News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Can't vouch for the entire show,but when I d/l 5-3-72 (now off the archive) in January, I put the Dark Star>Dew from 5-18-72 as filler.
Mind melting space jams 8-)

QuotePosted by: VA slim
Insert Quote
RANDOM REC.s//hidden GEMS:

6-14-68, fillmore east, NYC: First fillmore east show, *...IMO, -and it is hard to say b/c of the quality, but this might be an all time best show, if the shredding that jerry does throughout is an indication...seriously some of the best guitar i've ever heard. Highly recommended for taking some time out to give a good listen to this enire set.

Amazing show - Caution is insane!!!!
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

Quote from: slslbs on October 13, 2005, 10:50:47 PM
Can't vouch for the entire show,but when I d/l 5-3-72 (now off the archive) in January, I put the Dark Star>Dew from 5-18-72 as filler.
Mind melting space jams 8-)

QuotePosted by: VA slim
Insert Quote
RANDOM REC.s//hidden GEMS:

6-14-68, fillmore east, NYC: First fillmore east show, *...IMO, -and it is hard to say b/c of the quality, but this might be an all time best show, if the shredding that jerry does throughout is an indication...seriously some of the best guitar i've ever heard. Highly recommended for taking some time out to give a good listen to this enire set.

Amazing show - Caution is insane!!!!

SLSLBS, did you burn it??
glad you heard it.
that show is unreal, if you ask me...some of the parts of eleven...and caution, w/ Pig freakin on the harp!!...major  f--in stuff, major, heavy stuff, jerry is seriously just shootin laser beams out of that les paul

Ps. that 5-18-72 show is great too ...i went back and listenend again after you mentioned it...
i think the recording quailty is mint for 72, great DStar>dew, and the Playin' is very intense and tight too.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Alumni

I don't post in this thread regularly, but I wanted to send a quick thanks for all the suggestions. They're appreciated. Especially the older, more intense shows :D

I've listened to the Dead for more than a decade now, but I've never really gotten into the early stuff.  I got used to getting my  "intense" fix from Phish.  Phish was Saturday night. The Dead were Sunday morning (and driving).  And I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

I'm looking forward to raiding the archives
Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

Agree- Love that archive :lol:

Slim- didn't burn 6-16 yet- still on my ipod. I agree, jerry on the Les Paul is amazing. Hot, intense stuff with great improvisational playing. Still love the 70s too. A different kind of intensity and soul in the playing.

Another cool thing i keep noticing is how jams often contain snippets of songs that are developed later - have heard bits of weather report and music never stopped in 73 jams.

today i checked out 6-19-68. the 2nd set is one long jam, part of it they jam on what will become the bridge to PITB.  :-D :-D
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

Quote from: slslbs on October 16, 2005, 10:08:37 PM
Agree- Love that archive :lol:

today i checked out 6-19-68. the 2nd set is one long jam, part of it they jam on what will become the bridge to PITB.  :-D :-D

yes, that one as well is phat...in  addition to the "main ten" jam you mentioned, it has the 1st (i believe) NFA ---a very weird upbeat intense version...

i'm glad you noticed those shows, -- i didnt mention them myself b/c of the quality some might not get it, but if you are digging those, def. check out the one right before them --5-18... its an audience partial but recorded by Jorma from hot tuna(back when he was a dead groupie) on stage and it is hot too!!!!>>>Alligator has been my favorite song of late, and this is a goodie.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=15490

(PS.  -notice my  reviews of these shows ON the archive?!?---6-14 i got a little excited about :lol:)

****BTW. --while i'm talking bout 'alligators', i'll throw another shout out to the 11-6-70 (listen to disc 4 only for decent aud. quality) alligator, w/ 1st fullfleged mountain jam---check it out!!(--as well as the entire 11-8 if you havent already!)
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=14590

sls.stormyrider

Funny - I have had the riff from Alligator going through my head the past 2 days.

I'm a big Jorma/tuna  fan so will have to check out the other show. Man, would I love to hear Jorma and Jerry together playing acoustic. wonder if that ever happened?

BTW can't miss your reviews. Keep em comin

rowjimmy

Jorma and Jerry did play some electric together.
I have a couple such recordings sitting around somewhere...

VA $l!m

ROwJIM:

check out the link i have above to the 5-18-68 show, and listen to the very end of the show, after the finish, there is some funny banter between, jorma and bobby ,on his recording, something from bobby 'bout"fuck the proliteriate..." check it out.

**apparently a bunch of the shows from this period leading up to aand including  this show are Jorma's
"on stage" audience recordings... apparently there has always been a debate to whether or not they were aud. or SBDs b/c of the crisp nature of the onstage aud. recorded sound... sorta interesting to think a great musician like Jorma was entranced by what the dead were doing at this early peak period, enough to engineer this series of aud. recordings.

PS**  Another thing about Alligator:  I LOVE this song, and one thing that i'm still wrapped up in about it , is its progression as a jam vehicle song for the dead...there are so many different forms the post drums part of the song takes on, and a lot of different directions it goes at different times...plus always some shredding jerry, and inclusion and genesis
of future jams or songs...DIG IT!

VA $l!m

While we are on the subject i thought i would just give a quick overview of everything i took from '68.
i've listened to practically every show from  '68 on the archive, and IMO, this quickly covers the highlights and essential stuff.

