News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

today, i hate:

Started by VA $l!m, May 16, 2005, 06:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Are they replacing the pumps? If that's the case,  I know a guy who can get them cheap.
Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on April 19, 2017, 03:25:16 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 19, 2017, 02:51:56 PM
Quote from: mbw on April 19, 2017, 02:41:03 PM
Quote from: VDB on April 19, 2017, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: mbw on April 19, 2017, 02:25:25 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 19, 2017, 11:49:15 AM
Sump pump problems.  :|

I woke up to our battery back-up box making a horrendous SKWEEEEEE noise and neither pump was working. I was able to get it to stop making that noise and get that sump pump working. However, we have two sump pump pits in our basement and the other pit's pump appears to be dead and that probably caused the other one making the noise to be overworked last night. We have plumbers coming out now to find the problem/replace the pump. Not sure yet what the $ damage will be.

On the plus side, I got to make it a half day at the office today and leave when I'd usually be going to lunch.

I was going to be a plumber once, but I didn't take the plunge.  Plumbing school was a real drain on me.

Hopefully you didn't sink too much time or effort into it. Pipe up if I'm wrong about that.

Nah you are right, I couldn't get pumped for class. The decision to quit was really wrenching though.
Well shit, you shouldn't have flushed that dream down the toilet. This repair is going to cost us 2K.

Dang, do you have that kind of cash flow, or are you tapped out?

Luckily they let us finance it, so the money will trickle out instead of pour out.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: birdman on April 19, 2017, 04:27:11 PM
Are they replacing the pumps? If that's the case,  I know a guy who can get them cheap.

Yeah, he replaced the dead pump today. When he opened the pit he could smell what had happened to the pump, it had blown it's bearings and filled the pit with grease. We had the pump in the other pit replaced last year. when it died. The sump pumps were the oldest appliances(?) in the house when we moved in. I just didn't think it was going to be so damned expensive to replace them. We should be set for at least a few years now though.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 19, 2017, 06:07:09 PM

I woke up to our battery back-up box making a horrendous SKWEEEEEE noise and neither pump was working. I was able to get it to stop making that noise and get that sump pump working. However, we have two sump pump pits in our basement and the other pit's pump appears to be dead and that probably caused the other one making the noise to be overworked last night. We have plumbers coming out now to find the problem/replace the pump. Not sure yet what the $ damage will be.

On the plus side, I got to make it a half day at the office today and leave when I'd usually be going to lunch.

I was going to be a plumber once, but I didn't take the plunge.  Plumbing school was a real drain on me.

Hopefully you didn't sink too much time or effort into it. Pipe up if I'm wrong about that.

Nah you are right, I couldn't get pumped for class. The decision to quit was really wrenching though.
Well shit, you shouldn't have flushed that dream down the toilet. This repair is going to cost us 2K.

Luckily they let us finance it, so the money will trickle out instead of pour out.

Good to hear.  I've come across some pretty drippy plumbers who don't give you that option.  They just expect you to have a large pool of cash to pay them.

nab

Quote from: mbw on April 19, 2017, 11:20:29 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 19, 2017, 06:07:09 PM

Good to hear.  I've come across some pretty drippy plumbers who don't give you that option.  They just expect you to have a large pool of cash to pay them.

I've yet to hear of one joint who doesn't employ a snake or two in some hairball scheme. 

mistercharlie

More plumbing problems....

After we did our gardening/yard work on Sunday we came in and showered. When we were done there was about a foot and a half of standing water in the tub. I sucked all the water out using my shop-vac and poured some Liquid Plumber down the drain to fix the clog. When I ran the hot water later to clear the clog it went nowhere and the tub had standing water in it again. Yesterday the wife stayed home from work to have a plumber come out and snake the drain. But apparently the drain is so crazily configured that it cannot be snaked. He said he would have to have his boss come out today to give us an estimate of what would need to be done and the cost of it.

I took today off to be here for that. His assessment is that they are going to have to take the pipes apart in the basement, clear them and then re-run the pipes. The only problem is that is to do it they need to move our furnace to get to them. That means that both plumbers and HVAC techs are going to need to come out all day long to get it fixed and one of us will have to take another day off to be here for that. The whole thing is going to cost us $3,400 to have done.  :frustrated:

All that and I haven't showered since Sunday afternoon. I smell just slightly better than a wook two weeks into summer tour.  :wtu:

Buffalo Budd

Ugh Mr. C, that sucks.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

birdman

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 23, 2017, 02:15:00 PM

After we did our gardening/yard work on Sunday we came in and showered. When we were done there was about a foot and a half of standing water in the tub. I sucked all the water out using my shop-vac and poured some Liquid Plumber down the drain to fix the clog. When I ran the hot water later to clear the clog it went nowhere and the tub had standing water in it again. Yesterday the wife stayed home from work to have a plumber come out and snake the drain. But apparently the drain is so crazily configured that it cannot be snaked. He said he would have to have his boss come out today to give us an estimate of what would need to be done and the cost of it.

I took today off to be here for that. His assessment is that they are going to have to take the pipes apart in the basement, clear them and then re-run the pipes. The only problem is that is to do it they need to move our furnace to get to them. That means that both plumbers and HVAC techs are going to need to come out all day long to get it fixed and one of us will have to take another day off to be here for that. The whole thing is going to cost us $3,400 to have done.  :frustrated:

All that and I haven't showered since Sunday afternoon. I smell just slightly better than a wook two weeks into summer tour.  :wtu:
have you tried straight sulfuric acid ?that shit Unclogs pipes like a motherfucker
Paug FTMFW!

mbw

When you say 'we,' were you and Dagny in there together?

PIE-GUY

This may sound dumb, but did you try a basic plunger?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on May 23, 2017, 02:56:19 PM

Maybe...
Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 23, 2017, 03:55:13 PM

Yeah, it didn't do a damn thing except make water come out of the overflow drain.

And as for the Sulfuric Acid, I had not tried that. Didn't that stuff eat through a tub and a floor on Breaking Bad?

birdman

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 23, 2017, 04:51:52 PM
Quote from: mbw on May 23, 2017, 02:56:19 PM

Maybe...
Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 23, 2017, 03:55:13 PM

Yeah, it didn't do a damn thing except make water come out of the overflow drain.

And as for the Sulfuric Acid, I had not tried that. Didn't that stuff eat through a tub and a floor on Breaking Bad?
they sell it at plumbing supply houses and some hardware stores. Call around. I had a clog somewhere in my outlet pipe and the waste was flowing back into my basement through my utility sink. I tried all sorts of commercial products but when  I dumped that acid in... 10 minutes to unclogged drain. However the smell is ungodly for the next few hours. It's a cheap alternative to re plumbing
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: birdman on May 23, 2017, 05:34:31 PM

they sell it at plumbing supply houses and some hardware stores. Call around. I had a clog somewhere in my outlet pipe and the waste was flowing back into my basement through my utility sink. I tried all sorts of commercial products but when  I dumped that acid in... 10 minutes to unclogged drain. However the smell is ungodly for the next few hours. It's a cheap alternative to re plumbing

It is definitely a wretched smell but the only that's worked for me a couple of times when nothing else would.
And no, that's not what they used on Breaking Bad.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

Dude you have to plug/seal the overflow hole.  Otherwise the plunger doesn't create any air pressure

PIE-GUY

Quote from: kellerb on May 24, 2017, 10:18:02 AM
Dude you have to plug/seal the overflow hole.  Otherwise the plunger doesn't create any air pressure

I'm sayin'.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul