News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W14: 12-01-1994 Salem Armory, Salem, OR

Started by sophist, August 14, 2006, 08:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

i got this show when LP first put it up.
great stuff, love the second set.
i was just asking in another thread about the makisupa.
it's played in a minor key which normally it isn't.
gives it a very different vibe i like a lot.
spookier.

best wishes, phan. that's never easy. take care.

Alumni

Quote from: susep73 on August 15, 2006, 07:08:54 PM

Great show in a period of many great shows>quite a difference between June/July and Fall '94>pHISh was playing off the hook, taking big risks but coming up successful(see this Melt). 

Grade: solid A-

Not sure what to make of this. Are you implying phish wasn't playing off the hook earlier in '94 (borderline smite-worthy imo  :-P :wink: ) or that they were taking more chances in November 94 (12.1 is an honorary November 94 show as I hear it )than they did from Apirl-July of that year (which I would absolutely agree with)
Cause I got a degree

susep

Quote from: AlumniGreens on August 16, 2006, 07:10:08 AM
or that they were taking more chances in November 94 (12.1 is an honorary November 94 show as I hear it )than they did from Apirl-July of that year (which I would absolutely agree with)

there you go :mrgreen:

Alumni

okay - I get it now. I was just curious there. Didn't *really* start seeing shows until 95, but I koves me my 94 . . . when I really got on board. So I'm prolly a little sensitive  :-D

edit: back on subject . . . anyone have an mp3, or aac fileset from itunes that they can sendspace? I'm not keen on buying this show from LP *again* and the hard drive with my LP downloads is already in NC. About 10 days ahead of me :(
Cause I got a degree

jephrey

Aug posted them earlier in this thread!

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Alumni

Oops.  :oops:
I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to reading back in threads - thanks for the heads up!
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

i love this show!

Sample-UPenn-Trey was really rippin' during this UPenn.he was really fluid throughout.
probably my fav bluegrass tune by the fish.

FeFy>Maze-really well played fefy.sounded very quiet and inspired.the maze was great.trey was laying down some low frequencies underneath page's solo section.probably one of the only maze's where i liked page's solo better than Trey's.

Guyute-IDK-old arrangment of guyute.very well played.

Split-i love this split!they waste zero time getting into the "evils".awesome work by page on the piano.really just a sick version.

Adeline/Peaches-Mound-gotta love the peaches opener!peaches and mound...2 songs i never got to see...oh well

Tweezer-definitely a legendary version.almost too hard to describe why it is so cool.of course, there is the trippy "start/stop" measures going on in the middle, but so much more going on.was a pleasure to hear this one again.>

BBFCFM-love the jam out of this...some more "evils">

Makisupa-almost sounds like Cannonball at first.cool minor key version>

NICU-cool segue into this with a cool major key outro going on>

Tweezer-Jesus-jesus is another one i never got to see (damn jedi!).and again, i prefer page's solo to Trey's on this one.my brother hated this song with a passion.
thats why we dont talk anymore...the last verse after trey's solo is quite funny.page sounds like Kermit!>

Hood-the jam stayed really quiet and focused for a LONG time, which i liked.nice, little %sky tease towards the end.

Golgi-Monkey-Rep.-nice solid closers.

classic show that deserves an A!
a

Hoo

susep

Quote from: AlumniGreens on August 16, 2006, 08:37:24 AM
okay - I get it now. I was just curious there. Didn't *really* start seeing shows until 95, but I koves me my 94 . . . when I really got on board. So I'm prolly a little sensitive  :-D

Same here, I spent the Fall of '93 in PAX, OR. and came back east for Spring semester '94.  A good friend and I spent a lot of time getting baked in her room, she had seen  :phish: bunches by then.  She knew I was a big Jimi Hendrix freak yet hadn't heard her fav. band.  She had just received a copy of 30Dec.93 and made me listen, from the first few notes I became involved.  Later on that Fall the 2Nov. Halley's>Tweezer solidified my interest.

