News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What is a tracker exactly???

Started by disco, May 04, 2008, 10:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disco

If LL can have one why can't we? I assume this would cost money or we'd have one already....just curious about this.
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

nab

I'm curious about this as well.

disco

hopefully we don't turn into cats or we're in trouble  :-o

www.week4paug.net

time phactory

Why doesn't week4paug use Google Adsense to generate a little extra revenue?

I think it'd be a good idea, unless the ads would be too annoying or something.

They'd probably all be music related.

nab

Quote from: Al B. Kirk on May 04, 2008, 11:58:46 PM

I think it'd be a good idea, unless the ads would be too annoying or something.

They'd probably all be music related.

We don't need to, thats what the donate button is for, use it and we won't ever need to.

time phactory

What's an average donation?  Ballpark.

$5 ?
$20 ?
$100 ?

nab

Quote from: Al B. Kirk on May 05, 2008, 12:06:23 AM

$5 ?
$20 ?
$100 ?

Whatever, whenever.

Its a donation, given of your own free will and no one else's business.

Plus you get +k in the dollar amount if you tell tet about it if thats important to you.

tet

$5 ?
$20 ?
$100 ?

the average we get is about $10,000.  if you give less, we all laugh at you in our secret forums.   :evil:

Quote from: disco on May 04, 2008, 10:23:00 PM
If LL can have one why can't we? I assume this would cost money or we'd have one already....just curious about this.

why would we want our own tracker?  it just dilutes the music trading pool...  already LL and bt.etree do that, in my opinion.  BTs work best with everyone on the same tracker (more peers = more gooder), so creating our own would be kinda detrimental (emphasis on MENTAL) to the community.

Quote from: Al B. Kirk on May 04, 2008, 11:58:46 PM

ads are distracting, and also i don't think we're allowed to be involved in Phish/GD trading and take any sort of income via ads.  i could be wrong about that, however...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

nab

Quote from: tet on May 05, 2008, 08:47:53 AM

why would we want our own tracker?  it just dilutes the music trading pool...  already LL and bt.etree do that, in my opinion.  BTs work best with everyone on the same tracker (more peers = more gooder), so creating our own would be kinda detrimental (emphasis on MENTAL) to the community.

I agree, but I must admit that I was starting to think along disco's lines when the db and bt went down this weekend.

Mr Minor

$5 ?
$20 ?
$100 ?

the average we get is about $10,000.  if you give less, we all laugh at you in our secret forums.   :evil:

I knew it...

disco

Quote from: disco on May 04, 2008, 10:23:00 PM

.........so we could have our own tracker if etree crapped out? That was what sparked the question in the first place.

www.week4paug.net

Hicks

I'm pretty sure guyforget had his own tracker at some point, he might be able to fill you in a bit better on how it works. . .
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jephrey

azureus has the feature to do that.  I had my own working for a bit.

What it is exactly?  I'm sure wikipedia knows.

I always got the feeling that it tracked connections on torrents?
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

a tracker, is just that, a tracker - of peers.  when you download a .torrent file from a tracker (or its related website), you then instruct your BT program (Azureus, Transmission, uTorrent, etc) to contact the server the file was created from (= the tracker), saying "hi, i'm a new peer!  i want to download this file, where are the other peers?"  and the tracker goes: "look over at dem fools, mo-fo.  by the way, i'll also tell you how much they've uploaded and downloaded of these files, which parts of which files are completed and verified, and do they haz firewall.", and the BT client is like: "oh, ok!  thank you kind sir!" - and then proceeds to contact each and every one of the peers asking for the files.

and every so often, the tracker goes: "yo dog, how u stylin?", and your BT client says: "chillin."  and the tracker goes: "cool bro"

ya dig?
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

disco

www.week4paug.net