News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New Phish Album??

Started by mistercharlie, January 09, 2011, 12:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

So I've been seeing reports that Phish is spending the spring in the studio recording a new album. My question is... Will it suck as bad as Joy or will it be worse?

Song's that could possibly be on the disc are not promising:

Dr. Gable
Show Of Life
Summer of '89
My Problem Right There
Pigtail
Burn That Bridge
Halfway To The Moon  (the only winner in the bunch)

And then there's the possible songs that Phish has started playing that where originally released on solo albums:
Idea
Beauty of a Broken Heart
What Things Seem
Invisible
Sleep Again

And Trey songs that haven't been played by Phish yet, but could still be on the album:
All That Almost was (But Will Never Be)
Words To Wanda
Obstacle of Course

Pretty sure I won't buy a cd with all of these turds on it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

aphineday

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 09, 2011, 12:53:32 PM
So I've been seeing reports that Phish is spending the spring in the studio recording a new album. My question is... Will it suck as bad as Joy or will it be worse?

Song's that could possibly be on the disc are not promising:

Dr. Gable
Show Of Life
Summer of '89
My Problem Right There
Pigtail
Burn That Bridge
Halfway To The Moon  (the only winner in the bunch)

And then there's the possible songs that Phish has started playing that where originally released on solo albums:
Idea
Beauty of a Broken Heart
What Things Seem
Invisible
Sleep Again

Pretty sure I won't buy a cd with all of these turds on it.
A couple things here. I think this is probably right, they are recording a record. First show=Hampton over Memorial Day weekend? Very possible IMO.
I'll go ahead and disagree with the "Joy sucks" mindset. I only really judge studio material from Phish once I have a chance to hear it live a few times. That being said, there are some tracks on Joy that I don't hate. Kill Devil Falls, Backwards Down the Number Line, Light, and Twenty Years Later are all songs I can get down to live (maybe even a Stealing Time from the Faulty Plan every now and then). Do I think it's their most inspired work, or my favorite songs they've ever written? Of course not, but I don't think the songs are complete shit either.

I'm with you on most of the songs you mentioned as a possibility for the new album. I did like Halfway to the Moon, and Pigtail possibly had some potential from the one time I've actually heard it. I need to re-listen to really make up my mind on that one.

I think the deeper question is whether there are some songs they haven't brought to the shows yet. Is it possible they have some really good stuff they have been sitting on? I suppose anything is possible. I'd love to see a return to some more experimental song writing, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll do my best to be happy with what we get, and wait to hear it all live and (possibly) jammed before I can make up my mind at all though.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mattstick

Joy sucks, and if recently debuted material is an indication, this new album will probably suck harder.

willsteele

Quote from: aphineday on January 09, 2011, 01:18:12 PM
I'll go ahead and disagree with the "Joy sucks" mindset.......Kill Devil Falls, Backwards Down the Number Line, Light, and Twenty Years Later are all songs I can get down to live.....Do I think it's their most inspired work, or my favorite songs they've ever written? Of course not, but I don't think the songs are complete shit either.

Agreed.

Joy may not have been the best album ever but I don't think it completely sucked. 
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

blatboom

yeah, I wouldn't say Joy completely sucked.  this one might.

jedifunk

are any of you people actual phish fans?

or just nutbags with nothing better to do
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

blatboom

sorry, I meant to say it was going to be the greatest album ever recorded.

rowjimmy

Quote from: blatboom on January 09, 2011, 03:32:11 PM
sorry, I meant to say it was going to be the greatest album ever recorded.

Blood On The Tracks came out a long time ago, dude.

WhatstheUse?

I don't think Joy sucked.

But with that list of new tunes.... I'm not so sure about a new album
Bring in the dude!

emay

Hopefully this new album will be a mix of some produced "joy" material like Summer of '89, Burn That Bridge, Pigtail, etc...and some dark, jammy songs. I miss the short instrumentals like manteca, all things reconsidered, even maggies revenge off undermind  :roll:.
Im down for a new album, at least they are in the studio playing together and not off doing solo albums/tours. I would rather have them put out this new album and play together, even if its not the best. I am just saying I hope they throw in some jammy/phishy tracks and its not just another straight forward studio produced pop album.

mbw

*predicts they come out with another siket disc type album to silence the haters

phil

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 09, 2011, 03:59:10 PM
*predicts they come out with another siket disc type album to silence the haters

This would be tight. While I am very optimistic about the direction Phish is heading, the list of songs provided above does little to affirm that optimism.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

DoW

Quote from: jedifunk on January 09, 2011, 02:46:39 PM
are any of you people actual phish fans?

or just nutbags with nothing better to do
is this a new poll?

new albums means they overplay songs I don't want to hear and don't play songs I want to hear enough.
it also means they practice these songs and a few songs from the album will fit nicely into the rotation for years to come.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

aphineday

Quote from: phil on January 09, 2011, 04:00:34 PM

This would be tight. While I am very optimistic about the direction Phish is heading, the list of songs provided above does little to affirm that optimism.
Everyone is just assuming that this is going the be the only list they draw from. Let's just relax and wait until we have some kind of concrete proof that these are the songs right? I'm not overly worried... yet.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mistercharlie

Dude, we just got The Victor Disc a year or two ago (even though it was recorded back in '02).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.