News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jimi Hendrix Thread

Started by susep, September 30, 2006, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Welcome to the thread dedicated to the genius of the electric guitar, James Marshal Hendrix.  To help launch this thread I compiled a "box-file"(zip) of the best of Jimi's Band of Gypsys famed Fillmore East concerts.  Enjoy!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DED80716044FB726

track listing:

BOG

01 Stone Free 1Jan.70 Late Show
02 Lover Man 31Dec.69 Early
03 Hear My Train 'A Comin' 31Dec.69 Early
04 Message To Love 1Jan.70 Early
05 Izabella 31Dec.69 Early
06 Ezy Rider 31Dec.69 Late
07 Foxey Lady 1Jan.70 Early
08 Machine Gun 31Dec.69 Late
09 Stop 1Jan.70 Early
10 Earth Blues 1Jan.70 Late
11 Voodoo Child 31Dec.69 Late

August

this thread smells like acid.
a

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

susep

sophist

cool thread idea

maybe you'll convert me  :evil: to a hendrix fluffer

Note to new members: phan is anti hendrix type guy.  He prefers the sweet sound of Jerry's trancendent  noodling over the raging technical skills of Mr. Hendrix
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

Quote from: phan003 on September 30, 2006, 08:16:35 PM
cool thread idea

maybe you'll convert me  :evil: to a hendrix fluffer

Note to new members: phan is anti hendrix type guy.  He prefers the sweet sound of Jerry's trancendent  noodling over the raging technical skills of Mr. Hendrix

As I was listening to this earlier:
Quote from: susep73 on September 30, 2006, 10:51:05 AM
JHE

The Forum, Los Angeles, April 26, 1969
Liberated Living Legend bootleg
Songs put in the right order
Excellent stereo soundboard denoised

1. Introduction by Jimmy Rabbit / Tax Free
2. Foxy Lady
3. Red House
4. Spanish Castle Magic
5. Star Spangled Banner
6. Purple Haze
7. I Don't Live Today
8. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) / Sunshine Of Your Love

Jimi Hendrix - guitar, vocals
Noel Redding - bass
Mitch Mitchell - drums

Recorded by Abe Jacob for Wally Heider's Recording Mobile

I couldn't help but think about the  :syf: playing half-way across the continent in Chicago, IL. on the same night:

04-26-69 Electric Theater, Chicago, Il. (Sat)
1: Dupree's> Mountains Of The Moon> China Cat> Doin That Rag, Hurts Me Too> Hard To Handle, Cryptical> Other One> The Eleven Jam> Other One> It's A Sin, Morning Dew, Top Of The World, Minglewood, Silver Threads, Baby Blue, St. Stephen> Lovelight E: Viola Lee Blues> Feedback> We Bid You Goodnight
"Viola Lee Blues" appears on "Fallout From The Phil Zone" - "What's Become Of The Baby" was not performed by the Dead on this night; the studio version was played over the PA while the band performed "Feedback"

A Dick's Pick show also. 
Seeing both bands in their early prime back in the day must have been  :-o  Hendrix and the Dead, ironically both signed by Warner Brothers, led the psychadelic jam scene.

susep

I think its important to note the many similarities between Garcia and Hendrix.  Both were born in the early 40's, both grew up listening to blues and, both came from broken homes(whatever that means).  As a result both had short stints in the U.S. Army as a means to do "something" before focusing on music solely.  Both men came from the West coast w/ pioneering vaudeville/performance roots> interesting that both were true sonic explorers  :mrgreen:

edit> musically speaking, the main difference between Hendrix and Garcia is modality, Hendrix preferring minor modes as a true delta bluesmaster and Garcia, using more majors as derived from his early days as a hot bluegrass picker.

Caravan2001

I really like that pic from the Yale show that you are using as your avatar....I also have some sweet Hendrix that I will upload when I have a second....Do you have all of that  Fillmore East show?  I think I do, six discs (maybe 5?)....it's chronic...The complete woodstock might be my fave though....Even though I go in waves, for the most part I can't get enough Hendrix....good thread....I love the smell of acid in the morning  :-P

susep

Quote from: caravan2001 on October 01, 2006, 01:46:02 AM
I really like that pic from the Yale show that you are using as your avatar....I also have some sweet Hendrix that I will upload when I have a second....Do you have all of that  Fillmore East show?  I think I do, six discs (maybe 5?)....it's chronic...The complete woodstock might be my fave though....Even though I go in waves, for the most part I can't get enough Hendrix....good thread....I love the smell of acid in the morning  :-P

Thanks, the above link to file was derived from that 6 disc set also.  Similarly I go in Hendrix waves also.  I'm waiting for Lanie Hendrix to digitize the entire Hendrix vault instead of milking it w/ 1 release per year.

sophist

she'll have to get a whiff of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ first
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

yet more proof why relatives/family shouldn't own the rights to public art.  same with miles also.  and ole jerry too.  Fuckers get greedy and screw the fans.

susep

Quote from: phan003 on October 01, 2006, 10:55:24 AM
yet more proof why relatives/family shouldn't own the rights to public art.  same with miles also.  and ole jerry too.  Fuckers get greedy and screw the fans.

She's not even biologically related to Hendrix and was adopted by Al when he married Lanie's mother, a Japanese woman.  Al left her in power whereas Leon, Jimi's full biological brother tried unsuccessfully to retain some "ownership" of his older brothers estate.
I like John McDermott who has written excellent books and essays restoring the truth of Jimi Hendrix after years of mis-direction during the Douglas era of ownership where whole, original tracks were stripped and over-dubbed w/ classical musicians???  Also Eddie Kramer continues to be involved and would most likely lead any digitizing/editing. 
At least there are avenues of digitizing available but unfortunately for Exp.Hendrix and others, they ultimately fall behind.

Caravan2001

If you ever get to Seattle, check out the Experience Music Project...it's sick.  They have everything, the woodstock strat and amp and tons of other strats and crazy shit.  They also have Are You Experienced hooked up to an 8 channel mixer, and you can mix the album yourself....They have all the effects, all the clothes, so much shit.  I was a little overwhelmed to say the least.....They have a strat hooked up to a fuzzface and univibe and a vox wah and you can sit there and wail (even though it's through headphones....) It's sweet...

sls.stormyrider

great idea susep, thanks, karma.

and yes, the experience music project is almost worth the trip to Seattle itself, (although there are many other reasons to visit)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cactusfan

well all right then.
a little more love for the genius himself is always nice to see.
how about one of the finest versions of I Don't Live Today?
it's from sweden, 1/9/69, the second show of the night, the first being a total disaster.
they went backstage, um, relaxed a bit, came out and went off.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/71jjvc