News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

my first pollock!

Started by AfterMidnight, November 09, 2009, 05:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwdeadhead

got one of the spring construction posters signed to me from Pollock
i dig that one, but like everyone else has said, his work has not been as good recently
would love to get the coventry one, just to have

WillBreathes

Quote from: mattstick on November 10, 2009, 11:44:25 AM

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/search.php?text=Jim+Pollock&class=0

Feel free to disagree, but at least cite some examples.

I'm sorry.

Love the art to the Gorge prints, haven't actually seen one, so I guess I can't comment on quality.

Like everything about the Alpines.

And to go back to 03, the Hamptons are very nice.  Coventry is a decent print, and good quality.

But... my opinions (which I guess I have to cite) are probably just wrong.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

whyweigh5.0

I like the Alpine 09s but they are very thin
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

antelope19

Quote from: WillBreathes on November 10, 2009, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: mattstick on November 10, 2009, 11:44:25 AM

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/search.php?text=Jim+Pollock&class=0

Feel free to disagree, but at least cite some examples.

I'm sorry.

Love the art to the Gorge prints, haven't actually seen one, so I guess I can't comment on quality.

Like everything about the Alpines.

And to go back to 03, the Hamptons are very nice.  Coventry is a decent print, and good quality.

But... my opinions (which I guess I have to cite) are probably just wrong.

:lol: 

I would agree with you, Will.  I have one of the 03 Hamptons hanging in my house.

This one:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

fauxpaxfauxreal

The '03's Hampton's are Sick, Sick, SICK!  I don't care what espresso beans says.

I also liked the Alpine's too...but I didn't think they were incredible or anything.  Also, "jump the shark" is kind of a misnomer, because in order for Pollock to have "jumped the shark" he would have to keep getting outlandish and ridiculous and gimmicky until his gimmicks got out of control and no longer made sense...

mattstick

Opinions on art can't really be wrong, I just heartily disagree.

I had the Hampton 03 Eye for a while, the printing was just not sharp enough for me to hang/display it.  People love those prints, again, just not for me.

Once you own a hand pressed 99/00 Pollock it's hard to look at the linocut prints without a little skepticism.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mattstick on November 11, 2009, 03:18:05 PM
Opinions on art can't really be wrong, I just heartily disagree.

I had the Hampton 03 Eye for a while, the printing was just not sharp enough for me to hang/display it.  People love those prints, again, just not for me.

Once you own a hand pressed 99/00 Pollock it's hard to look at the linocut prints without a little skepticism.

I will agree with this 110 percent.  My dissapointment with the 03 Hampton prints was also their lack of hand printing.  They looked sharp with all the colors and stuff, but part of the "cool factor" to me in getting my 1999/2000 Pollock's was the fact that they were hand made, hand printed by Pollock, and this was evident in everything having to do with the print.  The mono/bi or tri-chrome characteristics, the printing imperfections, the obvious tell tale signs of being made by hand.  The 2.0 and 3.0 pollock's that I've seen don't contain these same characteristics at all, which makes them way less cool, imo, than the 1.0 Pollock's.

mattstick

So can we get the Jumping the Shark analogy back?

He's doing 3D prints and not hand printing his work... 

sophist

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 11, 2009, 03:10:05 PM
The '03's Hampton's are Sick, Sick, SICK! I don't care what espresso beans says.

I also liked the Alpine's too...but I didn't think they were incredible or anything.  Also, "jump the shark" is kind of a misnomer, because in order for Pollock to have "jumped the shark" he would have to keep getting outlandish and ridiculous and gimmicky until his gimmicks got out of control and no longer made sense...
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 11, 2009, 03:21:52 PM
I will agree with this 110 percent.  My dissapointment with the 03 Hampton prints was also their lack of hand printing.  They looked sharp with all the colors and stuff, but part of the "cool factor" to me in getting my 1999/2000 Pollock's was the fact that they were hand made, hand printed by Pollock, and this was evident in everything having to do with the print.  The mono/bi or tri-chrome characteristics, the printing imperfections, the obvious tell tale signs of being made by hand.  The 2.0 and 3.0 pollock's that I've seen don't contain these same characteristics at all, which makes them way less cool, imo, than the 1.0 Pollock's.
Nice John Kerry impression. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: Sophist on November 11, 2009, 03:35:18 PM
The '03's Hampton's are Sick, Sick, SICK! I don't care what espresso beans says.

John who?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Perfect example of why I don't read what that guy posts.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on November 11, 2009, 03:36:51 PM

John who?
:lol:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

sophist

jesus.  it was a joke.  No need to defend Kerry. 

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.