News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazz Thread

Started by converse29, April 11, 2007, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

yeah no dude, the BET jazz channel is actually pretty good.  sure theres some really lame stuff on occasionally, but those studio jam shows are wicked cool
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Doubt its worth the $50/month I'd have to pay to get it and 250 channels of timewasting dreck.
* rowjimmy is so glad he cut back on tv.

haleakalari

ditto on the tv, i have not had cable for around a year now, even basic cable. would you folks group highlife with jazz, stuff like e.t. mensah or bembeya jazz national?
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

sls.stormyrider

don't know those artists, but to me jazz encompasses pretty much almost everything that's improvisational. When I tell people what I listen to, I prefer the term improvisational music, to include artists like GD, Phish, etc along with what is typically considered jazz. Labels of genres tend to be inaccurate, etc.

Anyway, thought it would be interesting to share 2 versions of Ornette's Lonely Woman I just grabbed. One is by Ornette. The other, Charlie Haden - Branford, Kenny Kirkland (RIP), Billly Higgins. Haden and Higgins played on the original.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oz0ixe
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

Thought I'd bump this thread because I just found a couple great titles for cheap on the iTunes store.

Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff (RVG remaster) ($1.99)

Art Blakey - Free For All ($3.49)

mattstick

http://www.bluenote.com/spotlight/wayne-shorter-etcetera

SPOTLIGHT

Wayne Shorter, Etcetera

WAYNE SHORTER "ETCETERA"
January 9 2015

In Harold and the Purple Crayon," a children's book from 1955, the intrepid hero, a sturdy toddler, decides to go for a walk in the moonlight. There is no moon, and so, with his purple crayon, Harold draws one, and then decides to draw a straight path to walk upon. When this leads him nowhere, he follows his crayon—under the moon's watchful eye—through a series of adventures, conjuring a field, a forest, an apple tree, a nasty dragon, an ocean, a sailboat, a beach, a picnic lunch of pie, a moose and a porcupine to eat it, a mountain to climb, a balloon to ferry him down it, a house, a front yard, a city full of windows, and a policeman to point the way home. Then, finally, he draws his bedroom window around the moon, draws his bed, draws himself under the covers, drops the pen and goes to sleep.

This synesthetic process is not unlike what Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee, and Joe Chambers did at Rudy Van Gelder's studio on June 14, 1965, when they made Etcetera, Shorter's fifth recording for Blue Note. Like each of Shorter's other Blue Note sessions from that era, it was a one-shot affair.  "There was nothing developmental as a band," he told his biographer Michelle Mercer. "A recording was just one movie, and then the next was another movie, in a kind of dream away from Miles."

The notion of an imaginary screenplay in notes and tones suits the ambiance of this exceptional date. Each piece evokes a fantasy world, tells a story with a beginning, a middle and an end upon which the protagonists improvise, creating lines that assume a life of their own and following them wherever they choose. As Hancock put it thirty-seven years later, "The world is Wayne's stage; he can grab a metaphor from almost anything in life."

Perhaps that cinematic, episodic quality is one reason why Etcetera, which would not be released until fifteen years after it was recorded, resonates so deeply with numerous Boomer jazzfolk. Another is the humanity of Shorter's instrumental voice, efflorescent in the quartet setting, emotional, hardcore, expressing the same passion, vulnerability and free spirit that suffuses his pieces.

Consider the kaleidoscopic emotional range conveyed on the noirish title track, on which the leader and Hancock, already close friends after nine months together with Miles, offer soliloquies conveying ecstasy, torment, and angst, navigating the tricky harmonic terrain with melodies that meander through, around, and in synch with Joe Chambers' roiling, orchestrative, funky beats. On the meditative "Penelope," dedicated perhaps to the wife of Odysseus or to a real, live woman (Shorter doesn't say), the composer channels his inner Strayhorn, while on "Toy Tune," a mid-tempo swinger that doesn't settle on a key center, Shorter offers a master class on building tension over multiple choruses. On Gil Evans' "Barracudas," he uncorks a Coltrane-inflected declamation (Hancock's response is equally intense) whose thematic coherence is undoubtedly informed by his year-earlier solo flight on Evans' swirling arrangement of that piece on The Individualism of Gil Evans.  Of "Indian Song," an anthemic line propelled by Cecil McBee's insistent bass vamp and Joe Chambers' impeccable, surging, polyrhythmic 5/4 beat, Shorter further refracts Coltrane's syntax and spirit into his own argot on a lengthy first section, before Hancock, himself a force of nature, completely changes the feel.

Perhaps another reason why Etcetera has become such a notable signpost is that, as much as any other Shorter album, it emblemizes an aspiration that Shorter stated in 2003, while traveling in Europe with his present quartet in the aftermath of the U.S. invasion of Iraq. "Music is a part of the struggle," he said. "They talk about the unknown factor—they don't know what's going to happen. Why don't we do that every night on stage?  There's no school, no university for the unknown. Music is mysterious. Everything is. The unexpected is what's happening."

mattstick

WTF are those missing plugin things and how do I get rid of them?

cactusfan

just received this amazing Sun Ra poster in the mail:

looks like it's still available at Black Dragon Press, if ya like this sort of thing.
it's about 40 inches by 27 inches, printed on thick paper, with seriously vibrant colors.
limited editon of 125.

http://blackdragonpress.bigcartel.com/product/space-is-the-place

zimbra

I cannot get off the Chet Baker vinyl lately! soo good.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mattstick

For some reason the CDs are $86 on amazon.ca

mattstick

Tony Allen's Art Blakey tribute on Blue Note is super cool...

Buffalo Budd

I had never heard of Terri Lyne Carrington but stumbled upon this yesterday and they are pretty phenomenal.
All woman cast and they rip...

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.