News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Paug 2.0 - Please report bugs / errors / issues w/ new server here

Started by guyforget, June 03, 2011, 04:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 18, 2012, 02:56:28 PM
Just hit a ridiculous slowdown a few minutes ago...

When the dust settled we had 22 spiders (mostly Baidu) and only 15 users online.

WTF.

Maybe it's time to ban the chinese arachnids.

Yeah there have been times over the last couple weeks where the site is virtually unusable.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 18, 2012, 02:56:28 PM
Just hit a ridiculous slowdown a few minutes ago...

When the dust settled we had 22 spiders (mostly Baidu) and only 15 users online.

WTF.

Maybe it's time to ban the chinese arachnids.

Drop the hammer!  :samurai:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

blatboom

is Allen or Tet aware of this slowness issue?  I know neither of them are around much these days but the board is almost unusable when it's like this  :-(

tet

Quote from: blatboom on April 21, 2012, 04:14:23 PM
is Allen or Tet aware of this slowness issue?  I know neither of them are around much these days but the board is almost unusable when it's like this  :-(

we are certainly aware, been meaning to post on it but honestly i don't have much information, or good news...  for numerous reasons, but mainly cost, we moved to a shared host nearly a year ago, meaning that our website is being run from a server that hosts many other websites & services.  when the overall usage is low, everything is nice and fast, but as the load of the server increases, which would happen because of the other sites on this same box, they use up horsepower, leaving little remaining for us and therefore grinding our site to a halt.  there's not a whole lot we can do about it other than bitch & complain to the hosting company, and they don't really care because we're not paying for anything more than a website that should eventually load.  previously, we were on a dedicated box, which was just for US to use/abuse as we liked - we had this because we used to run FurthurNet, bt, and FTP from there.  however, the costs were astronomical, and the only way to keep the 'paug alive was to bring down the costs of the hosting.  we did a lot of research and settled on a reliable and affordable host, and generally have been happy with them, but the slowdowns are definitely an issue we'll continue to press them...

sorry, but as i said, i didn't really have any good news, other than we're aware and will do what we can.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

blatboom

makes sense. thanks for the reply and everything else  :-)

mistercharlie

Quote from: blatboom on April 23, 2012, 09:14:23 AM

Yes. Thanks for all you guys do to keep this place up and running.  :beers:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gah

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 23, 2012, 09:31:51 AM
Quote from: blatboom on April 23, 2012, 09:14:23 AM

Yes. Thanks for all you guys do to keep this place up and running.  :beers:

What he said! You guys are the best!   :beers:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

tet

we had some downtime today as we had our host switch us to a new box which hopefully will be less crowded and keep the speeds up a bit more.  so far, everything seems to be working as expected, but please let us know if you notice anything particularly weird happening. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!