News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Audio Questions

Started by walfredo10, November 12, 2009, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walfredo10

I am looking to upgrade my audio system (right now I am very lo-tech only listening through my computer speakers..I know I know).  I am looking to spend between $500-$1000 and will use it mostly for my live show collection (would like to start growing my 24 bit collection) which is stored on my hard drive. 

I guess I have two questions

1. Any advice on what to look for in a system and any recommendations?

2.  What is the best way to listen to music that is stored on a hard drive to this new system without losing sound quality?  Burn to CD/DVD?

Thanks

mattstick

Mac Mini or Macbook >
24/96 USB Audio Device >
Optical or digi out >
heady reciever >
Gorgeous speakers

Gonna cost you more than $1000

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

walfredo10

Quote from: mattstick on November 12, 2009, 11:23:50 AM
Mac Mini or Macbook >
24/96 USB Audio Device >
Optical or digi out >
heady reciever >
Gorgeous speakers

Does it need to be a Mac or would a Windows machine work?

rowjimmy

Quote from: walfredo10 on November 12, 2009, 11:56:17 AM
Quote from: mattstick on November 12, 2009, 11:23:50 AM
Mac Mini or Macbook >
24/96 USB Audio Device >
Optical or digi out >
heady reciever >
Gorgeous speakers

Does it need to be a Mac or would a Windows machine work?

there is this:
http://gizmodo.com/5403000/dell-zino-hd-260-mini-home-theater-pc

mattstick

I suppose a Windows machine would work.  Not my preference though.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on November 12, 2009, 12:04:11 PM

I suppose a Windows machine would work.  Not my preference though.

Nor mine but... that one can come with blu-ray.

mattstick

Fair enough, I don't use any disc-based media so it's never been an obstacle.

postjack

have you considered a headphone based rig? you can often get better fidelity for less coin using headphones. you can also spend a stupid amount of money though. to me the biggest benefit of headphones is not having to deal with room acoustics. but with 'phones you lose out on soundstage and visceral impact.

regardless of whether you go speakers or cans it sounds like a computer based rig is in your best interest, especially if 24/96 is a priority.  you'll need a high quality DAC or CDP with digital input and some sort of transport, like a soundcard with a coax/optical out, or even better a Squeezebox.  The new Squeezebox Touch can stream 24/96 over wifi.

You can saves oodles of cash buying used.  www.audiogon.com is a great site.  and www.head-case.org is an awesome general audio community.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

CRAZYED

I have an 2 year old squeezebox and it's a very nice device.  Flac or mp3 playback over wifi, ability to browse archive.org.  You still need a receiver/amp of some sort, and you still need to spend some cash on speakers.

However yesterday i picked up a mac mini, should be delivered today and i'll be using it with Plex Media Center.  I'm more into a full audio/video solution, and the squeezebox does audio only.

My recommendation is save your money and buy good shit when you can afford it.  If you want a quality system, dont skimp, you get what you pay for.  probably 5-6 years ago I spent a crapload of money on some really nice Klipsch speakers that will last a long, long time, probably a lifetime.  Speaker technology doesn't change as fast as things like receivers and amplifiers with all the new crap coming out.  I used an older reciever for the longest time and then 3 years ago i upgraded to a nice onkyo.   I'll probably upgrade that again in another 2-3-4 years.  My speakers will stay the same, they are the foundation of my home theatre / playback system.  The rests of the pieces are constantly evolving and getting upgraded.   Latest upgrade is trade out my dvd player / cd player for a mac mini.......and go media-less.

Marmar

jesus.....

Dude....if you got everything on HDD, go get yourself a PROFESSIONAL QUALITY sound card......Spend $200.....now go buy an a/v reciever......another $300.....get a set of speakers off craigslist or somethin and call it a day....

that's the cheapest HQ rig you can get without dropping MAD loot on tons of shit you'll prolly never need.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

kellerb

Quote from: Marmar on November 14, 2009, 08:14:17 PM
jesus.....

Dude....if you got everything on HDD, go get yourself a PROFESSIONAL QUALITY sound card......Spend $200.....now go buy an a/v reciever......another $300.....get a set of speakers off craigslist or somethin and call it a day....

that's the cheapest HQ rig you can get without dropping MAD loot on tons of shit you'll prolly never need.....

I'm kind of clueless about good soundcards.  Can anyone comment on A.  what are some good brands/cards/specifics and B.  the input/outputs that I should be paying attention to?  I'm looking to slowly create a decent audio system, and it will be largely fed via the computer.

postjack

i'm a bit confused by the strong recommendation for a quality sound card.  Are we suggesting he use the DAC in the soundcard?  Or simply use the soundcard as a digital transport? Personally I think relying on a soundcard based DAC is a bad idea.  The soundcard (or squeezebox) should act as a transport to get the signal out to a standalone DAC, and if I had to put a price range on the DAC I'd say ~$1,000. 

EDIT: i realize a grand is out of the OPs price range, but I'm thinking retail.  There are loads of neat DACs in the sub $1,000 range used.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Superfreakie

Quote from: postjack on November 15, 2009, 01:42:57 AM
i'm a bit confused by the strong recommendation for a quality sound card.  Are we suggesting he use the DAC in the soundcard?  Or simply use the soundcard as a digital transport? Personally I think relying on a soundcard based DAC is a bad idea.  The soundcard (or squeezebox) should act as a transport to get the signal out to a standalone DAC, and if I had to put a price range on the DAC I'd say ~$1,000. 

EDIT: i realize a grand is out of the OPs price range, but I'm thinking retail.  There are loads of neat DACs in the sub $1,000 range used.

Looking at his budget, and him wanting immediate enjoyment instead of slowly collecting parts and assembling a rig, Marmar's recommendation is what I think he's looking for. However, with an expanded budget, I'm with postjack, I'd go with an external DAC over using a straight soundcard. In my own personal situation, I dropped mad loot on a ton of shit I never use  :wink:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Marmar

My soundcard's DAC and ADC are 1000x's more accurate than 99% of the crap you'll find in the retail area.....

I mean seriously....If you do it right, you'll have a rig that would rival my McIntosh rig that I use for post-mastering playback.....My soundcard was $400 at the time of purchase......my McIntosh rig is well over $50,000.....take your pick....the soundcard is the size of a wallet, the McIntosh rig takes up square footage....

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.