1.20 & 2.2 (fit on 1 disc)
3.3 *
5.18 (will fit as filler on disc 1 of 3.16) *
6.14 *
6.19 *
8.22 (fits as filler on disc 1 of 8.23)
10.30 (("J.Garcia & friends"//--or ""mickey & the Hartbeats"))

*shows might have "questionable" recording quality, but IMO are worth the DL for quality of performance, historical
value, or both.

--That's it, and the Best part about it is that excluding the "hartbeats" show , it only took 15 discs!!!!
Quite possibly the best $3.oo i ever spent.   8-)

SlIM

PS. while i'm here, i'll give a rec. for a great place to start w/ the '69 arcive:  2-12-69 Fillmore East----
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12851

susep

I recently went through the archive and found some amazing, obscure stuff like Jerry playing with Wales in '69, several amazing Lovelights, I guess the thing to do is download the fastest format(64) listen, if you like dl the shn version, edit, whatever.  I covered the following: 68-Aug. 71 or right before Keith joins, Fall 71-31Dec72>amazing era full of peak jazz Dead.  I plan to review 73-74 and 76-78 later on this winter.  Definitely check out 31Dec.1972 esp. the second set(epic Other One). 

sls.stormyrider

On the topic of Jorma, Airplane showed up at the end of a Dead show 11-20-70. A friend of mine from work was there and said it was amazing. I checked out the last set when they all jammed and wasn't very impressed. There are definitely much better shows from 1970.

VA $l!m

since you brought up jams w/ other bands from '70......

what does everyone think of 2-11-70s jams w/ members from the allmans and fleetwood mac??
i never heard it untill i got it off the archive last month.
personally, i found the Lovelight interesting and fun, but defintely a little clunky and disorganized as well w/ all the cooks in the kitchen , so to speak.

As far as the Airplane goes, i'm a HUGE fan...  though i've never really aquired any of there live stuff, outside of official releases......its weird, i almost think of them as more of a studio group like the beatles, even though i know i am completely wrong...i just Love their early albums so much, i think their stiff translates so much better in the studio than the dead.

sls.stormyrider

I agree on both counts.
I think Duane might have joined earlier during Dark Star, but some of the tape got cut off. Would have loved to have heard it. The lovelight is fun but partly because of the novelty. Part of the problem with that show was the mix-you can hear Phil great but its hard to hear Duane and Peter Green. Bottom line though is not enough space for all those guys. IMO  the jam from 6/10/73 with Dicky Betts is weaker than the rest of the show for the same reason.

What little live Airplane I have heard is also dissapointing. Got something on TTD a while back-I wouldn't want to make any generalizations on a couple of shows but..

Acoustic Hot Tuna is worth hearing, although there taping policy prohibits torrents. Not the same type of jamming as Phish or the Dead, but Jorma and Jack are both great at what they do and mesh really well together.

VA $l!m

Def. SLSLBS, Hot Tuna is Phat...been awhile since i've heard them, but they are great.

As far as 6-10-73, i would probably agree, and in general all the jams w/ the allmans tend to have that same problem... though i did really like this filler i just happened to find on a phishcd "ITSNOT" gave me: it was the ABB's set from 6-9-73...whipping post and mountain jam w/ keith , bobby, jerry. very nice.

i also really like the 4-26-71 fillmore east stuff w/ duane allman, check it out:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=14852
--Streaming as i type...oh yeah,- hurts me too Duane!(...plus THE best hard to handle --PERIOD, no discussion)

and then there is  watkins glen7-28-73:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=12102
---which i won't say what my opinion is right now, b/c i havent listened to it enough, but from what i recall, the mountain jam is pretty sick.
I think i only DLed the superjam stuff, which also includes members of 'the band'(whom i love as well)
& used it as filler for either the previos night's souncheck, or 8-1rooseveltstdm.((:which by the way i was listening to the DARK STAR>elpaso>eyes>morning dew last night--WHEW!!!!___the archive source is a mess on this one and i did some serious editing, so maybe i'll list it later))

Def. check out the 4-26-71 stuff, probably the best overall recording w/ duane sitting in. 8-)

PS., i had to return & edit this post since i'm still streaming 4-26-71, and i got through the  MONSTER good lovin'...i'm gonna have to say:  :-o   -GO!! --Listen!!, i might just have to add this good lovin' to an all-timer best list!>>>check out the insane sT. stephen/nfa/gdtrfb/-& the kitchen sink- teases and jams~1o min. mark--PHAT!!!!!!!!!!!love it!!(--don't forget to  listen to the HARDto handle as well).

slim...

sls.stormyrider

Haven't heard all of 4/26 but i like what I heard so far 8-)
Duane was one of my favorite guitarists ever-ABB at Fillmore was my introduction to "jambands" (for lack of a better word) and is still one of my favorite recordings - ever. This might contradict my prior post but it doesn't surprise me that Duane would have fit in (by himself, not with a slew of other guys) because of all of his session work. If you get a chance, check out Duane Allman Anthology (unless you already have). Searing, mind bending slide guitar with clarence Carter, Aretha, Delaney &Bonnie to name a few.  Derek Trucks comes closest to his sound, IMO.

I think I'll d/l Watkins Glen tonight. I remember wanting to go (I was only 14-my parents would have NO part of that :-().For some reason I thought it was dissapointing, maybe just sour grapes for not be able to go.

BTW you prob already know this but GD Fillmore West 2/69 is being released on rhino 11/01. I d/l 2/27 before it was pulled - its a HOT show!!!