News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Paug Parents!

Started by newplanet7, June 10, 2007, 09:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

well, we simply stopped using diapers... that was probably 1.5 - 2 yrs ago.  we put him in undies and just had to change alot, but mostly for pee... he had already gotten pretty good at using the toilet in general.

we used a sticker chart system that seemed to work really well... he got to put a sticker on his chart every time he successfully went potty on the toilet... and we really raved when he did (to boost his ego).
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

now the part we're stuck on is the bed wetting... which he's getting much better at, but still... its a pain to change his sheets at 1am when he's totally passed out and you need to move him, strip the bed, and put new sheets on...

and i suggest using the under sheet with the moisture absorbing lining.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

For pee, a skittle or m&m is a good treat for doing the duty, but you should couple that with other stuff.  We did the pee-pee on the potty dance.  Other people claim that you can potty train your kid in a day, by just putting him on the potty every half-hour, and when he eventually goes, throw a party with noisemakers etc.  Make a phone call to a relative that can do a cartoon voice and talk to your child, and make it a big deal.  For poo, you gotta start early.  At 2-3 you'll be able to tell, because you can see your child go to their happy-place to go poo.  Go over there, don't grab them to go to the potty or anything, just put your hand on their belly and explain that that's the feeling of poo-poo and when they feel that, they should go on the potty.

I'm trying all these things with my daughter right now, but not using excessive effort.  We're not looking at everything as microscopically as our first.  We know it'll happen.  And don't discipline for accidents, but a short explanation works.  I'd hate it if potty time was fear-based, wouldn't you?  Boys take longer.  Mine was 3.5, and I'm sure my daughter will be trained by 3, she's almost going now, and not even 2.5.  My sister was amazingly mostly trianed by 18 months!

I hate diapers too.  And expensive.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Guyute

It's all about THE POTTY BOX.  Not kidding, worked with both my kids.

Take a shoe box and decorate it.  Fill it with trinkets.  Little balls, matchbox cars, snack packages, whatever.  Every time they go they get to take something from the box.  For the first couple of days its a novelty and they go 20 times a day.  After that it gets to be normal and in 2-3 weeks they don't care anymore and go on their own.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

cheerios.
seriously.

we kept a baggie on the back of the toilet.
everytime my brother had to go when he was little... we'd throw a few in there and make a game out of it.

hell he's 17, and still talks about it.

:)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

birdman

Man, you guys are lucky your dealing with toilet training...
  My 10 yo wants her own cell phone, web page, and the new christina aguilera cd :frustrated:.
Not to mention she is beginning to have an interest in the opposite sex...oh good lord , Im screwed   :samurai:
Paug FTMFW!

Caravan2001

Quote from: birdman on June 12, 2007, 08:03:50 PM
  My 10 yo wants her own cell phone, web page, and the new christina aguilera cd :frustrated:.
Not to mention she is beginning to have an interest in the opposite sex...oh good lord , Im screwed   :samurai:

yeah, I'm not nearly as worried about learning how to take care of a baby as I am about having a tween/teen girl!

rowjimmy

Quote from: birdman on June 12, 2007, 08:03:50 PM

I feel ya, man. I'm right there with ya.

Guyute

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 12, 2007, 09:39:33 PM
I feel ya, man. I'm right there with ya.

I already have a quote for window bars.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

antelope19

Would you tell your kids?

I thought this was an interesting article and would def apply to people aorund here.  I know I'll have to face this one day, assuming I have kids.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20414236/wid/11915773?GT1=10316

Ex-tokers wrestle with telling kids not to smoke
It's high time for parents to come clean about pot, some experts say

Parents are looking into the eyes of their teenage children and seeing their own past staring back.

Now, a generation of parents who cleaned their weed on "The White Album" are trying to figure out how to keep their kids from smoking pot and finding their efforts as useless as a double album in a world of iPods.

The big question for today's ex-stoners: Should I tell my kid that I've gotten high?

Some parents seem to have forgotten one of the first lessons we ever teach our children: Tell the truth, even when it's difficult to say or hear. But when it comes to that dreaded conversation, moms and dads are wincing at their past, even if they giggled through it at the time.

"I keep saying to my son, who is going into the music business, 'Look, you're going to be confronted with this stuff any day now,'" says Richard, whose son recently turned 18. "'The day I find out that you've tried it, your life shuts down.'"

Richard, who asked that his last name not be published, lives in upstate New York, not far from where he attended Woodstock as a 19-year-old. And though he was sober then, he tried dope later and feels it eventually led him down some dark paths. He absolutely forbids smoking pot, and neither of his two children knows he smoked. If they ever do sniff out the truth — and use it against him — Richard says he would "stress all the deleterious effects" he has seen and experienced.

Experts such as Mitch Earleywine, associate professor of psychology at State University of New York at Albany and author of the upcoming "The Parents' Guide to Marijuana," agrees with Richard's thinking, but would reproach him for his delivery.

"Soft emotions like sadness and disappointment are the thing to share with kids under these circumstances, as opposed to harder, negative emotions like anger," says Earleywine. Citing a brain study led by psychologist Peter Fried (what are the chances!), he continues, "Then the rational argument follows and includes information about new data that show early use alters brain development, decreases IQ scores and increases the risk for dependence."

Earleywine, who is on the advisory board of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, suggests a parental response along these lines: We didn't understand marijuana very well back then. It makes me sad that you might harm your brain or not be as smart. I'd like you to have all the advantages you can.

Hypocritical oaths
Among nonsmokers and midnight tokers alike, there seems to be a consensus that prohibition sparks the flame of interest: Tell a teenager "absolutely not" and you raise curiosity. Mix that in with a little natural teenage rebellion and you might as well light the bong for your kid.

"If my daughter ever asked me, I think I'd be honest with her about my smoking. ... Otherwise, she'd never believe me, and I think there's a trust issue there," admits Paul, a father of an 8- and 11-year-old from Connecticut who asked that his last name be withheld. However, he adds, "I probably wouldn't tell her how much!"

But telling the truth can corner parents. Struggling to reconcile their own experiences with feelings of hypocrisy, they may have the good-hearted notion to build a rapport of candor and trust by revealing their own experiences. At the same time, they worry it could come back to haunt them.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

birdman

Once they are out of high school, I believe honesty is the best policy.
Until then, i'll stick with "using that stuff wont help you get where you want to go in life"... Wherever that may be :roll:
Paug FTMFW!

redrum

Quote from: antelope19 on August 28, 2007, 04:44:42 PM
Would you tell your kids?

i wouldn't know cause i've never smoked pot. never even seen or smelled it!

.....and i've been to a bunch of phish shows too. is that weird?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

rowjimmy

redrum

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 28, 2007, 05:40:53 PM
Almost unbelievable...

i'm way too stoned to understand that.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

nab

I believe in age appropriate honesty as well.  I wouldn't necessarily condone high school smoking, but I'm honestly more concerned about some of the places/people she might have to be in contact with to obtain pot.  I think about some of the sticky situations I was in when I was younger (from nervous dealers wielding guns to access to more dangerous drugs in addition to pot) that really makes me question why I didn't get myself in more trouble when I was in HS.