birdman

First time listening to set I from this epic night. Not unbelievable but certainly a few noteworthy moments.
  Not real found of the opening trio this night. All the songs are well played, but it feels like they took some time finding the right vibe.
Obviously they found it during the Maze. Nice, dark version, lots of heavy, thick texture in the jam. Kind of scarry.
Guyute...Love these earliy versions. Never did like the whistling.
IDK...provides some comic relief.
Melt...Picks up where Maze left off. Again, lots of tension. Love how thick these jams get...definately not 97 with lots of space...makes it difficult to dance to and makes you want to pull the hair out of your head. The tension is so...nervewracking. I like the way they bring it together cleanly towards the end and wrap it up tight as a nut.
Adeline...

I really enjoyed the Maze and Split from this set. I just go nuts for these chaotic 94 jams...food for the soul.
Jedi, I understand why you were like  :-o. Couldnt pick a better first show  :beers:
Paug FTMFW!

sls.stormyrider

Great Show!!
Set 1
Sample - really like this song. strong, upbeat starter
Uncle Pen - continues the mood
FEFY-introspective lyrics; the instrumental puts an optimistic, positive spin
Maze - tight
Guyute - never a fan of this
IDK - fun
Split - finally a jam. really gets going around 7:30, T-R 10:30. Love 94 splits
Sw Adeline

Set 2
all I could think of during this set is how unbelievably locked in they were. Classic.
Peaches-great opener
Mound-more fun
Tweezer - top 5, exploratory, amazing. One brain, 4 instruments. Loved the NW jam; just killer
BBFCM-one of my favorite versions
MP-minor key mentioned, also cool vocal phrasing
NICU-nice transition with great ending >Tweeprise tease
JLC-yessss
Hood-again, the mental synchrony is mind boggling
golgi-good
monkey>Tweeprise-what a set-I'm exhausted  :-)
A
thanks phan, and best wishes
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

petert686

This show definitely gets an A. This is my first time hearing this show and I can't stop listening too it. Highlights for me are the Melt in Set I and all of Set II.

Set I
Uncle Pen - my favorite bluegrass tune Phish plays
FEFY - good Trey solo
Maze - GREAT page solo
Melt - totally sick and scary and out there and insane

Set II
Peaches - who doesn't love hearing this tune?
Mound - always liked this song this one is no exception
Tweezer - oh man!!! amazing version. i can't get enough of it. the start stop near the end before the N.Wood jam is awesome. With all the crazyness going on. Absolutely incredible to think that 4 guys can be making all that music. On the fly no less.
NICU - loved the segue into this one
JLC - WOW, sometimes this song just rips and this version sure does

Alumni

Busy week - I'll be short. My condolences to you, Phan, and best wishes. Thanks for getting the sets sendspaced, aug.

not much original for me to mention. I'm hanging on the A/A- edge this week. Mostly because of the distance between the two sets. FWhateverIW, If I lost balance, I'd probably fall on the A side.  :-)

The first has some really well played tunes, but no more so than a ton of other first sets in 94, in all honesty. On the other hand, 94 in general isn't really a year for epic opening sets -- the ones that really stand out - to me - really are the exceptions to the rule. And I should add that I'd have described this one differently a decade ago, when guyute was still a rare and special treat :)

And the 2nd set is just sublime - one of the tour's best. What more to say about it? Beautiful flow. Transitions are bona fide segues, none of that hopelessly optimistic ">" stuff, it's "->" all the way 8-) The only ingredient in the Tweezer sandwich that I'm not usually a big fan of is NICU. But it's worked into the set so well that I just can't help but smile when I recognize it.

Thanks for picking a kick-ass set to represent fall 94, phan. Really hit the spot  :beers:
Cause I got a degree

petert686

hey jedi....

you said this was your first show, i was just wondering if you had listened to any phish before going to this show or was this the first time you even heard the boys?

sophist

thanks for the support everyone.  I'll have my review up tomorrow. 
this is such a wonderful community.  mad props to all (especially aug for the lossy upload- thanks again)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!