News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Natty Dread Region - 1-Bob Marley v 2-Jimi Hendrix

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

susep

Quote from: slslbs on March 31, 2011, 08:13:13 PM
In their defense, the Monkees themselves supposedly appreciated him for the genius he was.

they loved having him on their tour because they got to see him every night as described by Monkees producer/songwriter Tommy Boyce:
It was a personal trip.  They wanted to watch Jimi Hendrix every night.  They didn't care of he fit.

After Hendrix bombed his second show in Miami singer/songwriter Vince Martin asked Peter Tork:
Quote"Peter why are you subjecting Jimi to this?"  he said, "I love him.  He's got to work."

Peter Tork:
We got high together.  We had this DC6, with this lounge in the back.  There were some reporters on the plane, so we would leave the reporters in the front and go into the back and smoke it up.

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

mistercharlie

sls.stormyrider

mistercharlie

sls.stormyrider

fauxpaxfauxreal

Lifeboy

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 02:26:59 PM
The measuring stick by which any electric guitar player may be judged...

"gotta stop smokin'....i mean UH...huh....cigarette smokin'"
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 03:28:41 PM

The electric guitar, I'd argue, is the defining musical instrument of rock music. And in terms of those that have played it, Jimi is one of, if not THE King, of that instrument. No doubting that. The things he does with a guitar are phenomenal. But, like jazz music in some ways, it requires a little bit of understanding to appreciate just what he's doing (not us mind you, those that have grown up in America listening to rock- but the average citizen of the world). Marleys music and message is universal. You don't even have to understand the words in order to feel good, just listen to the melodies, whereas to someone that doesn't know what they're hearing could call that what Jimi just did there noise and offensive to their ears.

The Spice Girls had a fairly broad, international appeal, too. And not just with music geeks... regular people loved them too!

I understand your rather simplistic response, but you can't dumb down Marley's message in comparison to some teen pop group that took the world by storm in the mid-90's. The Spice Girls were created by a management company for the sole purpose of appealing to the masses in a money making endeavour. Whereas Marley had a message he had to get out to the world, and the fact that it is so universal that everyone that heard it was able to relate, is the beauty of it.

You wanna talk about "universality"... I can talk about "broad" appeal.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 11:03:55 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 31, 2011, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 31, 2011, 03:28:41 PM

The electric guitar, I'd argue, is the defining musical instrument of rock music. And in terms of those that have played it, Jimi is one of, if not THE King, of that instrument. No doubting that. The things he does with a guitar are phenomenal. But, like jazz music in some ways, it requires a little bit of understanding to appreciate just what he's doing (not us mind you, those that have grown up in America listening to rock- but the average citizen of the world). Marleys music and message is universal. You don't even have to understand the words in order to feel good, just listen to the melodies, whereas to someone that doesn't know what they're hearing could call that what Jimi just did there noise and offensive to their ears.

The Spice Girls had a fairly broad, international appeal, too. And not just with music geeks... regular people loved them too!

I understand your rather simplistic response, but you can't dumb down Marley's message in comparison to some teen pop group that took the world by storm in the mid-90's. The Spice Girls were created by a management company for the sole purpose of appealing to the masses in a money making endeavour. Whereas Marley had a message he had to get out to the world, and the fact that it is so universal that everyone that heard it was able to relate, is the beauty of it.

You wanna talk about "universality"... I can talk about "broad" appeal.

HEY YO!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Quote from: susep73 on March 31, 2011, 08:52:37 PM
Quote from: slslbs on March 31, 2011, 08:13:13 PM
In their defense, the Monkees themselves supposedly appreciated him for the genius he was.

they loved having him on their tour because they got to see him every night as described by Monkees producer/songwriter Tommy Boyce:
It was a personal trip.  They wanted to watch Jimi Hendrix every night.  They didn't care of he fit.

After Hendrix bombed his second show in Miami singer/songwriter Vince Martin asked Peter Tork:
Quote"Peter why are you subjecting Jimi to this?"  he said, "I love him.  He's got to work."

Peter Tork:
We got high together.  We had this DC6, with this lounge in the back.  There were some reporters on the plane, so we would leave the reporters in the front and go into the back and smoke it up.

if you've ever seen the Monkees movie Head, you know they knew exactly what they were and how to make fun of it. Zappa makes a memorable appearance in it, among others peoples...