News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazz Thread

Started by converse29, April 11, 2007, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

converse29

I just thought I'd start another thread on Jazz. Anything goes. Just like jazz. For instance-
I've been listening to a great McCoy Tyner(piano) album called "The Real McCoy" with Joe Henderson on Sax,Elvin Jones on drums.
The piano for me is a great tool in understanding music and jazz for that matter from a theory standpoint. So,with that said I've also been enjoying the music of Bill Evans,Oscar Peterson,Art Tatum.
Thanks-Converse.

ucusty

the sirius jazz channels are good

converse29

Quote from: ucusty on April 11, 2007, 01:14:39 PM
the sirius jazz channels are good
Cool. Any jams that standout in your mind from Sirius? :-D

ucusty

rowjimmy

I'm a big McCoy Tyner fan. The way he blocks his chords is powerful and moving.

converse29

Quote from: ucusty on April 11, 2007, 01:23:57 PM
Bitches Brew!!!
Yeah cool. I just picked up a book of Miles Davis arrangements for solo guitar. The player who wrote the book picked up the guitar at eight. Soothing chords for the "Blue In Green" arrangement which was actually written by Bill Evans.

converse29

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 11, 2007, 01:24:57 PM
I'm a big McCoy Tyner fan. The way he blocks his chords is powerful and moving.
He's a really powerful force on the piano. Really driving. Any particular McCoy albums that inspire you as of late(that you're listening to)?

converse29

I'm eyeing Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil" on Amazon right now....but I just bought an electric guitar. Back away from the diamond. :-D

susep

I've been listening to this album, great stuff.  I'm not a big Methany fan per se but his collab w/ Ornette brings out some interesting playing.  
Also listening to a lot of  :syf: Spring '72, the Dark Stars and The Other Ones contain very jazzy improv., some of their best.  

converse29

Ornette Coleman created the term "Harmolodics". Joe Zawinul calls it "nobody solos,everybody solos" according to Wikipedia. Ornette has in the past used a plastic saxophone. He probably still does. I can't wait to catch him at Bonnaroo. :-D

rowjimmy

I actually haven't gone around through my jazz records in a while but...
Solo stuff (off the top of my head):
Expansions
Super Trios

Those are choice records.

I'm mostly familiar him from his work with Coltrane starting with "My Favorite Things" (not their first together but the earliest one I think I've heard,) through the classic Impulse albums.

He's also on some great mid-late 60s Lee Morgan records (Deelightful & Blue Breakbeats) to name a couple. and some good Wayne Shorter stuff.

I usta scoop up all kinds of stuff on vinyl with the basic threads of personell running back to Mile Davis or Coltrane's bands. If it was on Blue Note, Verve, or Impulse and had anyone from that broad circle, I'd grab it. McCoy Tyner led me to Grant Green, for example (Solid).

rowjimmy

Quote from: converse29 on April 11, 2007, 01:56:04 PM
Ornette Coleman ...I can't wait to catch him at Bonnaroo. :-D

Likewise  8-)

converse29

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 11, 2007, 02:01:22 PM
I actually haven't gone around through my jazz records in a while but...
Solo stuff (off the top of my head):
Expansions
Super Trios

Those are choice records.

I'm mostly familiar him from his work with Coltrane starting with "My Favorite Things" (not their first together but the earliest one I think I've heard,) through the classic Impulse albums.

He's also on some great mid-late 60s Lee Morgan records (Deelightful & Blue Breakbeats) to name a couple. and some good Wayne Shorter stuff.

I usta scoop up all kinds of stuff on vinyl with the basic threads of personell running back to Mile Davis or Coltrane's bands. If it was on Blue Note, Verve, or Impulse and had anyone from that broad circle, I'd grab it. McCoy Tyner led me to Grant Green, for example (Solid).
I'm slowly building a solo McCoy Tyner collection myself. The sixties as we all know brought great performances from McCoy throughout the ten year span.

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 11, 2007, 02:01:22 PM

Another Piano Player who is worth mentioning is Andrew Hill.

I think it was Joe Henderson, Tony Williams and Blue Note that drew me to his record "Point Of Departure". "Smokestack" is another great record.

sls.stormyrider

I'll start with McCoy, cause that was the initial post today (I think). Can't say enough - kinda plays piano almost like Trane played sax. Reminds me of a waterfall that keeps going. Love what he does on My favorite Things.
Don't have many of his albums. The one that comes to mind is Infinity (w Michael Brecker). I saw the tour that supported that cd - unbelievable show and great disc also. I should check out other releases though.
I picked up a nice show of his on LL with Pharoah sanders
http://db.etree.org/myshows_detail.php?showid=6641291

The Pat Methaney show on LL is worth grabbing. I admire his talent but haven't been a great fan of his. Really enjoy this show though.
Pat Metheny Trio w.D.Sanchez2005-09-17.fob.dpa4023.tomp.flac16
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."