News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Music DVD You Watched?

Started by mopper_smurf, October 28, 2008, 10:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

Quote from: Mr. Natural on February 10, 2012, 10:38:25 PM

I've been listening to their albums chronologically since we watched it. I'm up to MOVING PICTURES. I've listened to it, but haven't read the lyrics along with it yet - which totally blew me away on HEMISPHERES.

IMO, you're just getting into the good stuff...  Waves thru Fire are fantastic IMO... 

Ahh...  High school...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Mr. Natural

Kenny played on a few tracks on Tony Iommi's solo album and he sounded awesome.  :clap:
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Mr. Natural

I just put in for SIGNALS, but somehow I picked up a Frank Zappa bug and now I'm exploring a whole bunch of his shit, too.
This was pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33F_AlVTBgY
"There is no progress without deviation." Isn't that somebody's tagline on here?

Mr. Natural

I was a little suspicious when I found out Jack made this. I thought of a reviewer who warned that PJ:20 was "band-approved," insinuating that it would be a heavily-biased shine-job*.
While not much of the story is new, Jack is able to get his older sister on camera (Aimee, who wisely skipped out on the MTV show), as well as his half-siblings from Ozzy's previous marriage. It is different to hear about all the wild behavior from a family angle.
The two parts which stood out the most are [Blizzard of Ozz bassist] Rudy Sarzo talk about the immediate aftermath of Randy Rhoad's death; and watching bashing beauty Mike Bordin play drums on MR. CROWLEY live in New Zealand.

* I haven't seen PJ:20 yet, but am stoked to do so. I have it in from the library and am very ready to take a trip back to my senior year when we played TEN non-stop. I might have to wear long-johns under my shorts for this one. I'm on spring break this week, so holla at a pdx dog if you want to watch it.

Mr. Natural

Granted, the person I watched this with is not a fan of either the band or the album; but of what I remember, there was very little about the actual making of ACHTUNG BABY. I expected to hear about composing songs, recording songs, performing songs; and I really hoped they would talk about how this album split their fan base so decisively when it came out. It wasn't like "They're too old and can't hack it anymore." It was more like "This is not U2. Why the fuck would they try to sound like ... whatever this is?!" That was half of their fans. The other half of us said "I don't know what it is, but I love it."
For starters, there is very little about songwriting or song-morphing. Bono does about 90% of the narration and almost all of it is super self-absorbed accounts of his own identity crisis (not that of the band as a whole). Being Bono, this is not a surprise. And while lines like "I feel sorry for the rest of the band for having to deal with my intensity" can provoke a good sharp laugh, 90 minutes of them turned into quite a letdown. Maybe I'll try watching it again. It was a pretty  :beers: :smoke: hazy evening, so maybe I missed some of the RhinoClassicAlbumSeries moments. I love those. (Watched DISRAELI GEARS and the beginning of NUMBER OF THE BEAST last weekend on Netflix. awesome.)
However, I was left with a hankering for A DAY WITHOUT ME. I'm not too good with lyrics, but I think the opening line is "started a landslide, in my ego" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF1rqJ40YyU

mopper_smurf

Led Zeppelin: DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_%28DVD%29

Great footage of Bonzo doing Moby Dick at the Royal Albert Hall  :rawk:  :rawk:
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

khalpin

Quote from: mopper_smurf on May 25, 2012, 08:23:13 AM

Led Zeppelin: DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_%28DVD%29

Great footage of Bonzo doing Moby Dick at the Royal Albert Hall  :rawk:  :rawk:
Those DVDs are amazing.  Disc One doesn't get much rotation for me, as I tend to get tired of Communication Breakdown and Dazed and Confused being on there like 5 times each.  The second disc is pretty unreal.  Robert Plant's stage presence is pretty awe inspiring. 

gah

Louis Armstrong: Greatest Performances - pretty decent clips of performances spanning 30+ years.

