News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

invading Chicago...

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, April 06, 2008, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

so, i might not be around as much as normal being in the "windy city"...

but i thought what i might do, for those of you whom haven't been there is post 2 new pictures everyday of different things/places i went to or saw... deal?

alright gentlemen, behave yourself...
have a wonderful April!

my train leaves at 10pm.
I'll be at Wrigley on my birfday.
and Lincoln Park for the Green Apple Fest.

i more excited/nervous than you know...

:-D
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

willsteele

I was pissed when i found out about the green apple fest....some good bands playin.  I'll be in Amory, MS visiting with the in-laws.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

antelope19

Nice!  I've never been to Chicago so I look forward to seeing some pics!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Chicago... Gotta get there sometime.
Lately, I think of this song whenever I think of that town.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

so i made it :)

not gonna get into much tonight... maybe the jazz/blues bar right up the road... maybe a vinyl shop or two  :-D

so here's my view outside my place, please excuse the scaffolding :)
the lake is right across the street on the other side of Lincoln park...

the pictures will be better tomorrow...
but in this you can see the lake and Lincoln park...
some skyline in the background.

till tomorrow :)

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sls.stormyrider

this is the song that comes into my head when I think of the windy city

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

willsteele

I hear the weather up there hasn't been so great.  Hope its better when I get back.  :-P

I'm sure you're enjoying it anyway.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

WillBreathes

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on April 06, 2008, 01:25:58 PM

but i thought what i might do, for those of you whom haven't been there is post 2 new pictures everyday of different things/places i went to or saw... deal?
:-D

Deal breaker!  ;D
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

alcoholandcoffeebeans

oh f off :)
been busy.....

but i'll make it up to ya'll today....
weather's not been so bad.... yesterday was GORGEOUS. no joke.

got a handful from a walk along lakeshore drive yesterday... this walk is right across the street from where i'm staying... absolutely beautiful beach along Lake Michigan.

this is the view of the skyline from the bridge/walkway over lakeshore drive to get to the beach.....

and this is the view of the beach from the a little further across the walk way... its' jsut so hard for me to beleive that this is a hop, skip, and a jump from my place!

here's two of the skyline from a little pier we walked out onto... just thought the view was nice.
you can almost make out NAvy Pier... this is how far we started from it....

... i think you can kinda see the ferris wheel.

we made it to a little park my room mate had never seen... so we walked in and sat along the ledge and the concrete jungle was ALMOST breathtaking. its' funny how beautiful such gigantic, man-made structures can be... the one building with the two antennas coming off of it is the Hancock building... that's about all i know as far as that goes right now...

and thus ends my walk, pre-first night of work... this is the southside entrance to Navy Pier.

work was awesome last ngiht as well... i think i'm going to really enjoy this month :)
last night after work, we went to a place called "the green mill"
tight jazzy/salsa music. totally done up 20's style inside and the cocktail waitress looked like betty page. i was so in love...
i'll get pics of that place soon, as i'm sure i'll go back! :D

jephrey

The Green Mill is my favorite place... Been there a handful of times.  Notice they can go through a trap door behind the bar into the cellar.  I've heard stories about the Mill being one of Capone's hangouts.  I've been for poetry slam once - awesome and I've seen Patricia Barber there a couple times.  She does solo piano with a snifter o brandy standing by.  I believe tore up Bemsha Swing (or I could be confused with another Thelonius tune) while I was there.  I bought a couple albums that I don't listen to (now I feel the time and place to listen to Patricia is at the Mill between midnight and 4AM over a dirty gin martini - straight up).  I also hung there before the Oysterhead show down the street at the Aragon in 2001 or 2002.  Oh, I also saw Kurt Elling (unique vocalist) there before I saw him sing with Herbie Hancock at Ravinia (outdoor place with lawn chairs allowed (yuppies with wine and cheese out on blankets)).  Check him out if you like jazz scat vocals and whatnot.  Since I'm out in the burbs, I like the pictures even though I've seen it in person plenty.  I hope your stay is good - that weather was teasing with the flurries this weekend.  Ah well, it'll be comfortable later this week.  Hopefully more Cubs wins too.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

willsteele

Quote from: jephrey on April 14, 2008, 01:04:11 AM
....Ravinia (outdoor place with lawn chairs allowed (yuppies with wine and cheese out on blankets)). 

HAHA  Ravinia types drive me insane.  Nice. 

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: jephrey on April 14, 2008, 01:06:43 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Chicago-Kurt-Elling/dp/B00003W87S

http://www.jazzpolice.com/content/view/4814/116/

And she was at the mill tonight and will be there next Sunday too if you get the chance.

next sunday too?
looks like i know what i'll be doing after the green apple festi :)

thanks j

Blaise

Quote from: jephrey on April 14, 2008, 01:04:11 AM
The Green Mill is my favorite place... Been there a handful of times.  Notice they can go through a trap door behind the bar into the cellar.  I've heard stories about the Mill being one of Capone's hangouts.  I've been for poetry slam once - awesome and I've seen Patricia Barber there a couple times.  She does solo piano with a snifter o brandy standing by.  I believe tore up Bemsha Swing (or I could be confused with another Thelonius tune) while I was there.  I bought a couple albums that I don't listen to (now I feel the time and place to listen to Patricia is at the Mill between midnight and 4AM over a dirty gin martini - straight up).  I also hung there before the Oysterhead show down the street at the Aragon in 2001 or 2002.  Oh, I also saw Kurt Elling (unique vocalist) there before I saw him sing with Herbie Hancock at Ravinia (outdoor place with lawn chairs allowed (yuppies with wine and cheese out on blankets)).  Check him out if you like jazz scat vocals and whatnot.  Since I'm out in the burbs, I like the pictures even though I've seen it in person plenty.  I hope your stay is good - that weather was teasing with the flurries this weekend.  Ah well, it'll be comfortable later this week.  Hopefully more Cubs wins too.

Most def an old speakeasy/capone hangout. If you look around there still bullet holes in the walls. The cellar is where the old speakeasy was. Great place, glad someone who knew what was up took you/told you about it. It is the most famous jazz club in chicago and one of the most famous in the us for that matter. If you want to know what it looks like rent oceans 12(I think thats the right one), they filmed a scene inside and out.

jephrey

Actually, the barkeeps head down there to grab more bottles etc all the time.  If you're up at the bar right in front, you're bound to catch a glimpse of the cellar.