News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Weight Lifting/Training and Diet Thread

Started by Gundo, January 09, 2017, 01:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundo

Hey Paugers,
This is the weight training and diet thread. I started weight lifting about a year and a half ago and I love it. I'm always trying to learn more about training and dieting too. It's ridiculous how much crap info is out there that people fall victim to. Weight training is just the type of working out that encapsulates everything I want.

For anyone interested, this is where I started:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/getting_started

I used to do a beginner aesthetic program, but recently switched to Stronglifts 5/5. The workout itself takes under and hour. But I also rock climb at my bouldering gym for about an hour before I lift. Anyone here a climber??

I have many other links I will post here. Feel free to ask me any questions about training or diet.

fastfingers12

Awesome! One of my old roommates that used to work for the OU strength and conditioning department turned me onto this one... Kinda hits on that 5/5 aspect you were talking about.  If you're looking to put on a few extra lb. of muscle this will do it for ya. Since it's only three days a week on the off days I would go in and work on other muscle groups that aren't really targeted in the workout. https://www.t-nation.com/training/10-secrets-to-building-mass
That's a hundred nineteen to you and me

VDB

I would suggest to anyone interested in weightlifting to own and read The Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, by Arnold Schwarzenegger. The title notwithstanding, this book is far from being a manual just for competition bodybuilders or meatheads (although it would serve them well, too). Arnold tells you essentially everything you need to know about lifting for mass, strength and/or looks, including workout programs for beginners, intermediates and advanced lifters.
Is this still Wombat?

Gundo

Quote from: fastfingers12 on January 09, 2017, 05:50:38 PM
https://www.t-nation.com/training/10-secrets-to-building-mass
This link has a lot of truth in it, but that workout routine at the bottom is absolutely way too much for a beginner. Almost looks like an advanced routine. And personally for me, my focus is on wanting to get better at climbing and supplementing the climbing with weight training. I just hate these types of articles that are always titled something stupid like "Top Ten Ways to get Shredded" or "How to look like a Greek God" because they're misleading to people who have no knowledge on the subject.

fastfingers12

That is 100% for a person that is not new to working out. That dude knows his shit though!

anthrax

for several winters/springs in a row i did the original P90X.  it totally kicked my butt into shape, and i highly recommend it for anyone wanting to make a change.  it was perfect for those crappy cold months (january-march) when i didn't have much else going on.  then when the warmer weather hit i was totally prepared for long hikes, bike rides, etc.  the big knock on it was its intense time commitment...60-90 minutes a day, 6 days a week for 90 days.  the newer P90X-3 broke things down into nice 30 minute daily routines, but obviously you don't get the same results...it's more of a routine to maintain.

Gundo

1-1.5 hours/ 6 days a week is pretty excessive in my opinion. The endurance aspect of P90x is nice

PIE-GUY

P90x is what Gordo was doing for a couple of  years there. Judging by his paunch on New Years he hasn't been keeping it up.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

JPhishman

But the real question is..... What is your go-to Phish workout track?

I often go with 6/11/94 DWD.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Gundo

For a while there I would put on the Funky Bitch from the 11/22/94 show that was recently released. Put me in the zone. Also a lot of Character Zero, Carini, and Saw it Again

Also a lot of The Gun Club  :samurai:

VDB

A Live One gets the job done pretty well.
Is this still Wombat?

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

fastfingers12

I usually listen to heavier stuff when I'm lifting. Like AIC, RATM, and Tool. When I hit cardio though, I love throwing on 12/11/97 DWD  :phish: :music:

mbw

I cant think of two things i would like to do less than work out and listen to character 0, much less at the same time.

Superfreakie

I've lifted on and off for about 9 years, the time off mostly due to a couple injuries that sidelined me or work commitments. That said, I'm back lifting again after a serious bout of tendinitis in my wrists. Prior this injury, I suffered an inguinal hernia from squatting (easy surgery, super fast recovery), and prior that I all but separated my shoulder while flat benching after being away for 4 weeks and trying to lift what I had before I left. This was the most painful, as it shredded the five ligaments that hold down the scapula to the size of fine fishing line. However, being that none snapped, I opted for no surgery and instead endured the long wait for them to thicken again (took over a year, but as good as new now). The injuries can be chalked up to stupidity (shoulder), genetics (hernia), and impatience/not enough work on smaller groups (wrists).

My program right now is your classic lifting regimen as it has always worked for me. I work out six days a week with the seventh day off:

Mon: Chest, Tris, Shoulders
Tues: Bis, Forearms, Wrists, Back
Wed: Legs
Thur: Chest, Tris, Shoulders
Fri: Bis, Forearms, Wrists, Back
Sat: Legs
Sun: REST

I do core exercises everyday.
I'll post the exercises and sets next.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.