Bob Marley: Live at the Rainbow - great show! The interviews in the bonus material were pretty meh, but still, the full concert footage is worth the watch

Nina Simone: Live at Ronnie Scott's in London (1984) - SICK! MUST SEE! SHE's A Genius! And the interview material in between songs is phenomenal. I enjoyed her before, but that was simply based on her music and performances that I'd seen/heard, but hearing her talk about music and life was big time in pushing me over to full on fan. This is how it starts:

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mopper_smurf

Dear Mr. Fantasy - A Celebration for Jim Capaldi

Found it a my local library. It sucked, except for the Pete Towshend bit.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Mr. Natural

^^ Yeah, that Nina Simone footage was killer. It's always nice when the wife & I can get blown away by the same footage.

I can't help it. I love the lot. I love footage filmed in the lot. This one has no narration, just pretty decently edited interviews - mostly from within the lot. David Gans chimes in, so does Weir, along with a few other 'experts' (read old-timers, who do not wear their hair in locks). It's decidedly all white kids, but they run the gamut from partied-out wooks to clean-living spiritualists. Overall, a good amount of "nice!" peppered with a couple of {cringe}.

I was so fuckin' stoked to watch this. I love the post-RAW POWER Stooges, Lou Reed is always an interesting cat, and Bowie is ... well, whatever you want him to be. Turns out that this doc is a total snooze-fest. Twenty minutes on the Velvet Underground's back story. A couple new-ish facts, but so far nothing hair-raising. I was falling asleep about an hour in, so I still have to finish it. I have a feeling it will pick up as they all sort of settle in to their respective, newly-found approaches - TRANSFORMER/ZIGGY/THE IDIOT. This doc is mostly talking heads (Angie Bowie being the only interesting one - sorry, Danny Fields) interspersed with official videos for the songs. I have to admit, I had no idea how many false starts Bowie's career had accumulated by this point. Way to stick with it, hoss.

PIE-GUY

doesn't really count because it was not a DVD, but My Morning Jacket's Red Rocks show a couple of weeks back was broadcast live on the channel that used to be HDNET or Palladia, or something. Anyway, it took me a couple of weeks to get through the whole show. It was 3 and a half hours long with no set break... and they killed it the entire time. Amazing show start to finish.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Paid two Euros for it. That's about right for this one.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Mr. Natural

Quote from: mopper_smurf on August 20, 2012, 02:04:15 PM

The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Paid two Euros for it. That's about right for this one.

I was in middle school at the heght of my Doors-worship when this came out. Rolling Stone magazine was all about promo (I still have their full-page ad on the wall in my old bedroom in my parents' house). My best friend got it for his birthday that year and we were pretty quiet during the whole thing. When it was done, I didn't know how I felt - because I didn't know the word 'underwhelmed,' yet. That Stephen (HAMMER OF THE GODS) Davis bio tells about Mick Jaggar flying in to see the show. He was entering his Mephistopheles stage and had heard about Morrison having a pretty tight handle on the EvilOnstagePersona thing. Not only did JM not deliver that night, but MJ was seated front & center - right next to JM's wife. Some claim she was on Jagger's lap at some points. Regardless, how sexy a beat can a guy get into knowing it's only going to push his wife into fixating on the sex-symbol-with-an-accent right next to her?  Apparently, Jagger walked away having felt like he wasted his time. 

mopper_smurf

John Cale
Live at the Malmö Opera, Malmö, Sweden - November 21, 2011. With The Malmö Operaorkester conducted by Joakim Hallin.

Performs Paris 1919 live in its entirety. The show was filmed by Swedish TV (SVT, Channel 2) and was broadcasted on March 24, 2012 (full album + Captain Hook and Hedda Gabler).

The band:
John Cale: vocals, guitar, keyboards
Dustin Boyer: lead guitar
Michael Jerome: drums
Joey Maramba: bass

Setlist

Hanky Panky Nohow (rehearsal - excerpt)
    interview (in English, with Swedish subtitles & short rehearsal bit of Paris 1919)
    Child's Christmas in Wales
    Hanky Panky Nohow
    The Endless Plain of Fortune
    Andalucia
    Paris 1919
    Graham Greene
    Half Past France
    interview
    Antarctica Starts Here
    Macbeth
    interview
    Captain Hook
    Hedda Gabler
Twitter | FB | Instagram

CrazyDave

(~);}