News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mac Tablet!!! ~ iPad Thread

Started by rowjimmy, July 28, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd prefer one.

I think the thrust of these is as a media viewer but I'm certain that there are significant productivity applications that could be developed.

I was recently in a doctor's office that used what I know to be very expensive tablet/laptop machines as the primary interface for the nurses and doctors to do their record keeping. Not that the mac tablet would necessarily be the solution but cheaper, lighter, keyboardless, wifi driven, is where they are inevitably going.

I have little doubt that, if Jobs is going to pitch it next month, we won't come away from that with a firm idea of its role in the marketplace.

Buffalo Budd

Yeah, I was listening to the radio this morning and it seems like all of the big players have their own version.  They estimate it will take the place of desktops and laptops in the future due to their light weight and how easy it will be to use.  I am still skeptical but I also just got my first cell phone a month ago so I am definitely behind in the times.   :roll:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Alumni

Most of the folks I know who own tablets swear by them. Of course, they're also science/engineering nerd types who appreciate diagramming by hand. :)

From everything I've heard on tech blogs, the Apple tablet will be too underpowered to serve those folks. It sounds like they're going to try to create a new market for tablets rather than cater to the existing (niche) one. If anyone's got the Midas touch to pull that off, it's probably Jobs. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out...
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

I think the specs and openness of the platform will determine the path of the device.
Will it run OSx or iPhoneOS?
Will it be chained to an appstore or will it be open like a regular computer?

jedifunk

i'm firmly in the camp with all of you... what the hell do i need a tablet for?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 10:22:49 AM
i'm firmly in the camp with all of you... what the hell do i need a tablet for?

Things.
Stuff.

You know, everything.

http://gizmodo.com/tag/apple-tablet/

jedifunk

totally RJ.

i didn't want an iphone when it was just rumors... but once it was announced, i knew i'd be first in line :roll:
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I'm still looking for my first mac. January being the time to buy an mbp, I'm holding out and tallying up my apple gift cards and birthday/xmas cash.

Alumni

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 29, 2009, 09:13:38 AM
I think the specs and openness of the platform will determine the path of the device.
Will it run OSx or iPhoneOS?
Will it be chained to an appstore or will it be open like a regular computer?

My money's on the latter. I can see Apple marketing this device at a somewhat-reasonable price point as the world's coolest Kindle.

If Apple manufactures a Core2Duo tablet, it's going to be a niche option within an already niche market. If Dell can get away with charging $1900 (after ~$500 instant discount) for their new Latitude tablets, how high will the bill run for an Apple?
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

I think they're gonna keep the price point down...

Alumni

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 29, 2009, 11:17:54 AM
I'm still looking for my first mac. January being the time to buy an mbp, I'm holding out and tallying up my apple gift cards and birthday/xmas cash.

Can you use the Apple gift cards for something else?

There are some good deals on MBPs from 3rd parties. Like here:
http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9899411&SourceID=k188598
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

Quote from: Alumni on December 29, 2009, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 29, 2009, 11:17:54 AM

Can you use the Apple gift cards for something else?

There are some good deals on MBPs from 3rd parties. Like here:
http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9899411&SourceID=k188598

The gift cards are not the majority of my funding.

jephrey

I think this is a "by popular demand" device.  I just hope that Apple has something worthwhile planned with its release.  The newspaper/magazine thing is good, but I think the service would be better like where you actually download a publication, not just browse a website with a subscription.  Could work like a "pdf podcast".  Other than that, there's the opportunity for it to be a decent gaming device and generally the next step in touchscreen tech.

While we're filling the gaps, where's that headless iMac?
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

"by popular demand" if done right is a good idea for Apple right now.

Consider the fact that Google has a netbook os due next year and is hosting an Android "event" on Jan5 at which they will be announcing the google phone.

Apple has a new major competitor...

jedifunk

i don't think apple worries too much about competitors
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio