News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

I know a bunch of us here use netflix for instant streaming. I thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to giving recommendations for things to watch that are available to stream instantly online. TV shows, documentaries, movies, etc...

I watched "Revolution" last night... it was ok. Pretty cool documentary with first-hand footage of hippies. Not super well done or anything, but def entertaining.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Revolution/70147130?trkid=2431209

Got nothing to do tonight, and looking for another recommendation. Hit me!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

danje

barnesy305

runawayjimbo

The Union: The Business Behind Getting High (2007)

Filmmaker Adam Scorgie explores the illegal marijuana industry in British Columbia, revealing how the international business is most likely more profitable than it would be if it was lawful in this enlightening documentary. Marijuana growers, law enforcement officials, physicians, politicians, criminologists, economists and celebrities -- including comedian Tommy Chong -- shed light on this topical subject in a series of compelling interviews.

A little long thorough, but very informative
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

McGrupp

If anyone is looking for a new show to follow (comedy, think: The Office, but with struggling actors in LA working the catering business), watch "Party Down". First two seasons available for streaming. I watched the first season in almost one sitting. Nothing super brilliant or new, but definitely entertaining.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mistercharlie

Awesome idea for a thread, George!  :clap:

I can't speak for it's quality yet, but I've got Howl queued up to watch tonight. It stars James Franco as Allen Ginsberg. Looks like it could be pretty good.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

there's a great british comedy series called That Mitchell & Webb Look that's hilarious. check it out.

jedifunk

ok here goes.

helvetica - awesome documentary about the typeface and why its so fucking awesome.
exit through the gift shop - banksy documentary about him and mr brainwash.  great street art doc.
objectified - documentary about industrial design and how the little things matter

those are off the top of my head.  i'll have to look back at my recent watched and get some more
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

qop24

I started the BBC series "Sherlock" last night, only 3 episodes but they are each around 1.5hrs.

I only saw the first episode but it's pretty damn good - hopefully I'll get around to the other 2 this weekend.

good thread idea btw!

Oh and Party Down is indeed hilarious, I thought the 2nd season was wayyyy better than the 1st (which I liked)
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

Multibeast12

Quote from: danje on June 22, 2011, 08:55:47 PM
The Thing.
YES!!! Any early John Carpentener film thats instantly. Also, Scanners.

jedifunk

Also the IT Crowd is a hilarious brit comedy
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

cactusfan

Quote from: Multibeast12 on June 23, 2011, 01:19:32 PM
Quote from: danje on June 22, 2011, 08:55:47 PM
The Thing.
YES!!! Any early John Carpentener film thats instantly. Also, Scanners.

some of those streaming movies are in shit quality, though. if the Thing isn't widescreen, there's no point watching it.

khalpin

Most of the stuff available streaming that I gave 4 or more stars to were either classics (Clockwork Orange, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Johnny Dangerously, etc), TV shows (Lost, Family Guy, News Radio, Battlestar Galactica), or a documentary (Food Inc, Exit Through the Gift Shop), but there were a couple regular movies, too:
World's Greatest Dad - Robin Williams makes his son's accidental death look like a suicide
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the 2 sequels (Subtitled movies of the worldwide bestsellers)
The Lost - Jack Ketchum book, always a bit skewed
Cashback - strange and unique about someone who can stop time

spaced

Quote from: McGrupp on June 22, 2011, 10:42:16 PM
If anyone is looking for a new show to follow (comedy, think: The Office, but with struggling actors in LA working the catering business), watch "Party Down". First two seasons available for streaming. I watched the first season in almost one sitting. Nothing super brilliant or new, but definitely entertaining.

I second the recommendation for Party Down. Extremely underrated show that would have been a huge hit in any sane world.

McGrupp

Quote from: spaced on June 23, 2011, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on June 22, 2011, 10:42:16 PM

I second the recommendation for Party Down. Extremely underrated show that would have been a huge hit in any sane world.

Prob too many drug references.

Paul Rudd'd