News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Final 4 - 1-Phish v 1-The Beatles

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 05, 2011, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igbo

It's the fucking Beatles people!!!!!!!!!

zimbra

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

phuzzyfish12

sls.stormyrider

I would have had a hard time with Miles vs the Beatles.
this is easy

Quote from: Igbo on April 05, 2011, 11:30:08 AM

It's the fucking Beatles people!!!!!!!!!
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

In the tradition of a lifelong Democrat, I'll vote for the Beatles simply because I know they will lose.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

JPhishman

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 05, 2011, 11:29:57 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 11:17:03 AM
I have seen Phish 108 times... Would I trade those shows for one night seeing the Beatles play? I might! I just don't know.

that's just crazy talk right there.  :wtu:

Not even close.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

WhatstheUse?

I have seen Phish 108 times... Would I trade those shows for one night seeing the Beatles play? I might! I just don't know.

yeah. that's crazy talk!

I mean sure It'd be cool to see the Beatles live..... but only because you were seeing the Beatles live.

I kind of doubt their concerts were that mind-blowing....
Bring in the dude!

emay

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 05, 2011, 11:58:58 AM

yeah. that's crazy talk!

I mean sure It'd be cool to see the Beatles live..... but only because you were seeing the Beatles live.

Agreed, what if you saw the Beatles 108 times, you wouldn't just MIGHT wanna see Phish. I would probably be  :samurai: to see a different show. After 53,  :phish: shows, I am  :samurai: for MORE!!!!  :banana: :banana:

WhatstheUse?

Seriously.

I'm seeing Phish @ (arguably) their least musically creative point in their entire careers and I still can't get enough of it.  Every show makes me more excited for the next.

Best. Band. Ever.
Bring in the dude!

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on April 05, 2011, 12:01:21 PM

yeah. that's crazy talk!

Agreed, what if you saw the Beatles 108 times, you wouldn't just MIGHT wanna see Phish. I would probably be  :samurai: to see a different show. After 53,  :phish: shows, I am  :samurai: for MORE!!!!  :banana: :banana:

suppose Phish is coming out with a new studio album
suppose, by some miracle, there was a new Beatles album
which would you rather buy?

be honest.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

^^

At this point, Beatles all the way but I still voted  :phish:
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

PIE-GUY

yeah. that's crazy talk!

I should clarify... I think I'd give up my 108 Phish shows to see one of the Beatles amphetamine-driven club shows in the red-light district of Hamburg.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 26, 2011, 01:34:20 AM
RJ, I get why you're all Dylan on this one, but I can't agree with you... Sgt. Pepper is the reason you collect vinyl.

For the record... Pie Guy is wrong in assuming that Sgt Pepper is why I collect vinyl.

I don't even own Sgt. Pepper on vinyl.

The Grateful Dead is why I started collecting vinyl.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 05, 2011, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on April 05, 2011, 11:12:04 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 10:15:24 AM
This is a tough one. I've been thinking about it for a week already because I knew it was coming. I still don't know.

Let me help you:

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 26, 2011, 02:39:12 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 26, 2011, 02:02:45 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 26, 2011, 01:34:20 AM
RJ, I get why you're all Dylan on this one, but I can't agree with you... Sgt. Pepper is the reason you collect vinyl. Yes, there were albums before it, but it is the reason the Album (yes it is capitalized on purpose) is more than just a formatting option. It's the reason the Album can be considered a work of art that stands on its own.

Really, it comes down to Beethoven and the Beatles. Those are the cornerstones of Western Music. Everything else is just everything else.

Jazz?

Baroque? Romantic? Modern? Jazz? Blues? Folk? Rock? Who cares?

I'm talking about cornerstones... the music that stands alone atop all around it and will for hundreds of years.

Pre-electricity it's Beethoven. Post-electricity it's the Beatles.

You can argue all you want. This is how I see it. One can argue that there is better music from any era than these two. But they are the cornerstones. They stand alone.

For the record... Pie Guy is wrong in assuming that Sgt Pepper is why I collect vinyl.

I don't even own Sgt. Pepper on vinyl.

The Grateful Dead is why I started collecting vinyl.

That said, I voted for the original Fab Four.

I don't mean specifically why you started collecting... I mean it's the reason vinyl is still around to collect. It's the reason anybody cares at all about the album format.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul