News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Abbey Road Region - 1-The Beatles v 2-Pink Floyd

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

::will take bubblegum over high school stoner shit::

:wink:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mbw

Quote from: ytowndan on March 30, 2011, 11:27:42 PM

i bet you stay in hotels on phish tour.

:-D

eta:  i really dig stoner music too.   :syf:   :phish:

barnesy305

Quote from: susep73 on March 30, 2011, 11:19:10 PM
The Beatles.  I really dig Pink Floyd but their early Syd stuff was weak sauce in that they sound like a punk band, loud and obnoxious before they evolved into their more cerebral approach and styles of music/expression.  The Beatles were an orbital or two above(or below depending on your atomic perspective) the Floyd.  Its like comparing minor league vs. major league, the best analogy.
Nothing wrong with loud and obnoxious, being an asshole punk has made me into the upstanding citizen I am today. That being said I'm leaning towards Beatles, but I'm gonna have to let this fester a bit.

ytowndan

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 30, 2011, 11:29:00 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on March 30, 2011, 11:27:42 PM

i bet you stay in hotels on phish tour.

:-D

eta:  i really dig stoner music too.   :syf:   :phish:

My "touring" days are over.  I've only been to one Phish show since fall 2000.  But if I were to hop back on terr, you're damn right I'd be kickin' it in my suite post-show!

mbw

The Beatles.  I really dig Pink Floyd but their early Syd stuff was weak sauce in that they sound like a punk band, loud and obnoxious before they evolved into their more cerebral approach and styles of music/expression.  The Beatles were an orbital or two above(or below depending on your atomic perspective) the Floyd.  Its like comparing minor league vs. major league, the best analogy.

a lot of people prefer college ball over the pros.
end sports analogies/

i think the early syd stuff is is just as ground breaking as the beatles jump into psychedelia or what have you, if not more.
i just hope this doesnt dissolve into people calling each other idiots if they happen to disagree....

MeltMe

beatles. I can't remember the last time I listened to Floyd voluntarily, probably high school if I had to guess.
nothing i see can be taken from me...

anthrax

i'll take high school stoner shit any day of the week...thems were good times!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Sounding like a punk band in 1967 is pretty cool in my book, but on the other hand the Syd stuff clearly grew out of what the Beatles were doing in 65-67 and Waters himself even gives the Beatles props on the opening cut of Saucerful of Secrets.

That said I think Pink Floyd's music means more to me personally, their shit really opened up my mind to psychedelic "out there" music when I was a teenager.

In conclusion, I have no idea how I'm going to vote. . . 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Quote from: Hicks on March 31, 2011, 12:39:19 AM

Sounding like a punk band in 1967 is pretty cool in my book, but on the other hand the Syd stuff clearly grew out of what the Beatles were doing in 65-67 and Waters himself even gives the Beatles props on the opening cut of Saucerful of Secrets.

That said I think Pink Floyd's music means more to me personally, their shit really opened up my mind to psychedelic "out there" music when I was a teenager.

sounds like Floyd, dude.

Lifeboy

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 31, 2011, 12:45:28 AM
Quote from: Hicks on March 31, 2011, 12:39:19 AM

sounds like Floyd, dude.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

ytowndan

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

guyforget

its def floyd for me

i know all about the beatles, and theyre great and all that

but when i listen to their music i dont sit back and revel at all that has been because of the beatles and think about how great they were

they (and everyone else i/you like) influenced a bunch of shit too, so great

but as far as what has meant more to my own personal musical timeline, floyd is more prevalent and was more important.  even if they were influenced by the beatles.  the beatles had their influences too, ya know?
-AD_