News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RnR Hall of Fame Nominees 2008

Started by antelope19, October 02, 2007, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

The nominees are in:  What do you all think?

The 2008 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominations have been announced and include Madonna, John Mellencamp, Beastie Boys, Donna Summer, Chic, Afrika Bambaataa, Leonard Cohen, British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and The Ventures.

The five artists who snag the most votes will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

http://jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?StoryID=11609
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Hicks

Very cool that Afrika Bambaataa made the list. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Yeah, I would think Madonna, The Beasties and John Mellencamp are locks.  The other two are up for grabs.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Igbo

I like that the b-Boys and Bambaataa are on the list, but is RunDMC in yet? I would put them before the B-Boys.

Hicks

I think Run DMC isn't eligible until next year, according to amg they were formed in 1982, and the nomination process probably started last year.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Igbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 02, 2007, 04:08:41 PM
I think Run DMC isn't eligible until next year, according to amg they were formed in 1982, and the nomination process probably started last year.

I am not good at math, but they have to be 27 years in the business to be eligible? Thats a weird #

Hicks

Igbo

Ha! That's awesome. I deserve a +K for my community college math skills.

Hicks

Indeed you do, indeed you do.   :-D

sls.stormyrider

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time calling what Madonna does "rock n roll"?

that said, she will probably get in
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

kellerb

I think I read that Mellencamp has been nominated 3 times out of the last 5 years, so maybe he's not a shoo-in.  I was born & raised in Indiana, so I have a biased opinion.  I'm pretty sure they drop johnny cougar music in the water here, its pretty much built into our dna.

redrum

Quote from: slslbs on October 02, 2007, 06:52:17 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time calling what Madonna does "rock n roll"?

that said, she will probably get in

her music? imo not really RnR.

if she gets in it'll probably be cuz of her rebelious style and attitude from her earlier days. and the iconic legacy she's left behind.

..not to mention how many records she's sold and concert tix sales  :|
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

blatboom

i'm sure if we looked at the list of members in the hall of fame we'd find more than a few questionable rock 'n rollers?