News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R12/W04: 11-23-1997 Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Winston Salem, NC

Started by whatapiper, July 18, 2011, 04:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

If we got a show even close to as good as this now every person here would be all  :wtu: :wtu: :wtu: and I'd prolly die of a heart attack or something
Bring in the dude!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: whatapiper on July 26, 2011, 04:12:12 PM
Definitely underrated, if we got this show now on a Sunday(or any day) this board would be blowing up.   Smooth Funk Butta

There's no doubt a show like this would be well received today, but in the context of Fall '97 (which, unlike RJ, I do think is all dat), it came off a little flat to me. And I just don't think it's fair to compare any show from 1.0 to the best 3.0 show. I mean, I struck out my 5 yr old nephew on 3 pitches the other day, doesn't mean I'll be getting called up to the bigs any time soon.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sophist

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 26, 2011, 04:39:02 PM
Definitely underrated, if we got this show now on a Sunday(or any day) this board would be blowing up.   Smooth Funk Butta

There's no doubt a show like this would be well received today, but in the context of Fall '97 (which, unlike RJ, I do think is all dat), it came off a little flat to me. And I just don't think it's fair to compare any show from 1.0 to the best 3.0 show. I mean, I struck out my 5 yr old nephew on 3 pitches the other day, doesn't mean I'll be getting called up to the bigs any time soon.
but you will be getting uncle of the year for showing him to leave sports to the minorities. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: sophist on July 26, 2011, 04:47:33 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 26, 2011, 04:39:02 PM

but you will be getting uncle of the year for showing him to leave sports to the minorities.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I had to walk away from my desk I was laughing so hard
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

G. Augusto

Meh Soul - Don't really mind this tune in any slot. Page goes to the grand to start his solo then quickly turns to the keyboard. 

Theme - OK composed section with a great jam. Late '97 was a great time for Theme. 

BEK - Like I said, one of my all-time favorite Phish jams. This one settles in nicely right from the beginning of the jam. What I like so much about this funk is how ominous it sounds. You know the jam is going somewhere, but they take the darkest possible road to get there, thanks mostly to Mike. I have to CRANK this every time. 

Sparkle - Needed breather. 

Twist - Mellow jam that hits on a nice theme for the last 2 minutes. More darkness. 

Stash - Decent composed sections. Typical Stash jam for the 1st 10 minutes. Stash was another tune that '97 treated well. I like that this one doesn't peak. You expect it, so it leaves you uneasy. Queue the droning trippiness and you're fucked. Trey and Page space out and then Trey plays some leads one octave higher than usual. Double fakeout into >>>

NICU - Brings you back to reality. 

Fluff - Only version of the Tour and 1 of only 5 from the year. Composed sections go from really impressive to really off each minute. 

Zero - Pretty good closer but comes nowhere near the version from the very next next show. 

Gin - Hadn't opened a second set since 12-30-1989. Miss Page's big solos in the intro. Typical Gin the first 12 in. Then the Aimless Wah Leads start. Gets chunky around the 13 min mark > AWL. Fish speeds it up only to get some more AWL. Just kept wanting this wankery to end. Trey starts up an earlier idea with 5 minutes left. Spaces out gently with some really nice Fish work >>>

DWD -  Super fast. Typical RaWk stuff for the first 9 minutes which leads to some CYHMK. Really loses focus as Page tries to resurrect this with some excellent Grand work. >>>

Rider - Trying to salvage this set. The funk jam after this is pretty cool, but 3 minutes of Fall funk ain't gonna save this one. OK segue >>>

DWD - Fish speeds it up as they go back into the jam briefly before they close it down. 

Axis - Trey is pretty shaky with his chords. Not really sure when to end it, either. 

Julius - Trey laughs when he throws off the crowd. Julius rocked in '97, but this one just went on a little too long. 

Always been one of my favorite Fall '97 1st sets and least favorite 2nd sets. IMO, really aimless playing throughout the 2nd set. 
I give this a B-/C+ 

VA $l!m

had forgot about the gin being the first 2nd set opener version since 89.

suks that people dont enjoy this version. blows my mind really. sorry to repeat myself...
i actually sorta lump the dwd in with the gin as more of what i consider unrelenting soaring hose awesomeness, that AUG and others see as wankery. weird...

the only other gin i find comes close to this one being my favorite version is the riverport one from summer 98. a close second in my book.

the negative comments would usually prompt me to go back and relisten, but i've literally played this second set more than any other set over the last 12+ years. more than a 100 times for sure.
it does "IT" for me 100%, 100% of the time.
without much hesitation i have to say the gin is my favorite jam they ever played.

i saw other gins people apparently like more... 7.20.98, 6.28.00, maybe others... none of them even come close for me.
like i said, riverport is a close second (i was in the lot for that one), but for me at least this gin gives me a high nothing else the band ever played does.

moving on.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

whatapiper

Heh, just noticed that, I'll get that updated once I'm by my computer
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Hicks

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 27, 2011, 11:42:12 AM
had forgot about the gin being the first 2nd set opener version since 89.

suks that people dont enjoy this version. blows my mind really. sorry to repeat myself...
i actually sorta lump the dwd in with the gin as more of what i consider unrelenting soaring hose awesomeness, that AUG and others see as wankery. weird...

the only other gin i find comes close to this one being my favorite version is the riverport one from summer 98. a close second in my book.

the negative comments would usually prompt me to go back and relisten, but i've literally played this second set more than any other set over the last 12+ years. more than a 100 times for sure.
it does "IT" for me 100%, 100% of the time.
without much hesitation i have to say the gin is my favorite jam they ever played.

i saw other gins people apparently like more... 7.20.98, 6.28.00, maybe others... none of them even come close for me.
like i said, riverport is a close second (i was in the lot for that one), but for me at least this gin gives me a high nothing else the band ever played does.

moving on.

I'm with you Slim, if you cant handle teh rawk get out da kitchen!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

zimbra

I listened to this show last week (had no idea it was a pick).  Love the stash and gin from here, in it's entirety though I think it is pretty solid.  Theme was dropped so often then.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

danje

Lifeboy

Yeah, I think I agree with aug here as well. I never understood the hype about this Gin. Totally overrated IMO.   :|

I haven't gave it a spin in a while though. gonna re-listen this evening....
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke: