legitimate forays into it w/ Cities, Carini and Rock & Roll, this show hinted at the undercurrent but failed to surrender completely.  Loved the idea of a Sloth > YEM opening and though I enjoyed the head of YEM, the jam was standard and no where near 12/04/2009.  I liked Moma Dance because they were preety loose w/ it, atypical playing by Mike and Trey in particular.  Maze was ok, I liked Trey's rhythm playing underneath Page whereas Trey's solo is more a litmus of where he needs to be.  Antelope more meh. 
No real highlights in set II.  Sure they try to do something different in this Mike's Groove but the quality and level of their improvisation isn't compelling, its more fill that will easily be forgotten.  Trey's playing/soloing in Chalk Dust is horrible before the ending.  Even Weekapaug which really was the only jam that bordered on "w/ out a net" never really lifted off in that they didn't stray too far from the melody and was more like an extended rock peak. 

WhatstheUse?

This is great music.  I loved just about every second of this video.  Trey may not have the chops he used to, but he is pretty damn on point this entire Mike's groove if you ask me.  I thought the the segue was awesome... not perfect, but ambitious and what I want in Phish.

good job Phish.
Bring in the dude!

emay

Love this mikes groove!! Thought the song selection really upped the energy for this show, but musically, the 28th has more fatty jamz and just as much interplay between band members.

I was def talking about how it sounded like a Jessica jam inbetween CDT > hydrogen after the show, but after listening to it, its def just a slowed down hydrogen.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard