News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Wilco Riviera Theatre Run

Started by mattstick, February 16, 2008, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune:

Wilco opened its five-night residency Friday at the Riviera with a 2 ½-hour set (plus intermission) in which they performed 31 songs. By the time the residency concludes Wednesday, the sextet vows to play every song from its five studio albums. Also figuring in the mixes will be tracks from two "Mermaid Avenue" collaborations with Billy Bragg on the lyrics of Woody Guthrie, and assorted rarities.

Friday's set ranged across the band's 13-year career, but it skewed toward Wilco's latest album, "Sky Blue Sky" (2007), while barely touching on the first, "A.M." (1995). The buried treasures included "When the Roses Bloom Again," an outtake from the "Mermaid Avenue" sessions, and an unreleased "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" track, "Cars Can't Escape."

Here's a rundown of Friday's set:

1. "ELT": A twangy uptempo rocker from "Summerteeth" (1999) with John Stirratt's exuberant high harmonies amping up the excitement.

2. "A Shot in the Arm": Glenn Kotche flails away on drums, and Mikael Jorgensen sweeps his palms across the keyboards during the chaotic finale.

3. "Side With the Seeds": Nels Cline brings it all home with an animated guitar solo.

4. "You are my Face": Lovely three-part harmonies from Jeff Tweedy, Pat Sansone and Stirratt.

5. "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart": Gospel piano chords break out in the middle of the cacophony, and it's a grand moment.

6. "Pot Kettle Black": A lean groove, sometimes carried by no more than castanets.

7. "At Least That's What You Said": Two songs in one, a quiet meditation leading to a maniacal Cline-Tweedy guitar faceoff.

8. "What's the World Got in Store": Sleepy time arrives with Sansone on banjo on this so-so "Being There" (1997) track.

9. "When the Roses Bloom Again": Cline on lap steel and Tweedy on 12-string acoustic for this gorgeous country hymn.

10.  "Airline to Heaven": A hootenanny breaks out on this "Mermaid Avenue Vol. II" rabble-rouser.

11. "Ashes of American Flags": Cline turns an unassuming guitar figure into another bonfire. Yes, the man can play.

12. "Either Way": Gentle optimism provides a breather.

13. "Jesus, etc.":  Kotche deftly supplies a light touch.

14. "Too Far Apart": Finally, a track from "A.M.," and Tweedy breaks into falsetto. "This is my 'American Idol' audition," he jokes.

15. "Can't Stand It": Joined by a three-piece horn section, the band injects some Memphis soul into this "Summerteeth" track.

16. "Sunken Treasure": Rich keyboard atmospherics from Jorgensen and Sansone, while Tweedy testifies, "I was saved by rock 'n' roll."

17. "Spiders (Kidsmoke)": Trance groove with undulating keyboards and heavy metal guitar chords.

Intermission

18. "Misunderstood": Kotche brings the sticks down like bricks to punctuate Tweedy's declaration of "I want to thank you all for nothin', nothin' at all."

19. "Far, Far Away": A peaceful, easy feeling set on a CTA ride.

20. "Why Would You Wanna Live": Static beat makes this the night's dullest song.

21. "Impossible Germany": Song picks up steam when Cline goes to work against the doubled counterpoint lines of Tweedy and Sansone.

22. "Sky Blue Sky": Kotche coaxes this one along on brushes, but the show starts to drag.

23. "Please Be Patient With Me": Poor pacing continues with yet another quiet plea.

24. "Cars Can't Escape": A rich kaleidoscopic pop song that evokes the "Revolver"-era Beatles.

25. "Hummingbird": Crowd sings along, accompanied by Jorgensen's jaunty electric piano.

Encore

26. "Hate it Here": Tweedy pleads like a soul singer. "What am I, what am I gonna do." Van Morrison would be proud.

27. "Walken": The horns return for this Southern boogie homage to Little Feat.

28. "I'm the Man Who Loves You": Tweedy brings the noise on guitar.

29. "Heavy Metal Drummer":  Even in mid-February, this feels like a cool breeze on a humid summer afternoon.

30.  "Candyfloss": A hidden track on "Summerteeth," it still sounds like a lost new-wave hit worthy of Elvis Costello or Nick Lowe.

31. "Outtasite (Outta Mind)": Cline chops out a rhythmic guitar line, and Stirratt starts jumping in time to the beat. An exuberant good night.

Please return here tomorrow for a look at Saturday's show. Starting Tuesday, reviews each morning from the last three nights will appear at chicagotribune.com/music.

greg@gregkot.com