News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

PHISH IS FUCKING BACK!!!!!!

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 08, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itsnotanexperience

I'm with Ramz on the Trey stuff overall.   Archive releases are big reminders of previous Jedi greatness and we aren't talking just technical brilliance alone - there was a fire in Trey I so rarely hear in him anymore that I still hear in other older players today (metheny always comes to mind and truly one of Trey's early influences.....Zappa) - of course neither of those two had a drug problem and perhaps the opiates fucked Trey up permanently.  I do love this band and what they are up to more and more the past year but will always miss Trey of old.   His Jedi mind tricks may have been icing on a much larger cake but I fucking love me some fucking icing.

emay

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on November 18, 2013, 08:44:26 PM
I'm with Ramz on the Trey stuff overall.   Archive releases are big reminders of previous Jedi greatness and we aren't talking just technical brilliance alone - there was a fire in Trey I so rarely hear in him anymore that I still hear in other older players today (metheny always comes to mind and truly one of Trey's early influences.....Zappa) - of course neither of those two had a drug problem and perhaps the opiates fucked Trey up permanently.  I do love this band and what they are up to more and more the past year but will always miss Trey of old.   His Jedi mind tricks may have been icing on a much larger cake but I fucking love me some fucking icing.

agreed with everything thats been said in this.
his jedi-ness really does show on archival releases esp these summer/fall/winter 95 releases. He just knew the material SO well from playing it so frequently that he could do some masterful stuff with it. He knew the ins and outs and timing on every composed piece and knew exactly when and how to throw in licks and shreds when he wanted.
He really was/is a master of improvisation and a master on the guitar.

birdman

Phish used to be Treys band. I feel He controlled all aspects of the music.
Over the last 20 years he's stepped back more and more  from that role.
I think what we hear now is a more mature band where each member is on equall footing in controlling the direction of music. It's not worse. It's just evolved.
Paug FTMFW!

rowjimmy

Quote from: birdman on November 18, 2013, 09:03:46 PM
I think what we hear now is a more mature band where each member is on equall footing in controlling the direction of music. It's not worse. It's just evolved.

It's like a new band built on top of the old one.

emay

Yeah def feel like all the members collaborate more on the Phish material now then before.
It used to be each of the members brought something musically to the jams and to the style/types of songs they played or covered. But Trey still called the shots on what songs to play/how to play it since I feel like him and tom were writing most the songs then. Or trey was at least writing all the music for them.

Nowadays they are all coming together as a group and collaborating and writing the music together. They def try to spread the music around and have each member contribute something. It also prob helps trey out more since he doesnt have as much responsibility with the music as he used to and can kind just sit back and ride for some of the songs. 

birdman

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 18, 2013, 09:08:27 PM

Exactly.
I'm sorry for those who missed those early years. But I've been there. I like where the band is now.
Paug FTMFW!

Caravan2001

Caravan2001

Quote from: birdman on November 18, 2013, 09:46:32 PM

Exactly.
I'm sorry for those who missed those early years. But I've been there. I like where the band is now.

Exactly....Seems like most people that were there feel the same way too.  At least all the people I know.

Buffalo Budd

Exactly.

This really says it all.  Not that I saw 95 shreddage but I'm loving what they're doing lately, leaves me wanting more.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

hoodie22

Exactly.

This makes me happy. I think a lot of people get caught up in the past. I think some of the criticism in the last 10 years is fair, there were some rough spots, but they're where they are now, which I think is a great place...they're clearly really happy and together. Sure, it's not the same as it was in 1995 (and I only have experience from that time through recordings), but its not 1995, its 2013 and I think what they're doing now is pretty damn good and they're all really in it, which I love. Just my .02.

Superfreakie

I'm coming up on a quarter century soon - how time flies - and the funny thing about Phish is that, no matter how hard I try not to, they keep tricking me into having a good time.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.