News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/06 - The Gorge - George, WA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, August 07, 2011, 02:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

susep

Phish
08/06/2011
The Gorge,
George, Washington

SET 1: Possum, The Moma Dance > Sample in a Jar > Limb By Limb, Ocelot, Poor Heart, On Your Way Down, Wolfman's
           Brother#>Maze, Wilson, Fluffhead

SET 2: Chalkdust Torture>Tweezer>Caspian>Sand>Tweezer>Birds of a Feather, Waste, Golden Age, REBA>Antelope*

ENCORE: Suzy Greenberg>Sanity>Tweeprise

# Heartbreaker Jam
* With Whistling intro from Reba, also treased Sand and Tweezer in intro. Also had Golden Age trease in body.

my highlights in bold.  I liked the last 1:48 of Wolfman's, too bad it took them/Trey that long to segue into a collective jam, they could have easily stretched it our further imo.  Again I liked the ending of the Tweezer, the jam as a whole was ok but I like when they improvise collectively, its all too common when they morph into their ambient/space groove before segueing into the next song.  Sand was great, Trey really mixing it up nicely between his rhythm playing and leads ala Jer in his prime.  I'm kinda burnt out on Golden Age, I really like the tune but I wish they would jam it out.  The Reba was decent, some nice lines by Trey, solid playing by all but nothing that shook me.  The Antelope however was a nice rager, Trey was adding some nice variations and morphed into some major keys for a brief spell, solid version.  on to the next show...choo choo :wtu: 

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on August 09, 2011, 10:47:27 PM
I wanna see The Great Curve again...IMO

I don't only for the reason back in '96 Trey was at his proverbial peak, now not so much.  He couldn't pull those solos off now imo. 

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 09, 2011, 09:20:01 PM
Quote from: thatfargone on August 09, 2011, 09:02:52 PM
I just don't get it anymore.  We went because we just got settled in somewhat at the new house and figured it would be pretty stupid to miss even a bad show at the Gorge since we had never made it before.

Wolfman's was good but am I the only one that has had enough of Zeppelin???  Rover, 10-30, No Quarter, Heartbreaker...ugh.

Granted Reba>Lope was fun, but again...teases just seem like lazy fan service at this point.

Oh and the lawn was a graveyard....the sides were empty and many people were laying or sitting all night.  Many disinterested people around.  I know this is the laid back west coast but still, very, very quiet crowd except for up front. 

Lawn, lol.....this was a GA show and the floor had a ton of space....

My 2009 experience of the Gorge was both lawn and floor.  The floor was fun as hell.  I remember having a good amount of room.  Lawn had TONS.  I liked it for that. 

As for enough Zep?  Hells no!  Keep it coming. 

Oh and I like the weird intro to sand.  It was a little funkier and just seemed like it had some more pep from the get go. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

zackonthetrain

Overall I really enjoyed this show, thought the 1st set was pretty typical and not so interesting up until wolfmans but the 2nd set was solid. Tweezer and Sand were fun, kinda wish they didnt play Golden Age cause I was pretty high on the Superball verison and was hoping they shelve it longer than 2 shows. Reba and Antelope is what made my night. Antelope was great and glad I left the Gorge with that on my mind
"a good sauce can't save a bad noodle"

gah

Dug the Wolfmans, wish they would have continued pushing that further, it was just getting it's legs. The antelope was good too, but I wish Fish wasn't just pounding away on the crash as Trey peaked. Also, golden age sounds like it can go places if they want to open it up at the end.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 10, 2011, 04:40:31 PM
Dug the Wolfmans, wish they would have continued pushing that further, it was just getting it's legs. The antelope was good too, but I wish Fish wasn't just pounding away on the crash as Trey peaked. Also, golden age sounds like it can go places if they want to open it up at the end.

The Broomfield version is 10 mins, check it out it's pretty cool.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

Quote from: Hicks on August 10, 2011, 04:43:12 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on August 10, 2011, 04:40:31 PM

The Broomfield version is 10 mins, check it out it's pretty cool.

Cool deal. Just listened back on that one, but def feel like it could go furhter. Like on this one, when Mike switched over to that phaser or whatever during the last 30 seconds or so, it just felt like the dance party was about to get started, but then they just dropped off, but it could easily have served as a solid launch pad...

ytowndan

Yep.  I've always wanted another Born Under Punches, too. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

Quote from: ytowndan on August 10, 2011, 06:46:06 PM

Born Under Punches is probably my favorite song from that set and I've been waiting for it's return. But I will have to wait infinity as it will never happen.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 10, 2011, 09:44:21 PM

Born Under Punches is probably my favorite song from that set and I've been waiting for it's return. But I will have to wait infinity as it will never happen.

1, 2, 1, 2, 3, HA!

gah

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on August 11, 2011, 08:51:17 AM

1, 2, 1, 2, 3, HA!

the best!

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 11, 2011, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on August 11, 2011, 08:51:17 AM

1, 2, 1, 2, 3, HA!

the best!

mistercharlie

So I was just listening to this show again on my way home and noticed an I Feel The Earth Move tease from Mike during Suzy (it's around 3 minutes in). That it all.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged