News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: mbw on October 26, 2013, 09:19:15 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on October 26, 2013, 09:09:26 AM
WTF are we doing awake?

lines blow off strippers asses, hopefully.

Quote from: blatboom on October 26, 2013, 09:35:04 AM
drink more beer gotta stay hydrated

Quote from: PG on October 26, 2013, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on October 26, 2013, 09:09:26 AM
x2.

WTF are we doing awake?

Honestly, my calf muscle cramped up in my sleep. It's really painful. That's what woke me up.

ALL signs of a good night.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sunrisevt

I'm just barely not tripping. Slept @ my brother in law's folks house--they run an in-home preschool, there's toys and miniature stuff all over. Had to pee like fifty times b/w 2 & 5 am. Coffee and cake w/ gramma, yes please.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

anthrax

Quote from: gah on October 26, 2013, 08:40:40 AM
all I know is I've fallen in love with this band all over again in the last week. That is all.

glad to have you back.  now, get your ass to new york city for new years eve.  that is all.

rowjimmy

I wrote a blog post that is largely a review of Hampton but the beginning and end bits are more about my relationship with Phish and if Phish is, indeed back.
Short version: Maybe

http://rowjimmy.net/?p=1313

There are also some lovely pictures that I didn't take if reading isn't your thing.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 30, 2013, 09:07:12 AM
I wrote a blog post that is largely a review of Hampton but the beginning and end bits are more about my relationship with Phish and if Phish is, indeed back.

There are also some lovely pictures that I didn't take if reading isn't your thing.

Look at the pretty lights!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PG on October 30, 2013, 09:13:37 AM

As a behind the stage/eyes-closed-dancer type, these lighting pics fascinate me. I never notice this stuff in the shows.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 30, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: PG on October 30, 2013, 09:13:37 AM

As a behind the stage/eyes-closed-dancer type, these lighting pics fascinate me. I never notice this stuff in the shows.

I'm with you... It's funny because I had floor tickets for the two DCU shows last weekend, so I spent both first sets mostly on the floor before heading back behind the stage with the paug crew (where I really belong). I thought going in that I'd get more into the light show being down there, but instead I spent the whole time down there spinning in circles barely looking at the stage.

In fact, the only time in recent years I've really gotten into watching the lights was at the ACL Fest gig. Something about being in Zilker Park where I've seen so many great sets from so many different bands and different genres made me watch Phish from an outsider's perspective that night. Plus it was my 100th show and I was just really reflective all night.

Buffalo Budd

I missed this thread, look forward to giving your writeup a proper read tonight RJ.
I have to say, I've not been this into the band in some time.  Whether that is because of their recent shows, my personal experience in Woosta or because others are getting more onboard, but I like it.  Great to have ya back GAH!!!
And I second the notion of behind the stage view, this is the way I want to experience Phish from now or at least when possible.  Thanks PG for showing me the way.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 30, 2013, 09:52:18 AM
I missed this thread, look forward to giving your writeup a proper read tonight RJ.
I have to say, I've not been this into the band in some time.  Whether that is because of their recent shows, my personal experience in Woosta or because others are getting more onboard, but I like it.  Great to have ya back GAH!!!
And I second the notion of behind the stage view, this is the way I want to experience Phish from now or at least when possible.  Thanks PG for showing me the way.

BM and I are not rookies.

VDB

One thing I kinda regret about Hampton is I didn't move around much. Was pretty much straight back, lower part of balcony, all three nights. Certainly not a bad spot by any means, and we had a crew with us, but definitely not the best use of three nights of GA access. I would like to experience behind the stage at some point.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Yeah I rocked behind or low beside the stage all weekend. Igbo and Blat & the Mrs' sat roughly straight back on Sunday night and I did go visit them but I didn't like the mix. Trey was too shrill.
Mike's zone was fucking boomtownTM and behind Page offers the only real view at what he's doing.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 30, 2013, 10:14:28 AM
Yeah I rocked behind or low beside the stage all weekend. Igbo and Blat & the Mrs' sat roughly straight back on Sunday night and I did go visit them but I didn't like the mix. Trey was too shrill.
Mike's zone was fucking boomtownTM and behind Page offers the only real view at what he's doing.

Mike zone/Boomtown...I like it.

Behind the stage is a solid spot, floor is fun, but like others I spend 90% of a show with my eyes closed so for me it's really about the sound, I always enjoying being as close to the sbd as possible because I figure that's where it's going to sound best. I started near it every night in Hampton but then ended up all over the floor.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

antelope19

I spent a majority of the weekend moving around and made a concerted effort to go behind the stage to spend some time with the paug crew and I had never really spent any time back there in all my years seeing concerts.  I was shocked at what a different experience it was.  The lights, the sound, the volume of said sound, the energy.  It was like two completely different shows/bands, if you follow me.  With that said, I kind of wish I had stayed in one place for more of the show on Saturday.  I found myself often distracted and on the move for alot of Saturday night.  Admittedly, my buzz was 10x what it was on Saturday night compared to Friday night as I was the DD on Friday and as we all know, that certainly contributes to the experience as well.  I blame the jalapeno IPA.   :wink: 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

emay

I really enjoy behind the stage, more of a concentrated feel, everyone is watching the show and the sound is crisp and perfect.
I also enjoy being lower rows on the first ring, its fun to watch people behind the stage

PIE-GUY

20 Years Later from last night.

Let me say this about Trey's playing in the last year or so... What I've noticed (and this video is a PRIME example), is that Trey's right hand is greatly improved. He's playing more rhythm and less lead, but even when he plays big leads he's doing great right had work. I've never thought of him as a great right-hand guitarist before. He's always been an impressive left-hand guitarist - playing machine gun notes all over the fretboard, etc. These days, I'm loving his rhythm skills.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but think about Pete Townshend. He has always been a great right-hand guitarist... one of the best ever, really. It's why I still go back and listen to Tommy every so often. Pete's acoustic work on that album is a thing to behold. It's all right-hand stuff, though. His left hand is not all over the place playing tons of notes.

Jimmy Page was great with both. Trey has always been good at both, but he was great with the left in the past and, I think, he is great with the right these days. The left has it's moments, too, but in 3.0 those moments are fewer.