News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fox News: At it again

Started by VDB, April 19, 2012, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

This item was originally posted by watchdog.org, a project of the conservative-leaning Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, and reposted at FN.com:

Walmart in this tiny town beats Seattle's minimum wage

A tiny town in the midst of North Dakota's oil boom raised local wages without forcing the issue through city ordinances or state laws — looking at you, Seattle.

In fact, the evidence of the salary spike comes from the much-demonized Walmart, a corporation under fire from leftists who believe the company doesn't pay enough.

So you see! All it takes is a highly anomalous situation in which a boom in natural-resource extraction takes place in a notably underpopulated area, and the free market will take care of wages just fine!

Also, lol at the implication that interest in raising wages is just some "leftist" pet issue. Nevermind that, in one recent poll, 73% of Americans said they favor raising the federal minimum wage.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 19, 2014, 03:52:18 PM
Also, lol at the implication that interest in raising wages is just some "leftist" pet issue.

That wasn't the implication. It was that the left generally has disdain for Walmart. Do you really think that is debatable?

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 19, 2014, 03:52:18 PM
Nevermind that, in one recent poll, 73% of Americans said they favor raising the federal minimum wage.

Surely you're not suggesting we use public opinion polls to determine economic policy and other such matters on which the public may not be qualified to opine? 62% of the country supported invading Iraq in 2002 (even more amazing is that a plurality believe we should actually go back). Japanese internment was wildly popular after Pearl Harbor. Shit, I think I remember seeing a majority supported Gramm-Leach-Bliley (i.e. repeal of Glass-Steagall) when it passed (having trouble verifying that now though).

I'm not saying there's not arguments for raising the minimum wage (although as you would imagine, I would take issue with those arguments), I'm saying the public supporting should not be one of them.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Yes, everyone knows lefties hate Walmart and its wage practices. But that line in the article would be like saying "Ike Turner, a man who has come under fire from abused women who believe he shouldn't abuse women." Meaning, you don't have to be a "leftist" to wish Walmart workers made more money, as can be illustrated by various polls on who supports raising the minimum wage.

Framing it as a "leftist" issue diminishes and marginalizes the viewpoint and conveniently invites non-leftists readers to take up the opposite side of the argument.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

I agree it's intended to be a pejorative term. Kinda like how the media uses "tea party" to connote crazy person.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

emay

wow

this might be (IS ) too far

sls.stormyrider

might be?

I would say that it's an insult to anyone who's ever suffered from depression
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

antelope19

Might be? What a prick! Unbelievable....
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

fixed my post.

but for real, this dude should get fired.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

VDB

Jeez, Shep.  :shakehead:

Obviously uncalled for. I guess he has since apologized but how do you even let yourself say that in the first place?

I'd love to hear Shep Smith and news anchors in general save that kind of accusation for, I dunno, maybe cops who shoot and kill unarmed people or maim toddlers. If that's not cowardice it's at least sure as shit not bravery.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

So, I kind of get what Shep was going for. I don't condone it or agree with it in the least (like sls said, it's an affront to anyone who's suffered from serious depression), but I get that there is the view that suicide is "the coward's way out." I don't think it was a personal insult at Williams, I think he was just alluding to that misguided notion. Still, terrible phrasing and he was right to apologize for it.

However, that comment pales in comparison to what the Grand Imperial Dooshbag said. It's so ridiculous that even the ultra-conservative Washington Times is like, "Whoa, dude." Granted, Rush gets paid to make comments like these, but good god what a dick.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams-killed-himself-due-le/

Rush Limbaugh: Robin Williams killed himself due to 'leftist world view'

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh argued Tuesday that Robin Williams committed suicide because of his "leftist world view."

"What is the left's world view in general?" Mr. Limbaugh asked listeners. "If you had to attach, not a philosophy, but an attitude to a leftist world view. It's one of pessimism, and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they?"

Mr. Williams' body was found in the seated position after he hanged himself using a belt at his California home Monday. Marin County police said the actor died from "asphyxia due to hanging."

Mr. Limbaugh pointed to a Fox News report that said Mr. Williams had struggled with financial issues and embarrassment from having to take TV roles after a sterling movie career.

"[Liberals] are animated in large part by the false promises of America, because the promises of America are not for everyone," he said. "He had it all, but he had nothing. Made everybody else laugh, but was miserable inside. It fits a certain picture or a certain image that the left has. [I'm] talking about low expectations and general unhappiness."

Fox News reported Mr. Williams suffered from "survivor's guilt" after the deaths of Christopher Reeve, Andy Kaufman and John Belushi.

"Robin Williams felt guilty that he was still alive while his three friends had died young, and much earlier than he had," Mr. Limbaugh said. "He could never get over the guilt that they died and he didn't. Well, that is a constant measurement that is made by political leftists in judging the country."

Slate reported Tuesday that Mr. Williams' political ideology "was always liberal, in the general sense that Hollywood is liberal."

Over the years the Oscar-winning actor donated tens of thousands of dollars to Democratic candidates, including Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer and Al Franken.