News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Under The Scales - Tom Marshall Podcast

Started by rowjimmy, November 07, 2016, 11:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

As mentioned in the HFPod thread, I'm on this week's Under The Scales.
Check it out.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 14, 2016, 03:38:42 PM
As mentioned in the HFPod thread, I'm on this week's Under The Scales.
Check it out.

Nice.

I listened to episodes 2 and 3 the other day. Let me join the others in saying I find the culture of rail-riding to be borderline insane.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

I'm up to date on UtS now... and my one comment is that I find Tom's lack of knowledge in the areas he is covering as refreshing as it is surprising. I mean, it seems like in almost every case (granted it's just two areas so far, Rail riding and taping) he is just clueless... yet he is 20 yards from these people like a dozen nights a year for 30 years. I love it!

As for it being refreshing, I think a lot of Phish discussion out there comes from a place assumed knowledge amongst us. Tom seems to come without any of that baggage. It makes for a great listen.

Though, there are times when I'm like "the correct answer is out there and nobody here seems to know it." For example, the issue of soundboard patches. Paul allowed them in the 80's and there was a specific moment - like the beginning of 1990 or something, when an announcement was made to the community that patches would no longer be available.

Anyway. I'm loving it.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Quote from: PGLHAH on November 14, 2016, 04:58:12 PM
I find Tom's lack of knowledge in the areas he is covering as refreshing as it is surprising.

I'm having the same reaction. Asking myself, "How is this guy not at least equally as big a Phish geek as all the rest of us?"

Also, RJ, well done on the taping episode.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

To some degree, Tom is trying to draw the answers out of his guests but he is also there to learn.
Tom may be one of the fans that's been around the longest but there are definitely folks who seen more shows. His experience as a fan is as distinct as many of ours and few of us know everything about everything.

As for the sbd patch question, I simply didn't see it coming. Hell, I wasn't expecting to meet Tom much less record a podcast that day.

Caravan2001

Finally got around to playing this.  Dig it.

PIE-GUY

New ep is up - Paul Glace the founder/owner of PT. Wonder if he asks how much he makes off the ads on that godforsaken site.

mbw

QuotePaul Glace, founder of PhantasyTour.com, is featured. We discuss the site's origins and how it grew to the incredible Phish fan destination it is today.

:roll:

PIE-GUY

Most shocking revelation to me was that paul and his brother apparently make enough from PT that it is their full time job.

They're basically the nitrous mafia. They make boatloads of cash selling something the people are addicted to like crack while adding no real value to the scene.

That's harsh, I know. There is something unique about PT... and I've been on there for a decade plus... but it seems so half-assed yet apparently it's pretty damned profitable.

3 million views a week for an average of 15 minutes and a dozen pages visited. That's internet gold for advertising. PTers are making this family wealthy.

rowjimmy

They have ads?

I thought it was an interesting interview. I had an account on there for the game way back when it was new.

emay

Pretty much like the tabloids of the jam scene (along with live for live music except PT is worse. Maybe like a less valuable reddit of the jam scene. ). I've gotten some last minute hotel reservations really close to spac and MPp a couple times on PT but it's pretty much just fans in their basements bragging stats or some bs. There is potential laugh material in there though for jam related gifs memes etc but we have terry on staff for that here.

rowjimmy

I don't think theres any need to dwell too much on how our communities differ. I think it's enough clear to any of us.

Regardless of that and for better or for worse, PT has become a signifcant sector in the online Phish universe. I learned a few things.

Buffalo Budd

I learned long ago it wasn't my avenue for discussion but I still use it to lurk and check rumors/dates. It totally has it's place in the community imo and if you are easily offended, just may not be the place for you.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 05, 2016, 09:25:47 AM
They have ads?

I thought it was an interesting interview. I had an account on there for the game way back when it was new.

The set list game is why I started a pt account. And I've posted about my shirts on there a few times.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 05, 2016, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on December 05, 2016, 09:25:47 AM
They have ads?

The set list game is why I started a pt account. And I've posted about my shirts on there a few times.

Can't lie - I'm a lurker over there. I mainly follow the ATX and Jazzfest threads - then I like to get into with the idiots when I get bored sometimes - especially when this board gets slow.

To give you an idea - in half the time, I have twice the posts here as there:

Stats
Joined   11/27/2003
Total Posts   8280
Total Shows   176