News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 07, 2014, 09:15:32 AM
You can find the recipe but here's what I made for Sunday breakfast a couple weeks ago:

(my photos)

I need to do that. Prolly do beignets instead, but same idea. I have a deep fryer.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

Attempting Beer Butt Chicken for the first time on the grill tonight. Wish me luck!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

PIE-GUY

Just in time for Thanksgiving...

http://www.wwoz.org/153111-recipe-kermit-ruffins-barbecue-smoked-turkey

Recipe: Kermit Ruffins' Barbecue Smoked Turkey

You have to love a recipe whose first two ingredients are a "couple of Louis Armstrong records" and an "ice chest full of beer." Kermit Ruffins' contribution to That Sounds Good: A Cookbook Celebrating 30 Years of WWOZ, this recipe offers a very New Orleans, barbecue-swinging' take on Thanksgiving's main course.

Do use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.

Kermit Ruffins' Barbecue Smoked Turkey

A couple of Louis Armstrong records
An ice chest full of beer
1 whole turkey
Olive Oil
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Zatarain's liquid crab boil
Turkey liquid injection sauce
New Orleans sausage (optional)
Onions (optional)
Garlic (optional)
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
Lots of hickory wood

Okay, put on one of those hot albums and let it rip. Reach into the ice chest and grab yourself an ice-cold beer. After a few swigs, wash the turkey and put it into an aluminum pot. Coat the turkey with olive oil. Coat with Tony Chachere's seasoning heavily. Don't worry about using too much.

Make sure you don't let your beer sit too long. Mix half of the liquid crab boil with half of the turkey injection sauce. Well, put in a little more crab boil, what the hell. Inject the turkey legs, bosoms and wings. Don't worry--he won't feel a thing.

Now you can stuff the turkey with anything you want. I like to use New Orleans hot sausage. Take of the casings. Stuff that bird with sausage, onions and garlic--you know what to do.

Open up a fresh bottle of ice-cold beer. Put half a cup water and the butter in the bottom of the pan. Cover the bird with four or five sheets of aluminum foil.

After you turn the record over and listen to side B, put the bird on the grill. Make sure that grill is really hot! I hope you got extra hickory wood, because that turkey needs to cook a good 4-1/2 hours.

After drinking most of your cold beer and listening to those Armstrong records couple of times, uncover the trukey so it can soak up the smoke for another 30 minutes. This is it! It's too easy.

--Kermit Ruffins

emay

EPIC
love kermit ruffins, its on my bucket list to visit his mother in laws bar/resturant in NOLA at some point.
I always see the the fb posts about free crab/gumbo/chicken/po boys/crawfish broils on different days, looks awesome.

PIE-GUY

Also, my cousin was going through some old stuff from my Great Grandmother's house and came across this prohibition-era recipe!

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Bobafett on November 22, 2016, 10:26:30 PM
That's sweet!

Dude. 7.5 pounds of sugar on top of the raisins.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

PIE-GUY

alcoholandcoffeebeans

too awesome.

may have to try this one :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

ytowndan

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

I've always been a hater of whole, oven-roasted turkey because I'd only ever had dry and flavorless white meat.  Maybe my family just sucks at cooking turkey?  Anyhow, I was convinced that it was nearly impossible to fully cook the dark meat without overcooking the white meat, but this recipe has converted me!  (The highly important key to getting that balance -- the foil "breast plate" -- is, for some stupid reason, not mentioned in the instructions, but is thoroughly explained in the video.)

I highly recommend it. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: ytowndan on November 25, 2016, 01:32:55 AM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

I've always been a hater of whole, oven-roasted turkey because I'd only ever had dry and flavorless white meat.  Maybe my family just sucks at cooking turkey?  Anyhow, I was convinced that it was nearly impossible to fully cook the dark meat without overcooking the white meat, but this recipe has converted me!  (The highly important key to getting that balance -- the foil "breast plate" -- is, for some stupid reason, not mentioned in the instructions, but is thoroughly explained in the video.)

I highly recommend it.

foil is KEY.

so is a convection oven... I'm enamored with my cousin's that we've cooked with the past few years. too bad I'm a poor scientist about to apply for grad school and possibly stop bartending ( :-o) or I'd totally have one at my house.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

nab

Doing it again. 

Quote from: nab on February 01, 2009, 10:20:22 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone is in a quandary over what to fix today.  I'll be making jephrey's chili.  Thanks again jephrey. :beers:

Quote from: jephrey on October 19, 2007, 11:46:39 PM
alright, it's fall...  Although I've been eating 1-2 bowls of chili per week since January (typically a bowl with a pale ale at the Onion pub for lunch on Wednesday) and then if I've made it for dinner, it's finally time to break out the recipe that I've been recently adhering to...

1lb ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
1 small to medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
S+P to taste

fry those things up in the bottom of the stock pot...  Drain only some of the grease.

After the onions are translucent and the beef is at least mostly cooked add (these are total approximations)
6oz of a well hopped IPA or red or brown ale (I've done it with all 3 to good success)
1T brown sugar
1/2 t curry powder
1t oregano
1/4t paprika
1/4t cayenne
1/4t red pepper flakes
about 8 dried chopped chili peppers
1 habanero pepper
a grip of chopped fresh cilantro
3/4t cumin

then do up the tomatoes, I go with (these are the normal 14 or so ounce cans)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce or puree'd tomatoes
1 "mini can" of tomato paste (you know what I'm talkin'bout)

Simmer for a LONG time -- HOURS.  Then add

1/2 can corn
3/4 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (dark or light don't matter, they're both pink on the inside  :wink: )

Simmer for another half hour.  DONE

Best served with sweet cream butter and sourdough bread, but oyster crackers work too.

garnish with chopped green onions and cheddar.

My thoughts on chili and this recipe in particular...

This recipe is for pretty spicy chili.  You could remove the habanero or some of the chili peppers or cayenne or pepper flakes to reduce the heat (I'd start with the flakes and cayenne because the habanero and chili peppers provide more flavor that you want in this chili.)  The poblano pepper and cilantro along with the cumin give it a Mexican feel...  When you add the cilantro, it's a great scent...  I go with corn and black beans just for flair but I've made it without them and the chili has been good.  The beer is necessary and when you add it, you can really tell how it aids the flavor...  Get a heavily hopped beer because that will impart the most.  This must be eaten with a beer in hand.  Best is to drink the beer you added to the chili when you eat it.  So awesome.

Alterations...  Don't be afraid to add leftover salsa, giardiniera, taco sauce, jalapenos, tabasco, chulula, or anything else you have laying around.

I know that many have their own recipe that they swear by, and this ever-changing one is the one that I dig the most.

Tonight's chili was made with Lagunitas Imperial Red (which is my new favorite red ale - move over cascazilla) and it is superb.

shoreline99

Hey paug chefs- anyone have a good mole poblano/ chicken mole recipe? Want to bring something different to a friend’s party next weekend.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.