News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Derek Trucks Band Thread

Started by susep, May 10, 2006, 09:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

I was wondering if any of you were into this up and coming jam titan?

Not since early '94 when I jumped on the Phish boat have I heard a more inspiring, original group then the Derek Trucks Band.

Thoughts?

sls.stormyrider

The man is amazing. Best slide guitar player since Duane. Tight band.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jam>

Derek is touring with Clapton in Europe right now (I believe). I wonder if he'll bring back the tight call and response guitar work in songs like Layla.

susep

The idea of Trucks blowing the UK minds w/ Clapton resonates deeply.  Trucks at Royal Albert Hall.  Its similar to when Hendrix first arrived on the scene in Sept. '66.  Chas Chandler(Jimi's manager/producer/friend)had to guarantee to Hendrix that he would introduce him to Eric Clapton and jam. 
Now almost 40 years later another great American blues player w/ tidal dynamics sits in w/ one of the UK's longstanding blues masters.

susep

Here is Trucks talking about his opportunity in playing w/ Clapton:

http://www.zrock.com/zforum/about781.html

susep

Those who are not familiar w/ DT can dl tracks here:

http://www.irenic.de/jazzCD.html

peteNY

75 dollar tickets can lick my nuts

lounge up Junior Allman Circuit!  :wink:

susep

I agree most tickets are outrageous, standard Trucks tickets are 25$ or so. 

converse29

That's a good interview. At this point, it's great to see Trucks touring the world. In my mind, it's a natural progression for him.

sls.stormyrider

Yea, thanks for posting. I'm just imaging what Key to the Highway must sound like.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

Quote from: converse29 on May 18, 2006, 12:30:18 PM
That's a good interview. At this point, it's great to see Trucks touring the world. In my mind, it's a natural progression for him.

I heard the Portland show from 16Nov.05>a good switch-up from the Songlines material.  Preety solid, I like the intro to Rastaman Chant, it sounds as though Trucks wanted to slide into Sahib but was tricked?

converse29

Quote from: susep73 on May 18, 2006, 10:39:36 PM

I heard the Portland show from 16Nov.05>a good switch-up from the Songlines material.  Preety solid, I like the intro to Rastaman Chant, it sounds as though Trucks wanted to slide into Sahib but was tricked?

Rastaman Chant did have a Sahib intro tease. It's interesting to hear you say that. In person, it's seems like the band could have slid into either of those jams. Being the first time I'd seen him without the Allmans, I was blown away. During Greensleeves,which had many great moments,you can hear the audience hollering at the top of their lungs in reaction to Derek's fretboard wizardry. This always brings back memories for me,being a personal highlight of the show experience. I feel that take was much more tense then the loose Wanee Greensleeves. I was playing this concert for Adam one day and we both had to remark at how "on" the band was that night. On the other hand though,does Trucks really have many bad shows? I'm sure he does but they still probably sound decent.
:mrgreen:

converse29

Quote from: converse29 on May 19, 2006, 04:34:09 PM
Quote from: susep73 on May 18, 2006, 10:39:36 PM

Rastaman Chant did have a Sahib intro tease. It's interesting to hear you say that. In person, it's seems like the band could have slid into either of those jams. Being the first time I'd seen him without the Allmans, I was blown away. During Greensleeves,which had many great moments,you can hear the audience hollering at the top of their lungs in reaction to Derek's fretboard wizardry. This always brings back memories for me,being a personal highlight of the show experience. I feel that take was much more tense then the loose Wanee Greensleeves. I was playing this concert for Adam one day and we both had to remark at how "on" the band was that night. On the other hand though,does Trucks really have many bad shows? I'm sure he does but they still probably sound decent.
:mrgreen:
I actually first saw Derek play with Phil And Friends in Augusta,Maine circa 1999. At the time,Phil was touring with Dylan. I didn't get to see the whole Phil/Derek set because I was hanging with Lisa (:-o) outside the show. Combined with the beauty of said woman and the great vibe floating around that night,I was in the clouds. Dylan's set was solid,but didn't measure up to the PAF set. After the show, I bumped into my sister Crystal who had been in the first row or so for both sets. She had to remark later on about the great slide guitar player ripping in up during Phil's set.  :-D

converse29

I'm excited for the concert DVD DTB is putting out in July. Twenty songs and bonus features! :banana:

sophist

Confirmed: Trucks is the man, and possibly the best guitarist of my generation

:-)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!