News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

anybody making anything good...

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, November 18, 2007, 03:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

FYI: this might not sound cool to some.

So i mentioned this whole Duck experiment...i am making (trying) free-range, humane, organic foie gras.  I've tthought about doing it for about 7 yrs, and this is it.  Ducky is 3.5 months old, kept in a large pen with a small pool to play in and he has been eating over 1 lb of corn soaked in h2o (for easier conversion to fat).  He is about 7 lbs now, where the others, kept in a separate pen are about 4 lbs...I also brough back a black truffle from vegas (score!), so i am making a Truffled Foie Gras Tourchon with home-made fig preserves and  duck "cracklins", which is duck skin cooked in duck fat until its crispy.  The family has only heard me rave about this kind of stuff, so i am thrilled to make it for them to try...

Poor little Ducky.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sunrisevt

A world without foie gras would be a sad, sad place. Improving, humanizing, and localizing production is a noble experiment. I applaud your efforts. This also answers my question--you were the guy who posted a while back about cooking for Alice Waters.

BTW, Bobafett, why duck, specifically? I'm just curious.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Bobafett on November 20, 2007, 08:17:26 PM
FYI: this might not sound cool to some.

So i mentioned this whole Duck experiment...i am making (trying) free-range, humane, organic foie gras.  I've tthought about doing it for about 7 yrs, and this is it.  Ducky is 3.5 months old, kept in a large pen with a small pool to play in and he has been eating over 1 lb of corn soaked in h2o (for easier conversion to fat).  He is about 7 lbs now, where the others, kept in a separate pen are about 4 lbs...I also brough back a black truffle from vegas (score!), so i am making a Truffled Foie Gras Tourchon with home-made fig preserves and  duck "cracklins", which is duck skin cooked in duck fat until its crispy.  The family has only heard me rave about this kind of stuff, so i am thrilled to make it for them to try...

Poor little Ducky.

If your family doesn't like it and want to send the leftovers somewhere  - LMK :-)

BTW if you feed the duck like that to make fois gras, how is the rest of it?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Lot's of g*nja food going on over here.....I'm up to my gills in butter  8-)

thechad

Quote from: caravan2001 on November 21, 2007, 12:37:19 AM
Lot's of g*nja food going on over here.....I'm up to my gills in butter  8-)

I only wish. 

My Family is HUGE, so if the wife and I bring anything I get yelled at because there is too much food (How can you have too much food when you are feeding 60 people).  The wife, however, is from France and her parents now live in VT so we go to their house on friday and her mother makes Coq a Vin and lamb.  I loves me some lamb but I have to bring my own mint jelly, they think I'm a barbarian.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Igbo

Because i am hungover at work and thinking about the Holiday....

Who is cooking tomorrow? I got a free turkey and am thinking about deep frying that shit after tomorrow once the kits go on sale.

What type of tasty Paug treats you doing tomorrow?

sunrisevt

I'll share...even though there's another thread like this.

The traditional Sachs & Ballantine feast--

Snacks:
caviar pie (cold, not cooked, more like a layered dip. delicious. )
smoked salmon
cheeses, etc.
-with champagne

The main event:
roast turkey
my dad's stuffing (full of fresh bread, sausage, pecans, water chesnuts & cranberries)
several pureed root veggies
gratin potatoes (that's my part)
salad
-with gallons of red wine

My mom's pies, pumpkin, apple, mincemeat
-with coffee, probably more wine

Frying a turkey scares me--all that hot, flammable oil? Yikes. Go with God, Igbo.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

since yesterday, Mrs lbs has been working on a Thanksgiving dinner that just can't be beat.
all made in house

lunch
homemade minestrone

snacks
eggplant dip, cheese, etc

dinner
pumpkin soup (?southwestern style) with hot peppers and pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
turkey with focaccia stuffing
sweet potatoes topped with apples and Calvados
squash with kale
garlic mashed potatoes
haricots vert with shallots and toasted hazel nuts
apple cider, pinot noir

desert
pumpkin pie
apple strudel
cheesecake
coffee
ice cider (from Quebec)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

blatboom

Quote from: Bobafett on November 20, 2007, 08:17:26 PM
Poor little Ducky.

I'm definitely all for eating fowl, but I sure hope he didn't have a name... :cry:

nab

Quote from: slslbs on November 21, 2007, 12:13:42 PM
since yesterday, Mrs lbs has been working on a Thanksgiving dinner that just can't be beat.
all made in house

lunch
homemade minestrone

snacks
eggplant dip, cheese, etc

dinner
pumpkin soup (?southwestern style) with hot peppers and pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
turkey with focaccia stuffing
sweet potatoes topped with apples and Calvados
squash with kale
garlic mashed potatoes
haricots vert with shallots and toasted hazel nuts
apple cider, pinot noir

desert
pumpkin pie
apple strudel
cheesecake
coffee
ice cider (from Quebec)

Mmm....

alcoholandcoffeebeans

turducken.... anyone tried this?

a friend of mine out ont he eastern shore invited me out 4 years in a row to have this with his family.
i can't eat meat, except seafood.... trying to work fowl back into my diet at least...
i can do eggs/dairy and the like... just not pork or red meat...can't even eat deer. sucks..

anyhow, is this stuffs anygood?!
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sunrisevt

My cousin and his crew in Brooklyn do a turducken feast once every mid-winter. I've never been, but it sounds awesome. Lots and lots of meat.

Why no meat? Choice or health?

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 21, 2007, 01:05:23 PM
My cousin and his crew in Brooklyn do a turducken feast once every mid-winter. I've never been, but it sounds awesome. Lots and lots of meat.

Why no meat? Choice or health?

my body decided it didn't want to process it anymore.
i have to be guarded in what i eat... but i can eat by-products...it's weird. ma thinks it might be my gallbladder, in some way, shape, or form....
even bullion cubes and chicken broth upset my belly.

sucks living in the south, too...
EVERYTHING is either made in animal fat or cooked with some kind of meats...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sunrisevt

You've got lots of health care pros in your family, though, right? Ample advice, resources?

Sorry about the forced diet. My little sis has PKU--phenylketonuria. It's an inherited condition that prevents her from metabolizing phenylalanine, which is in pretty much all the protien sources in the human diet. Without a strictly controlled diet, people w/ PKU end up severely mentally disabled. So she drinks an engineered protein supplement w/o phenylalanine, and eats only low protien foods. I.e., no flesh, dairy, nuts, legumes.... but animal fats are ok, like butter, and cream in small doses. Every dish other than turkey at our place has a smaller, separate version for her. Diet works--she's a phi beta kappa classics grad. (Me=proud big brother.) :-)

alcoholandcoffeebeans

medical pros out the wazzo, yes sir.. and I'm heading in the same direction...

sis has a funky thing that's up with her too, and has to watch all kinds of things she eats
and that's based around what GTE's filtered out in to her body and then to the liver.
she's got autoimmune hepatitis. not contagious. not from drugs.
it basically means her body decided one day to attack her liver as if it were foreign.
she found this out a year before her 21st birthday and was super disappointed.
none the less i rented the bar out that i was manageing, shut it down, and threw her a bash in downtown
Richmond, Va. :) was fun... and the doc even let her have one drink for that :)

weird things the human body can do or not do.
an extraordinary machine.